Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Ah, too bad I have the Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express Dock.
I have already flashed it, and it worked great for a while. Trying to understand if I did something wrong or if hardware issue. 99% I did something wrong
Have you tried a cold boot? This requires flipping power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds or pulling power cable from the wall for 10 seconds, then reconnecting and booting.

Have you tried a cold boot? This requires flipping power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds or pulling power cable from the wall for 10 seconds, then reconnecting and booting.

I have tried cold boot many times yes, swapped port, cables too.
It was working for a bit, had to boot into macos in order to have it on Windows, which is fine w me. On macos the desktop image started resetting to white, just started to become less consistent all around. Sometimes it would work after sleep, othertimes it would turn on no problem, others nothing at all. My other Asus monitor started to boot to black as well. So I rolled back to my backup. Tried the DROM again, and this time ATD is getting nothing.

We can try two things one by one:
  1. First, please try unchecking NVMeFix.kext from OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel.
    • Does macOS boot?
  2. If not, in which M.2 slot is the SK Hynix NVMe SSD installed? It may be possible to create an SSDT that hides it from macOS, but allows Windows to use it.
@CaseySJ Thanks for your answers. Always appreciated.
I'll try solution 1 first and let you know.
Regarding option 2, the SK hynix is currently in slot #3 whose bandwidth is shared with the pcie x4 slot.
In that slot I currently have the WD SN750 1TB. will the SSDT only hide the M2 slot without impacting the pciex4 slot?

You may have seen this already: Radeon RX 6xxx support already seems to exist in macOS Big Sur.

Nice. I hope AMD has done something to prevent a repeat of the RTX 3080 launch.

And Gigabyte. Please. We need AMD GPU in the Vision series.

We can try two things one by one:
  1. First, please try unchecking NVMeFix.kext from OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel.
    • Does macOS boot?
  2. If not, in which M.2 slot is the SK Hynix NVMe SSD installed? It may be possible to create an SSDT that hides it from macOS, but allows Windows to use it.
@CaseySJ tried first solution to disable nvmefix.kext but same issue. Macos does not boot and stop at the exact same error.
Looks like I might have to follow the SSDT path.
any idea/suggestion on how to create such SSDT? I am currently using yours. The hynix drive will be installed in the last slot next to the pcie x4 slot. I have removed it from the time being.

Also not related to this thread but a few people with a vision D have experienced hanging on boot after a restart. I have the exact same issue and I don't think it is related to the MB being faulty. if from opencore I boot windows 10 and from windows 10 I select restart, it restarts with no issue. The gigabyte logo is displayed along with the options at the bottom of the screen (F12:boot, etc.). Then after a few seconds the options disappear leaving only the logo and then the boot picker is displayed. And I can repeat the procedure over and over. However, if I boot macos then I select restart, the system restarts, gigabyte logo and options are displayed and then it is stuck on that screen. The options do not disappear. And this will happen all the time. Only option is to power off when stuck on the logo then power on and it is ok. I don't know what it is but something happens maybe at the bios level or OC level when a restart is performed from macos.

any idea/suggestion on how to create such SSDT? I am currently using yours. The hynix drive will be installed in the last slot next to the pcie x4 slot. I have removed it from the time being.
I'll send you an SSDT to try shortly.

Update: Please try one of the attached SSDTs at a time. These have not been tested so you're the "COVID vaccine test subject"! ;)

Attachments

• SSDT-Z490-VISION-D-DISABLE-NVME-3-RP09.aml
    214 bytes · Views: 73
  • SSDT-Z490-VISION-D-DISABLE-NVME-3-RP13.aml
    214 bytes · Views: 77
Last edited:
Apologies if I'm replying out of turn as I haven't followed every detail, but just in case...

If it's a file permission problem (as opposed to a filesystem read-only problem) maybe you just need to run the command as root:

sudo mv ioupsd ioupsd.ORIG

Thanks, but that didn't work either. See attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 14.53.57.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 14.53.57.png
    23 KB · Views: 67
Back