Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello @dyplose,

This has been a recurring issue lately. Some comments/suggestions:
  • Are you using the Fenvi FV-T919 or the equivalent one from YOUBO?
  • Please download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the saved file. It will tell us whether USB ports are configured properly and whether Bluetooth is appearing on HS11.
  • In BIOS, try disabling XMP Profile 1. Then set memory speed to either 2666MHz or 2933MHz.
  • If that does not help, try removing 2 of the memory DIMMs temporarily:
    • Always shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF before adding or removing components.
    • Remove DIMMs from either A1/B1 or A2/B2.
It's the real Fenvi T919. Thanks for checking my ioreg report.

Attachments

• iMac Dyplose.ioreg
    19 MB · Views: 55
[...]

Regarding 4 monitors, that is the question we cannot answer until we try. I put the chances of success at less than 20%, however. Yes, less than 20% chance that 4 monitors will work -- and even if they do, you may run into various problems with sleep and wake. Some of those problems could (not 'will') be solved by disabling WhateverGreen.

It is for this reason that the build guide in Post #1 has always had this statement:

View attachment 487327

I can't believe I missed that part. Must be some sort of selective vision...

I guess the issues with connecting three or more displays are related to OpenCore?
On my Z390 Designare based on Clover, I am - for demonstration purposes - able to connect 4 displays (2 x old-ish 1980x1020 to HDMI, 1 x 3440x1440 through DP->TB and 1 2560x1440 to DP) to the Sapphire RX580.

Z930 Designare with Sapphire RX580:
d1-5displays.png

Note: The 2 monitors in the middle are mirrored through a HDMI matrix switch.

Sleep/wake is not an issue as that is disabled sitewide. I have had issues in the past that MacOS decided to go to sleep in the middle of a large exports, bounces, renderings and likewise, so I decided to disable sleep a long time ago.

Am i correct in assuming that the current version of OpenCore is the main issue with connecting three or more displays to the Z490 Vision D?

This is a great trick! here is a visual to go with the last post:
View attachment 488075

Also... The new mouse you are gonna get sounds awesome!!!
By the way we can even change NO NAME on the Linux disk as follows:
  • In the EFI --> BOOT folder on the Linux SSD, create a hidden file called .disk_label.contentDetails and simply enter a label for the disk. Here's my screenshot:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 5.54.43 AM.png
  • On the next reboot, OpenCore Picker should display that label, which in my case is Ubuntu 20.04.

I am considering the z490 vision d with an LG Ultrafine 5k - for those of you who have this board and screen....if i dont get the titan-ridge add-in card i will only get 4k since theres only 1 DP in , correct?
4K refers to two resolutions:
  • 3840 x 2160 or 8,294,400 pixels
  • 4096 x 2160 or 8,847,360 pixels (extra 552,960 pixels)
Most 4K monitors display 3840 x 2160, but when you use a single DP-In, the Mac will send 4096 x 2160 to a 5K monitor. The 5K monitor will then upscale that to 5K.

When you use two DP-Ins, the Mac will send two DisplayPort streams that paint the full left and right halves of the full 5K resolution.

Please see this section in the Designare 390 build guide:

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 6.07.33 AM.png

If i go down this route, are there any usability issues folks have encountered? e.g screen ports dont work, cant control brightness, mic/webcam/speakers dont work, needing to hot-plug to get the screen to work on the computer?
If you search the Designare Z390 thread for "UltraFine", you'll find a fair bit of information from users. If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

I just recently purchased a M720 mouse from Costco that does the same, up to 3 different computers. Works pretty well for the most part. You can even copy/paste between computers (doesn't seem to work on big files, but works on text files and simple things). There are a few keyboards that do the same and will automatically switch with the mouse. Pretty cool tech!

But I do have lag issues with the mouse on both Mac and Windows. Seems to lose connection for a split second every so often. Logitech forum posts have other people mentioning it. So may be worth checking for firmware updates to the Logitech dongle/mouse and moving the dongle to different USB ports incase of interference if you notice a problem. I haven't solved it on mine yet.
Good to know. I've been using Logitech Unifying mice and keyboards for years with no trouble, so eager to see if Logitech Flow lives up to expectations.

