Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I already got it. I got both Actually, one for this and the 10850K for a Asus Z490-F Hack build I am doing for gaming.

I have read this entire post today and sprung for the parts for a new Hackintosh build.

I just wanted to say thanks for all your very informative posts on this board. My plan was to buy a Mac Pro, when I got done with the configuration I was at $8000. My wife said 8O

So here I am. Building my own Mac again. I will be using it for Final Cut Pro X Mainly. If have any additional pointers it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my parts list (I wanted a 10900k but I can not find any in stock)

Bequiet Pure Base 500DX Black
Seasonic Focus GX650W Gold PSU
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Intel i9 10900 w/Bequiet Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
64GB Corsair DDR4 3200
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Seagate EXOS 4TB Enterprise HDD (Storage)
Saphire Nitro+ Radeon RX5700XT 8GB Video Card
Fenvi BT/Wifi BCM4360/AC1200

Again thanks for all your hard work on this. I am hoping for a smooth install.!! :)
Couple of suggestions:
  • On a Hackintosh, Samsung 970 EVO Plus can run hot. The coolest NVMe we've seen so far is Sabrent Rocket.
  • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT has been giving people some trouble. Recommended ones are:
    • Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT
    • PowerColor Red Dragon
    • Some others; in general it's good to avoid Overclock/Gaming cards

@schreiberstein / All,

Please refer to Big Sur Public Beta builds by their public release numbers:
  • Big Sur Public Beta 4 is the latest. It was released yesterday.
  • It's the 4th one released to the public, hence public beta 4.
  • If you don't use this naming scheme, it will appear as if you're discussing a developer beta. Hence your post can be deleted.

Confirmed UAD Apollo Twin MkII - DUO on driver 9.12.101 (bootloarder 5.01.004, framework 9.13.26053) running at 192k glitch free.

Thanks for the fantastic guide.

@schreiberstein / All,

Please refer to Big Sur Public Beta builds by their public release numbers:
  • Big Sur Public Beta 4 is the latest. It was released yesterday.
  • It's the 4th one released to the public, hence public beta 4.
  • If you don't use this naming scheme, it will appear as if you're discussing a developer beta. Hence your post can be deleted.

I installed the Public Beta! It is not my fault when Apple's public beta updater offers me updates from a different update channel! I have read online that it happens somehow and that people get confused. It certainly has never happened to me before, but on Big Sur it did. I am not kidding you, nor was I eager to "sneak" into the developer update channel. Software update said there was an update, so I installed it. Nevermind, I will simply not talk about Big Sur at all.

Last edited:
I have read this entire post today and sprung for the parts for a new Hackintosh build.

I just wanted to say thanks for all your very informative posts on this board. My plan was to buy a Mac Pro, when I got done with the configuration I was at $8000. My wife said 8O

So here I am. Building my own Mac again. I will be using it for Final Cut Pro X Mainly. If have any additional pointers it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my parts list (I wanted a 10900k but I can not find any in stock)

Bequiet Pure Base 500DX Black
Seasonic Focus GX650W Gold PSU
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Intel i9 10900 w/Bequiet Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
64GB Corsair DDR4 3200
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Seagate EXOS 4TB Enterprise HDD (Storage)
Saphire Nitro+ Radeon RX5700XT 8GB Video Card
Fenvi BT/Wifi BCM4360/AC1200

Again thanks for all your hard work on this. I am hoping for a smooth install.!! :)
I had a similar experience with a custom build iMac 2020 but my wife wanted me to buy it. After a week of use, I sent it back to Apple. Now I have a new hack

I installed the Public Beta! It is not my fault when Apple's public beta updater offers me updates from a different update channel! I have read online that it happens somehow and that people get confused. It certainly has never happened to me before, but on Big Sur it did. I am not kidding you, nor was I eager to "sneak" into the developer update channel. Software update said there was an update, so I installed it. Nevermind, I will simply not talk about Big Sur at all.
Public betas have the same version numbers as developer betas. They are the same builds -- the same code.

