Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ so I followed thru on all the steps you posted and got the hack to boot into macOS successfully from the external ssd however when I try to login to the account I created it freezes after I type my password and hit enter. I reused the EFI data created for the usb installer, not sure if that could cause a problem. Thanks for all your help so far definitely getting closer to having this up and running

@CaseySJ so I followed thru on all the steps you posted and got the hack to boot into macOS successfully from the external ssd however when I try to login to the account I created it freezes after I type my password and hit enter. I reused the EFI data created for the usb installer, not sure if that could cause a problem. Thanks for all your help so far definitely getting closer to having this up and running
That is the right EFI. Some questions:
  • Are you installing Catalina 10.15.6?
  • Is BIOS set up correctly? Are you using BIOS F5?
  • Are you using SMBIOS iMac19,1 or iMac20,1?
  • Also change Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled as shown. This can be done on your MacBook Pro by connecting the external USB SSD enclosure, mounting the EFI partition, and editing the config.plist. Then connect the SSD back to the Hackintosh and try booting macOS once again.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 3.10.37 PM.png

I just recently purchased a M720 mouse from Costco that does the same, up to 3 different computers. Works pretty well for the most part. You can even copy/paste between computers (doesn't seem to work on big files, but works on text files and simple things). There are a few keyboards that do the same and will automatically switch with the mouse. Pretty cool tech!

But I do have lag issues with the mouse on both Mac and Windows. Seems to lose connection for a split second every so often. Logitech forum posts have other people mentioning it. So may be worth checking for firmware updates to the Logitech dongle/mouse and moving the dongle to different USB ports incase of interference if you notice a problem. I haven't solved it on mine yet.
Good to know. I've been using Logitech Unifying mice and keyboards for years with no trouble, so eager to see if Logitech Flow lives up to expectations.
Received the MX Master 3 Mouse for Mac about an hour ago and got it paired up two two systems via Bluetooth. Enabled Logitech Flow through the Logitech Options app and so far I'm quite pleasantly surprised -- it works just as expected! Too early to tell if there's any lag. Sleep and Wake both work just fine.

@CaseySJ I am a bit befuddled (I guess this is my natural state). I have followed the creation of the USB installer at the beginning of this post. It appears that this has been a somewhat successful endeavor. The EFI partition is there, the EFI folder is also in attendance along with all of the folders and items that you have posted. The first question is, should I be able to use OpenCore Configurator to open the EFI partition in the MacOS installer drive? I am able to access the EFI partition using Clover Configurator (seen screen shot). And finally when BIOS opens the UEFI Catalina installer pen drive is not available. Logic would tell me that there is clearly something missing but I cannot not figure this out. I mounted the EFI with CC and then was able to open the config.plist with OCC. I finally found the option to open the EFI ("open" config.plist) using OCC. One caveat; I am attempting to use your EFI folder as a test on the present system listed to the left. The Z490 Vision D will be here this Thursday and the CPU will be here on 9/21. Impatience has pushed me to try to make this work on the present system. Thank you for looking and helping me understand.
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.55.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.55.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.39.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.39.41 PM.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Because you have a 2018 MacBook Pro, it is actually possible to run the Catalina installer on that system, but install Catalina on an external SSD.

For example:
  • We can buy a cheap 128GB SATA SSD and install it in an equally cheap USB 3.0 external enclosure.
    • The beauty of this approach is that the 128GB SATA SSD and USB 3.0 external enclosure can then be used for subsequent bootable backups.
  • Then we connect the external USB 3.0 enclosure to the MacBook Pro.
  • We use Disk Utilityto format the external SSD:
    • Name: Catalina (or anything suitable)
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Now we run the Catalina Installer on the MacBook Pro.
    • Do not use the USB install disk.
    • Instead, copy the full Install macOS Catalina app that was created by GibMacOS to the Applications folder on the MacBook Pro and double-click to run it.
  • When it asks for the destination drive, we select the external SSD.
  • Let the installation finish. When the Welcome screen appears, go through each page of the welcome screen to setup the new Catalina O/S and create a user account.
    • Do not sign in to iCloud!! Click "Skip" at this step.
  • When Catalina setup is finished, we keep the external SSD connected to the MacBook Pro and then:
    • Mount EFI partition of the external SSD
    • Copy the OpenCore EFI folder to the EFI partition of the external SSD
    • Now we can eject the external SSD
  • Then we connect the external SSD to the Hackintosh and start up the machine.
  • We press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen and select the external SSD.
  • OpenCore Picker will appear and macOS will already be installed.
  • Boot macOS and log in.
Now we can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the external USB SSD onto the internal NVMe SSD:
  • Ensure that the internal NVMe SSD has been formatted:
  • Then clone the external SSD to the internal NVMe SSD.
  • When cloning is done, mount the EFI partition of (a) external SSD and (b) NVMe SSD.
  • Copy the EFI folder from external SSD to EFI partition of internal NVMe SSD.
  • Reboot and remove the external SSD.
  • When OpenCore Picker appears, boot from the internal NVMe SSD.

Thanks for all your help @CaseySJ

I have a ssd drive and enclosure on the way and I will try to install Catalina the way mentioned above.
I created the open core EFI folder with a 2015 MacBook Pro. Hopefully this will do the trick. I'll report back.

