Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

suddenly my Thunderbolt hot-plug stop working, CaseySJ I use your EFI from page 1, but I can't able to discover where the problem is:( I recently started use my Apollo Twin which every time connected as I wish before or after MacOS start, now is also work, but unfortunately without hot-plug.

its normal that i have there Pic 3: Using Bus Power: False

View attachment 488126View attachment 488127View attachment 488128
If hot plug used to work with UAD, but has suddenly stopped working, has anything changed? Such as:
  • Upgrade OpenCore from 0.6.0 to 0.6.1?
  • Install other TB3 devices?
  • Updated drivers or firmware on UAD?
Have you tried Resetting the UAD?

Last edited:
Thank you so much @CaseySJ!
My build is working fine due to your instructions!

Two questions:
1.) I have a 5700 XT Power color red devil (OC Bios) & use the iMac 20,2 config & amd gpu config you provided.
In Geekbench5 the gpu gets in the openCL test 50.000 points. (42.000 in metal test)

Isn’t that too low?
On the geekbench5 page the “baseline” 5700xt seems to be around 70.000 points.
Hello @hansdiether,

We use RadeonBoost to improve benchmarking performance on our AMD GPUs. Whether this translates into real-world improvements is dubious, but it does make benchmarks shine! My PowerColor Red Dragon scored 63,185. However, when installing or upgrading macOS, it may be necessary to disable RadeonBoost.
2.) iStatMenu only can read ssd temperature. Do you know how I can read all temperatures?
Please try HWMonitorSMC2 2.6.1 by CloverHackyColor from this GitHub site. This works in Mojave and Catalina, but not Big Sur. Also install Intel Power Gadget to get even more information.
3.) Just wanted to let you know I’ve enabled intel ax201 wlan & Bluetooth. Wlan gets 20.000 of my 100.000 internet connection and Bluetooth is nearly useless (doesn’t see my sony 1000MX3, Logitech G915 Keyboard can’t connect (it sees it but aborted the pairing mode))

Do you know a native working PCIe Card with at least Bluetooth 4.2 and where to buy it? (Because I’ve heard that Bluetooth <4.2 is not recommended due to security reasons (like fenvi t919) & lag input for Sony headphones)
Unfortunately the choices are very limited at this time. Although macOS has supported Bluetooth 5 for a little while, I haven't seen third-party Mac-compatible devices with BT 5. I could be wrong, however, so it's worth searching. At this time the "known quantity" is the Fenvi FV-T919 (or the YOUBO equivalent) and Fenvi FV-HB1200 (lower cost version).

One quick sanity check would be to temporarily move one of those NVMe SSDs to an internal M.2 slot and check Read/Write speeds. That will be the baseline.

Yeah, they produce those speeds in the internal M.2 slots. I wonder if those slots have any speed limitations on Gigabyte's side?

So I think (fingers crossed) all I've gotta do now is figure out the sleep issue, and then I should be pretty much solid on this build!

Disabling memory XMP in the BIOS did the trick. Seems to sleep pretty reliably now.

Kinda sucks because that's a memory speed drop from 3000mhz to 2133mhz, but this is only temporary memory until my ECC memory at native 3200mhz arrives. Hopefully it'll perform and sleep happy at full speed.

Disabling memory XMP in the BIOS did the trick. Seems to sleep pretty reliably now.

Kinda sucks because that's a memory speed drop from 3000mhz to 2133mhz, but this is only temporary memory until my ECC memory at native 3200mhz arrives. Hopefully it'll perform and sleep happy at full speed.
We can manually set the memory speed to 2933MHz without enabling XMP Profile. There's a pop-up menu with available memory speeds. The highest we should go is 2933MHz on DDR4.

Hello, just curious as to the kind of memory you have? On my old Z170, I had Crucial Ballistix, and I couldn't enable XMP in the BIOS at all. macOS would lock up soon after boot if I set XMP on. Even in Windows, the system would sometimes lock up. Luckily for me, the default speed was 2666 MHz.

However, this year I upgraded to the Vision D, and purchased Corsair memory for my new rig. For kicks and giggles I tested the Corsair RAM in the old Z170, and I was able to enable XMP on that old motherboard, not a problem. For years I thought macOS had a problem with XMP, when at least for me (not speaking for others), the problem was the memory I installed.

Hello, just curious as to the kind of memory you have? On my old Z170, I had Crucial Ballistix, and I couldn't enable XMP in the BIOS at all. macOS would lock up soon after boot if I set XMP on. Even in Windows, the system would sometimes lock up. Luckily for me, the default speed was 2666 MHz.

I have a pair of 8GB Corsair CMR16GX4M2C3000C15 in there for now. They're kinda gaudy with LED lighting and crap. Native speed is 2133mhz but XMP is 3000mhz.

Sidenote, I have four Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME 3200mhz ECC sticks on order. I was originally going to go with the KSM29ED8/32ME 2933mhz which matches the processor's officially supported speed spec, but they were the exact same price, and I figured the 3200mhz sticks can downclock.

Hello @hansdiether,

Unfortunately the choices are very limited at this time. Although macOS has supported Bluetooth 5 for a little while, I haven't seen third-party Mac-compatible devices with BT 5. I could be wrong, however, so it's worth searching. At this time the "known quantity" is the Fenvi FV-T919 (or the YOUBO equivalent) and Fenvi FV-HB1200 (lower cost version).
Thank you!
For WiFi ist seems that ive found a native 4.2 Card:

Ive ordered it now with this adapter card:

Will let you know if it works :)

@CaseySJ Hey Casey,

I'm having trouble booting my system after creating the USB installer.
I tried both option 1 and option 2 when creating the bootloader but and I'm unable to boot into disk utility and continue the installation process. I'm also getting a notification when I open the config.plist in OpenCore. Any ideas?
Screenshots attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 6.49.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 6.49.36 PM.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 43
@CaseySJ Hey Casey,

I'm having trouble booting my system after creating the USB installer.
I tried both option 1 and option 2 when creating the bootloader but and I'm unable to boot into disk utility and continue the installation process. I'm also getting a notification when I open the config.plist in OpenCore. Any ideas?
Screenshots attached.
Hello @detoxunit,

I would like to help, but you haven’t provided a clear description of the problem. For example:
  • What are options 1 and 2?
  • You say you cannot boot into Disk Utility. Does this mean the MacOS installer does not start? Do you see a black screen with an Apple logo and a progress bar, but it just stays like that?
  • Are you using a TV or a computer monitor?
  • Which config file did you use: config-AMD-GPU.plist or config-Intel-iGPU.plist?

Back