Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Good question. We've been using 0x3E980003 (Coffee Lake), but latest builds of Catalina should natively support Comet Lake processors, so we could try 0x9BC50003 in reverse byte order: 0300C59B.

View attachment 489443
Casey,

I used AMD config.plist when I built my Hackintosh. Everything is great BTW! However, I have an i9-10900K processor and am wondering if I should change the machine ID to iMac 20,2 instead of iMac 19,1. Using OC 0.6.1. If I want to do that I assume I would change processor ID to 0x9BC50003 in reverse byte order 0x0300C59B, per the above comments. However, I'm wondering if this also requires changing the system serial number, system uuid, MLB, and ROM? It appears to me that those would have to change since the model number is changing. I'm using a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT as the AMD graphics card. Was wondering if making this change would offer any improvements in performance (because the OS thinks it is a different machine), or is it just cosmetic?

Thanks

Rand

CaseySJ,

This was, without a doubt, the easiest and most comprehensive Hackintosh build I've ever done. Thank so much for the great write-up and build.
Hello @patsoffice,

Welcome to the forum! Always particularly nice to see a zero-issue, zero-complaint post! :)

Casey,

I used AMD config.plist when I built my Hackintosh. Everything is great BTW! However, I have an i9-10900K processor and am wondering if I should change the machine ID to iMac 20,2 instead of iMac 19,1. Using OC 0.6.1. If I want to do that I assume I would change processor ID to 0x9BC50003 in reverse byte order 0x0300C59B, per the above comments. However, I'm wondering if this also requires changing the system serial number, system uuid, MLB, and ROM? It appears to me that those would have to change since the model number is changing. I'm using a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT as the AMD graphics card. Was wondering if making this change would offer any improvements in performance (because the OS thinks it is a different machine), or is it just cosmetic?

Thanks

Rand
Hello @RandC,

I think this is going to be very frequent and very legitimate question now that macOS supports Comet Lake processors with the release of iMac 20,1 and iMac 20,2. My thoughts on this are as follows:
  • Although I have not seen reports of any material benefits in switching to iMac 20,1 or iMac20,2, when the next version of OpenCore releases, I'll probably make this the default configuration.
  • This requires the use of USBInjectAll 0.7.6 as stated at the top of Post 1. So the next OpenCore EFI zip will contain that as well.
  • I don't think it's technically necessary to change Serial Number, Board Serial Number, and System UUID. Try changing only the system name and perhaps run GeekBench CPU and GPU tests.
  • Note that 0x9BC50003 is not the Processor ID. It is the iGPU platform ID.

Hey,
I'm also using a H710i NZXT case but am not using the NZXT controller for the fans because I didn't think there was a Mac OS X application that would work with the NZXT controller. I'm using the controller for the lights and Casey's liquidctl but my fans are connected to the MB. I don't think Mac OS controls them either but am not completely sure (Novice here). Think they are controlled by BIOS. Anyway, if you know of a way that the NZXT controller can control the fans in Mac OS X, I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

Thanks so much!

Rand

I dual boot windows and just set the fans in that OS. I read in the Hackintosh ****** that one user used Parallels to use the NZXT cam software. Not sure if that will work though.

Couple of suggestions:
  • On a Hackintosh, Samsung 970 EVO Plus can run hot. The coolest NVMe we've seen so far is Sabrent Rocket.
  • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT has been giving people some trouble. Recommended ones are:
    • Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT
    • PowerColor Red Dragon
    • Some others; in general it's good to avoid Overclock/Gaming cards

I do have a Sabrent Rocket PCIE 3.0 one that has a Windows Install on it. I will clone it to the Samsung and put that in the Windows machine and use the Rocket for this build. Unfortunately, New Egg failed again, parts were suppose to be here today, but now it says Monday.

I will post back when I get the build complete.

Good question. We've been using 0x3E980003 (Coffee Lake), but latest builds of Catalina should natively support Comet Lake processors, so we could try 0x9BC50003 in reverse byte order: 0300C59B.

View attachment 489443

Not to be contradictory, but it seems the Dortania Guide recommends this frame buffer for comet lake desktops:

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.34.21 PM.png

I've been using this with my build since I started and it seems to work fine (iMac20,2, 10900k)

As I'm relatively new to Hackintoshes, and I've been curious what difference the model makes when configuring OC, I decided to conduct some tests on my own system. This was not a particularly scientific test, but I thought some people might find it interesting, so I decided to share my results. OS is Catalina 10.15.7 and I used CaseySJ's 'OC-061-VISION-D' as the base OC config (only Model was changed).
  • iMacPro 1,1
  • MacPro 7,1
  • iMac 20,2
  • iMac 20,1
  • iMac 19,1
Geekbench 5 scores:
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.04.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.04.40 PM.png

Couple notes:
  • MacPro gave me an error stating that my RAM was misconfigured and over the supported maximum. Did not investigate.
  • Only iMac 19,1 and iMacPro 1,1 worked with iStat Menus to display all the sensors in the below screenshot. The other models only showed two or three sensors (can't remember which).
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.15.04 PM.png

Last edited:
Hello @RandC,

I think this is going to be very frequent and very legitimate question now that macOS supports Comet Lake processors with the release of iMac 20,1 and iMac 20,2. My thoughts on this are as follows:
  • Although I have not seen reports of any material benefits in switching to iMac 20,1 or iMac20,2, when the next version of OpenCore releases, I'll probably make this the default configuration.
  • This requires the use of USBInjectAll 0.7.6 as stated at the top of Post 1. So the next OpenCore EFI zip will contain that as well.
  • I don't think it's technically necessary to change Serial Number, Board Serial Number, and System UUID. Try changing only the system name and perhaps run GeekBench CPU and GPU tests.
  • Note that 0x9BC50003 is not the Processor ID. It is the iGPU platform ID.
Thanks Casey,

I updated to OC 0.6.1 so it contains USBInjectALL 0.7.6 from your OC update guide and files.
Think I will try the following and see what happens:

1. Go into my current OC config.plist and select the model to be iMac 20,2 (since I have the AMD 5700 graphics card).
2. Doing that seems to change the Serial Number, Board Serial Number, and System UUID. It also adds PlatformVRAM information, BID, Firmware Features, Firmware Features Mask.
3. Do model lookup and check coverage so that everything passes muster.

Move that EFI folder to my Boot Flash Drive and see if it will boot (with Ethernet unplugged)
If that boots, sign out iCloud and move the EFI folder to my System Boot partition and see if the system will boot and is stable. Plug ethernet back in and log back in to iCloud. [After making a backup of course :)]

Thanks

Rand

If this pertains to your Asus X99 EWS, it would be better to post this in the Catalina or Mojave Desktop Support forum.
No its related to a Z490 Vision D.
The blue ports in the back have 2.0 speeds.
I know they are part of a hub. The yellow ones are ok.
All the other ports works ok.
Could you please check your speeds?
Thanks in advance

Back