Hi

well, strange issue : wake/sleep is working (bt sleep is disabled)

autosleep was working at the beginning. Since last updates, autosleep is not working anymore.

can't find the reason with pmset - g

Sometimes i have sharingd preventing sleep even if it's disable in pref pane

Code:
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
standby              1
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp                 0
autorestart          0
hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
proximitywake        1
powernap             0
gpuswitch            2
networkoversleep     0
disksleep            10
standbydelayhigh     86400
sleep                5 (sleep prevented by sharingd, UserEventAgent)
hibernatemode        3
ttyskeepawake        1
displaysleep         5
highstandbythreshold 50
standbydelaylow      86400

here's the detail :

Code:
pid 493(sharingd): [0x0000551e000195d2] 00:04:56 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Handoff"

Does someone has also this issu with autosleep ?

Because you have a 2018 MacBook Pro, it is actually possible to run the Catalina installer on that system, but install Catalina on an external SSD.

For example:
  • We can buy a cheap 128GB SATA SSD and install it in an equally cheap USB 3.0 external enclosure.
    • The beauty of this approach is that the 128GB SATA SSD and USB 3.0 external enclosure can then be used for subsequent bootable backups.
  • Then we connect the external USB 3.0 enclosure to the MacBook Pro.
  • We use Disk Utilityto format the external SSD:
  • Now we run the Catalina Installer on the MacBook Pro.
    • Do not use the USB install disk.
    • Instead, copy the full Install macOS Catalina app that was created by GibMacOS to the Applications folder on the MacBook Pro and double-click to run it.
  • When it asks for the destination drive, we select the external SSD.
  • Let the installation finish. When the Welcome screen appears, go through each page of the welcome screen to setup the new Catalina O/S and create a user account.
    • Do not sign in to iCloud!! Click "Skip" at this step.
  • When Catalina setup is finished, we keep the external SSD connected to the MacBook Pro and then:
    • Mount EFI partition of the external SSD
    • Copy the OpenCore EFI folder to the EFI partition of the external SSD
    • Now we can eject the external SSD
  • Then we connect the external SSD to the Hackintosh and start up the machine.
  • We press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen and select the external SSD.
  • OpenCore Picker will appear and macOS will already be installed.
  • Boot macOS and log in.
Now we can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the external USB SSD onto the internal NVMe SSD:
  • Ensure that the internal NVMe SSD has been formatted:
  • Then clone the external SSD to the internal NVMe SSD.
  • When cloning is done, mount the EFI partition of (a) external SSD and (b) NVMe SSD.
  • Copy the EFI folder from external SSD to EFI partition of internal NVMe SSD.
  • Reboot and remove the external SSD.
  • When OpenCore Picker appears, boot from the internal NVMe SSD.
Will these steps work using only my Hackintosh and an external USB3 enclosure?

That is the right EFI. Some questions:
  • Are you installing Catalina 10.15.6?
  • Is BIOS set up correctly? Are you using BIOS F5?
  • Are you using SMBIOS iMac19,1 or iMac20,1?
  • Also change Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled as shown. This can be done on your MacBook Pro by connecting the external USB SSD enclosure, mounting the EFI partition, and editing the config.plist. Then connect the SSD back to the Hackintosh and try booting macOS once again
Yea installing catalina 10.15.6. I followed the instructions per the build on the bios and its currently running version F5. The SMBIOS is for iMac19,1 and I also changed the setting in config.plist, problem still persists. Sometimes I am actually able to get into macOS and it works long enough to get disk utility or carbon copy cloner running but it usually freezes soon after

One option is to use SwitchResX. Here's what it looks like on my 2020 13" MacBook Pro.
  • First I select my monitor on the left side (MX27UC).
  • Then I select Current Resolutions and I can see which modes are available and which one is currently active.
I know about SwitchResX and I had bad experiences with it. Therefore, I would like to go a more natural way without third-party applications, if you can help me with this it would be grateful.

Because: I use a special script /patch: 'patch-edid.rb' for to force RGB mode color profile which is implemented for the Dell P4317Q.
No secret that the full spectrum of colours by the Dell P4317Q monitor is correctly when it receives the input signal from the OS as an RGB signal. The default colour display profile for this monitor on Mac OS is configured to transmit a YPbPr signal to the Dell P4317Q, thus rendering the black #000000 colour to be visibly displayed as dark grey. In the YPbPr mode all of the colours are displayed completely incorrectly and in unbalanced proportions.
This method working great on Catalina, but unfortunately this does not work for Big Sur yet, I tried different way to make this script work on Big Sur, but in vain:(

Last edited:
Yea installing catalina 10.15.6. I followed the instructions per the build on the bios and its currently running version F5. The SMBIOS is for iMac19,1 and I also changed the setting in config.plist, problem still persists. Sometimes I am actually able to get into macOS and it works long enough to get disk utility or carbon copy cloner running but it usually freezes soon after
This might indicate a hardware issue:
  • How many DIMMs are installed?
  • If using 4 DIMMs, try removing two (from either A1/B1 or A2/B2)
  • Also try disabling XMP Profile 1 in BIOS. We can set memory speed manually to 2933 MHz or 266MHz.

Back