Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I accidentally figured out what I had done. When I updated the EFI folder on the Flash drive, I didn't boot the Flash Drive from BIOS but instead picked it from the OC Picker (which brought Recovery which confused me at the time). Turns out, if I setup the EFI correctly on the Flash Drive and use BIOS to boot from the Flash drive, that sets the Machine ID, SN, etc. After that it doesn't seem to matter what the EFI config.plist says on the internal drive.
Yup, it's always the little things. ;)

Just got my new PC with NX800 case which has 1 USB 3 and 2 USB 2.0 ports in the front would that be a problem bcuz of mac 15 ports limit?
Also planning to buy a monitor which also has usb ports would that be a problem as well?

Just got my new PC with NX800 case which has 1 USB 3 and 2 USB 2.0 ports in the front would that be a problem bcuz of mac 15 ports limit?
Also planning to buy a monitor which also has usb ports would that be a problem as well?
Neither one of those is an issue.
  • Internal USB 2 headers (on motherboard) that connect to USB 2 ports on the front of the case are governed by a USB hub that counts as one port.
  • USB ports on the monitor are governed by a USB controller inside the monitor. So that has no effect on the USB port limit of the USB controller in the Intel Z490 chipset.

Reactions: nss
Hi @CaseySJ I just reinstall Catalina now with the RX580 card (was using iGPU), hoping that with this I can make my interface work (Slate Digital VRS8), but nothing :lol:, however the problem with safari and other apps was solved.
How can I diagnose the issue ongoing with the VRS8? Basically gets connected but doesn't recognizes by the macOS, this was an early issue with the Z390 mobo, later it gets fixed thanks to @luckyal:
Post 1: Vt-d enabled and dart=0 removed
Post 2: Using Aptiomemoryfix64
I will be grateful for any possible help :)

Hi @CaseySJ I just reinstall Catalina now with the RX580 card (was using iGPU), hoping that with this I can make my interface work (Slate Digital VRS8), but nothing :lol:, however the problem with safari and other apps was solved.
How can I diagnose the issue ongoing with the VRS8? Basically gets connected but doesn't recognizes by the macOS, this was an early issue with the Z390 mobo, later it gets fixed thanks to @luckyal:
Post 1: Vt-d enabled and dart=0 removed
Post 2: Using Aptiomemoryfix64
I will be grateful for any possible help :)
Hello @Fabrizzioa04,

We can disable Vt-d in BIOS, remove dart=0 from OpenCore boot-args, and uncheck DevirtualizeMMIO. This is all shown below.

However, make these changes to a USB Flash Disk. Copy your existing EFI partition from internal NVMe SSD to the EFI partition of a USB flash disk and make that changes to the USB flash disk. Then boot and hold F12 to open the BIOS Boot Menu and select the USB Flash Disk. Then select macOS from the OpenCore Picker.

These changes can make the EFI folder unbootable. That's why it should be done on USB flash disk.
Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 11.22.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 11.21.56 AM.png

disk0s1 is your Windows disk, surely you want disk1s1. Download and use EFIAgent, far better IMO
[/QUOTE
Hey Ploddles,

You are correct, I must have mistyped.

Will take a look at EFIAgent. Thanks

Rand
Sorry Ploddles, you are correct. I must have mistyped. Now that I've gotten to iMac 20,2 and I also decided to reinstall OS from recovery, the "diskutil list" appears to have changed. Still trying to figure that out. At the moment booted into 10.15.7 with iMac 20,2, "diskutil list" shows /dev/disk0 as an Apple_APFS and /dev/disk1 as Windows. I had reinstalled 10.15.7 from Recovery Disk and now OC Picker shows a Mac Install Disk. Looks like I may not have finished the re-installing of 10.15.7. May have something to do with that. Thanks for your help.

Rand

Last edited:
Hello @Fabrizzioa04,

We can disable Vt-d in BIOS, remove dart=0 from OpenCore boot-args, and uncheck DevirtualizeMMIO. This is all shown below.

However, make these changes to a USB Flash Disk. Copy your existing EFI partition from internal NVMe SSD to the EFI partition of a USB flash disk and make that changes to the USB flash disk. Then boot and hold F12 to open the BIOS Boot Menu and select the USB Flash Disk. Then select macOS from the OpenCore Picker.

These changes can make the EFI folder unbootable. That's why it should be done on USB flash disk.
View attachment 489633
View attachment 489632
@CaseySJ Thanks for your answer :clap:, I made the changes and it boots but still does not recognize the VRS8, How much its the configuration difference between clover and open core? Because it was working flawlessly with clover in the z390, maybe there's something else I can try?

In my case the Intel AX201 WiFi is performing more than twice as fast as the Fenvi from the same location. But AirDrop and Handoff are very glitchy. Basic WiFi and Bluetooth are quite good.
I’m gonna have to test. I use Aquantia 10 gbps anyways so all I really need is Bluetooth but would be good to have the ax201 working so I can remove the fenvi.

Sorry Ploddles, you are correct. I must have mistyped. Now that I've gotten to iMac 20,2 and I also decided to reinstall OS from recovery, the "diskutil list" appears to have changed. Still trying to figure that out. At the moment booted into 10.15.7 with iMac 20,2, "diskutil list" shows /dev/disk0 as an Apple_APFS and /dev/disk1 as Windows. I had reinstalled 10.15.7 from Recovery Disk and now OC Picker shows a Mac Install Disk. Looks like I may not have finished the re-installing of 10.15.7. May have something to do with that. Thanks for your help.

Rand

Don't worry about disk numbers changing between boots, it happens all the time. disk1 today might be disk2 tomorrow after a reboot. All that matters is that you choose the correct EFI Partition to modify. You can also Mount EFI partitions from the Tools menu in Opencore Configurator - again, it is graphical so helps in choosing the correct one.

Back