The only thing we have to be careful about is how we refer to these betas. It's just the name we use. We need to call them "Public Beta" followed by the iteration of the public beta. Current version is Public Beta #4.

This is to avoid any semblance of violating an Apple NDA agreement.

The only thing we have to be careful about is how we refer to these betas. It's just the name we use. We need to call them "Public Beta" followed by the iteration of the public beta. Current version is Public Beta #4.

This is to avoid any semblance of violating an Apple NDA agreement.

Call me confused! I downloaded through Software Update this morning and the software was labelled "Big Sur Beta 8" by Apple!

So unless I keep up with the latest Mac news, and some article tells me that the just released public beta was #4, how am I supposed to know which public beta it is? That method of counting makes no sense unless Apple describes their files that way. That's sort of like Apple naming Big Sur both macOS 10.16.0 and macOS 11.0. Why can't they decide which it is? What's so difficult for Apple to name their files appropriately in Software Update?

So if a poster calls the software a "Big Sur Public Beta" regardless of which # it is, then I think the moderators should be a little more flexible about deleting posts.

I join @schreiberstein and won't mention Big Sur until it's released.

Obligatory, YO thank you so much everyone who keeps this site going and CaseySJ for this great guide.
Built this in the end of July and it was pretty easy-success!!. Coming from clover- 1st build was 2014.
I'm frequently in Windows and going back and forth has been a breeze. Build is very similar to guide, but w 2x XFX Radeon RX 580(pretty sure these were advised against but it's what i have.)
Now to the part where I ask for some help.

I've been using a Apple Cinema Display(DVI) and a not so great Asus VK228 (HDMI), both going to the same RX 580.
Anyway, last week I decided i was ready to try flashing the thunderbolt, I need it for a few pieces of gear, and wanted a Rasp Pi anyway.Read directions about 15 times, struggled getting the connector on the chip just so...the DROM website confused me a bit,....ok...what now..but..success!!! for a few days.
Blackmagic products are packed away, but my Belkin and Apple Thunderbolt Display were working, webcam and all. I had to boot into macos first anytime I wanted to get the thunderbolt display to work on windows, not sure if this the way it is, but I was ok w that. Felt stable enough to put away the Apple Cinema display, and just use the Asus and ATD.

So after a couple days, power ups etc. Booting into macos and windows started taking longer. My background in macos also was blank after a day or so, kept resetting it to a pic and it would go back to white again next boot. Then the thunderbolt display just stopped working in windows all together(except once when I left it on for 20 mins while I walked away, kept working after sleep too??)

Now ATD doesn't work in macos..and the ASUS monitor is black as well. Using the ACD to write this now.
I have a backup pre thunderbolt flash, but it would be helpful to know where to start troubleshooting without rolling back, as I'd likely repeat, and I'd like to learn this a bit more. Thunderbolt IO looks correct. Bios priority display PCI1 is correct. I've tried switching to MB HDMI, to the 2nd gc hdmi, disconnecting the 2nd gc. Not using the thunderbolt at all. I read somewhere the HDMI combos can be tricky.
Did something get reset?
Do I need to reset something?
something w Whatevergreen?
Perhaps I messed up the Thunderbolt drom,
Where should I be looking. What should I avoid too...I felt so close.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Sorry this was long.
thanks

CPU Upgrade -> "Gaming Profile" adds 100 MHz to turbo boost frequencies for all cores.
VCore "Fixed" on 1.2V (and not, it's not really fixed, it can automatically changed in some range, but with "Auto" VCore voltage it can be 1.5V+)
Loadline Calibration on "Low"

Real VCore on heavy load (Cinebench R20) is 1.31-1.32V.

You need to test system stability with any manual settings. You can fix VCore on higher voltage and lower LLC setting, or lower voltage and higher LLC setting.
View attachment 487245
View attachment 487246

Thanks for this. I did this and also turned off "Enhanced Multicore Performance" and watched my cpu Temps go from 80-90C down to a nice 65C!

THANK YOU. When the fans kicked on before it sounded like a rocket ship. I have a quiet build now :)

Last edited:
Back