Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I got my hopes up there for a moment. Unfortunately, no change. :( I really thought this was going to be THE fix since it describes my issue well. Thanks again.

Ed

@EdPayne Just out of curiosity, what PSU do you have?

Edit: NVM, saw one of your earlier posts (Corsair RM750)

-----

I just put together a new build with Z490 Vision D + 10900k and am running into the same issue as you. The machine does not wake from sleep in Windows or macOS, with ONLY the CPU and GPU (5700XT) plugged in along with an NVMe SSD.

The components we have in common are 64GB Memory (16GBX4) and NZXT H510 (I have the non i version) => As strange as it sounds, I'm wondering it is either or both of them. I'm going to try plugging in just one or two sticks of RAM, plus try the whole setup outside of the case to see if I have any luck. Please do keep me posted if you manage to get this resolved :)

Last edited:
Hi again,
Maybe I should post somewhere else? let me know if somewhere else is best.
Anyone have ideas where to start troubleshooting an Apple Thunderbolt Display?
worked the first time after trying the Hackindrom, became less stable. So I rolled back to a backup and tried again. Now nothing on the monitor.
any ideas,
thanks

@CaseySJ I have recently bought a new NVMe of a new kind; SK Hynix P31 Gold 1TB. By new kind I mean it is the first one of its kind with 128 layers of NAND. Anyway long story short, when I plug it in on the MB, macos does not boot.
Here is a screenshot of the boot screen after adding -v to the boot arguments:

1601374163122.png

We can see that there is an AppleNVME failed assertion and a panic a bit further up (following the applenvmerequesttimer call).
I have 2 samsung evo+ (1TB and 250GB), 1TB WD SN750 on a pciex4 adapter card and this new one. My intention was that given this new NVMe drive is currently the second fastest NVMe on the market with very low temperature, to clone my current boot NVME drive on that ssd and reformat the current macos drive (1TB) for windows 10. Windows 10 is currently installed on the evo+ 250gb and I am running out of disk space (thanks to MS flight sim which takes 110GB).
Any suggestion regarding the above issue with this SSD?
Hynix is a well known brand for memory but it is the first time they venture in the NVMe market and as such their website has not support page for firmware update.
Note that this drive boots fine with windows 10 via OC multiboot.
Thanks

PS: I tried the new NVMe drive in all MB M2 slots as well as the PCIe x4 adaptor. Same pb except when it is in the adapter card. When it is inserted in the M2 slot on that card, the SSD is not detected at all whether it is in the BIOS or Windows 10.

PS #1: just found out this reply from Hynix on the web:
"Thank you for reaching out to SK Hynix support team.

Unfortunately, SK Hynix Gold P31 is not compatible with MacOS.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Best regards,
SK Hynix support team."

IT turns out that the controller itself is not supported. I have found some patches that rehabman wrote 3 years ago for SSD drives that were causing issues (Hynix was one of them, not with this model but with standard SSDs) but it is too old to use.
is there a way in that case in OC to ignore/exclude this NVMe drive while booting macos but keeping it when booting windows? That would be a shame not to be able to use this SSD :(

Last edited:
Hey, Sorry for this stupid question I just don't want to delete the wrong drive

I am at the beginning of installation Step 8, I have 2 same WD SN750 SSDs 500GB one with Windows, the other is empty.

I see in Disk Utility 2 drives with the same name one has a blue bar and one has a red bar, I suppose I need to erase the one with the blue bar right? It should be the empty one

It's much harder to do this in Big Sur. Below is an article that describes the procedure. See Bypassing SSV (SSV = Signed System Volume).

Thanks for the information.

I’m struggling to understand snapshots!

Unfortunately I have not yet been able to get the command line right to achieve any success. Also should it be the ‘preboot’ volume that I should be mounting?

Anyone tried this?

Attachments

• CCBE1E2F-5DE5-4142-943D-34D3B029872B.jpeg
    CCBE1E2F-5DE5-4142-943D-34D3B029872B.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 76
@CaseySJ I have recently bought a new NVMe of a new kind; SK Hynix P31 Gold 1TB. By new kind I mean it is the first one of its kind with 128 layers of NAND. Anyway long story short, when I plug it in on the MB, macos does not boot.
Here is a screenshot of the boot screen after adding -v to the boot arguments:

View attachment 489884

We can see that there is an AppleNVME failed assertion and a panic a bit further up (following the applenvmerequesttimer call).
I have 2 samsung evo+ (1TB and 250GB), 1TB WD SN750 on a pciex4 adapter card and this new one. My intention was that given this new NVMe drive is currently the second fastest NVMe on the market with very low temperature, to clone my current boot NVME drive on that ssd and reformat the current macos drive (1TB) for windows 10. Windows 10 is currently installed on the evo+ 250gb and I am running out of disk space (thanks to MS flight sim which takes 110GB).
Any suggestion regarding the above issue with this SSD?
Hynix is a well known brand for memory but it is the first time they venture in the NVMe market and as such their website has not support page for firmware update.
Note that this drive boots fine with windows 10 via OC multiboot.
Thanks

PS: I tried the new NVMe drive in all MB M2 slots as well as the PCIe x4 adaptor. Same pb except when it is in the adapter card. When it is inserted in the M2 slot on that card, the SSD is not detected at all whether it is in the BIOS or Windows 10.

PS #1: just found out this reply from Hynix on the web:
"Thank you for reaching out to SK Hynix support team.

Unfortunately, SK Hynix Gold P31 is not compatible with MacOS.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Best regards,
SK Hynix support team."

IT turns out that the controller itself is not supported. I have found some patches that rehabman wrote 3 years ago for SSD drives that were causing issues (Hynix was one of them, not with this model but with standard SSDs) but it is too old to use.
is there a way in that case in OC to ignore/exclude this NVMe drive while booting macos but keeping it when booting windows? That would be a shame not to be able to use this SSD :(
We can try two things one by one:
  1. First, please try unchecking NVMeFix.kext from OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel.
    • Does macOS boot?
  2. If not, in which M.2 slot is the SK Hynix NVMe SSD installed? It may be possible to create an SSDT that hides it from macOS, but allows Windows to use it.

Hey, Sorry for this stupid question I just don't want to delete the wrong drive

I am at the beginning of installation Step 8, I have 2 same WD SN750 SSDs 500GB one with Windows, the other is empty.

I see in Disk Utility 2 drives with the same name one has a blue bar and one has a red bar, I suppose I need to erase the one with the blue bar right? It should be the empty one
Have you selected View --> Show all Devices in Disk Utility? If so, what drives do you see listed on the left side bar of Disk Utility? Disk Utility should tell you which one is Windows. If in doubt, take a screenshot or photo of Disk Utility.

Thanks for the information.

I’m struggling to understand snapshots!

Unfortunately I have not yet been able to get the command line right to achieve any success. Also should it be the ‘preboot’ volume that I should be mounting?

Anyone tried this?
Try the disk labeled "Big Sur" (disk4s5). I've never does this myself so it may be better to search the Internet on this one. If you can boot into Recovery (I am told that OC 0.6.1 is able to do this), then the root filesystem should already be read/write or at least much easier to make it r/w.

Back