@CaseySJ Thanks again for your continuous support!
I'm getting quite slow speeds on NVMe devices. Just bought a Gen 3x4 drive which is supposed to perform at ~2.5GB/s both read & write (real users tested). But I get 1,700 Mb/s write max. I know it's still quite fast haha, but I work with lots of data (video/audio).

Do you think it has something to do with the hackintosh and can be improved? Thank you!
One quick sanity check would be to temporarily move one of those NVMe SSDs to an internal M.2 slot and check Read/Write speeds. That will be the baseline.

I tested following guide.

- I checked agdpmod=pikera.
- Power off and PSU switch off too.
- Remove RX580 and install RX 5700 XT with pcie power cables, 8+8 from single line(y type).
- Power up and change initial display output from pcie 1 to pcie 2 slot.
- Reboot! System show me opencore boot screen.
- I selected Catalina installed ssd.
- Apple logo and progress bar appeared.
- After progressbar full 7~80%, they are disappear.
- Only blackscreen remain. I'm waiting miracle. :(
Was Catalina installed from scratch or was it upgraded from Mojave on an older Hackintosh?

If you have a spare SSD (especially good to mount cheap SATA SSDs in external USB 3 enclosures), try doing a fresh installation of Catalina by following the build guide -- with the RX 5700 XT in the system.

suddenly my Thunderbolt hot-plug stop working, CaseySJ I use your EFI from page 1, but I can't able to discover where the problem is:( I recently started use my Apollo Twin which every time connected as I wish before or after MacOS start, now is also work, but unfortunately without hot-plug.

its normal that i have there Pic 3: Using Bus Power: False

Shot 1.pngShot 2.pngShot 3.png

Last edited:
It's the real Fenvi T919. Thanks for checking my ioreg report.
Below are some of the differences between your system (left) and mine (right):
  • Your Bluetooth dongle in blue is working correctly.
    • We see BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport, which is good.
  • Your Fenvi Bluetooth in red is enabled and present.
    • However, it appears to be in DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade) as we can see from the bottom red box.
    • We don't see BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.
Questions:
  • If you remove the Bluetooth Dongle and reboot, do you see BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport as it appears in the screenshot on the right?
  • And does the DFU entry still appear?
  • Do you have Windows installed? If so, were the Fenvi drivers installed in Windows? (I usually discourage those drivers from being installed.)
  • One suggestion at this point would be to actually install the Windows drivers in the hopes that those drivers will take the device out of DFU mode.

Caveat:
  • Because I have not encountered this issue personally, I am mostly speculating based on IOReg.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 6.29.33 AM.png

Thank you so much @CaseySJ!
My build is working fine due to your instructions!

Two questions:
1.) I have a 5700 XT Power color red devil (OC Bios) & use the iMac 20,2 config & amd gpu config you provided.
In Geekbench5 the gpu gets in the openCL test 50.000 points. (42.000 in metal test)

Isn’t that too low?
On the geekbench5 page the “baseline” 5700xt seems to be around 70.000 points.

Things to note:
- Under load the GPU does have coil whine
- My psu is 450 watt be quiet straight power 11, I’ve ordered a 550 watt straight power 11 as well to see if the gpu throttles due to power limitations
- the 8+4 pin on the top left of the mainbord is only connected with a 8 pin from the psu. It seems that my psu doesn’t have another 4 pin cable.
- Geekbench sees my 5700xt as “AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Compute Engine”

2.) iStatMenu only can read ssd temperature. Do you know how I can read all temperatures?

3.) Just wanted to let you know I’ve enabled intel ax201 wlan & Bluetooth. Wlan gets 20.000 of my 100.000 internet connection and Bluetooth is nearly useless (doesn’t see my sony 1000MX3, Logitech G915 Keyboard can’t connect (it sees it but aborted the pairing mode))

Do you know a native working PCIe Card with at least Bluetooth 4.2 and where to buy it? (Because I’ve heard that Bluetooth <4.2 is not recommended due to security reasons (like fenvi t919) & lag input for Sony headphones)

Back