Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Please try this:
  • Go to BIOS Setup --> Boot page
  • Check the disk boot order
  • Is the Catalina NVMe at the top of the list?
That fixed it, thanks. Catalina NVMe Disk now first. OpenCore also appears as a Boot option so I disabled that but it reappears again as first Boot Device.

I also notice that I get random hangs at the Gigabyte Splash Screen when I mess with these settings!!

What are the recommended BIOS settings under Fast Boot or should this be disabled?

That fixed it, thanks. Catalina NVMe Disk now first. OpenCore also appears as a Boot option so I disabled that but it reappears again as first Boot Device.
due to using Bootstrap.efi in your config.plist

I also notice that I get random hangs at the Gigabyte Splash Screen when I mess with these settings!!

What are the recommended BIOS settings under Fast Boot or should this be disabled?
due to using Bootstrap.efi in your config.plist
@jimbojingle,

As @Feartech mentioned, we'll see a BIOS entry for "OpenCore" because we've enabled "Boot Strap". This is desirable and prevents other operating systems from changing the boot order. It's not always foolproof, however, but it provides a good safeguard. In BIOS we can select either the macOS NVMe SSD or "OpenCore" to be the first boot option.

@jimbojingle,

As @Feartech mentioned, we'll see a BIOS entry for "OpenCore" because we've enabled "Boot Strap". This is desirable and prevents other operating systems from changing the boot order. It's not always foolproof, however, but it provides a good safeguard. In BIOS we can select either the macOS NVMe SSD or "OpenCore" to be the first boot option.

Thanks, that clarifies another mystery.

Is it possible that using bootstrap.efi could be causing any hangs at the Gigabyte Splash Screen?

I think using RGB DDR4 is meaningless as they will be blocked (not visible) by the D15S. Right?

I am using thinking which CPU to go, 10700K or 10900K and I also want to use air cooler.

BTW, would you please take a photo of i225V chip on the latest motherboard? I want to know the version no.
There is no RGB in this RAM so hard to tell how it would look.
I try to check the i225 tomorrow if i can.

Thanks CaseySJ for your easy to follow and thorough guide!
Just finished my build and everything seems to work properly. Install was a breeze following this guide.
I don't use sidecar or iMessages so can't comment on those.
This is my third hackintosh build and first time using opencore.

My main use for this build is audio production (mainly mixing & mastering).
This time I wanted build to be as quiet as possible so I took the air cooling route and this thing is almost noiseless!
When idling on desktop or doing some light work this thing doesn't make any noise at all.
I'm dual booting Windows and Catalina but only use Windows for occasional gaming.

My build:
-Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C - Black
-Corsair 750W RM750x
-Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
-Intel Core i9-10900K
-Noctua NH-D15S
-Sapphire Radeon RX 580 PULSE 8GB
-Corsair 32GB (2 x 16GB) Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
-Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SSD sataIII (Audio drive)
-Kingston 500GB A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD (Catalina)
-Kingston 250GB A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD (Catalina backup)
-Kingston 1TB A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD (Windows)
-Fenvi FV-T919
-Wired Apple A1243 keyboard and wired Logitech mouse

Geekbench 5:
View attachment 487783
Hello @Slemovitz,

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum! Great component choices and of course I never imagined how wonderful is the sound of silence! ;)

My W480 Vision-D and Xeon W-1290P arrived today, so I guess it's time to see just how similar it is to the Z490 Vision-D and if CaseySJ's recipe works the same for this board. Any bets on if I strike it lucky and everything just works?

As expected, everything appears exactly identical to the Z490 aside from some cosmetic bits and the larger SSD heat spreader. I've updated the BIOS to version F3, which appears equivalent if not identical to the Z490's F5 BIOS and matches menu for menu with CaseySJ's screenshots. If there's anything anyone wants me to check or take pictures of, let me know.

I'll be putting 64GB of ECC DDR4-2933 in it, but that's on backorder so for now I have a pair of non-ECC 8GB DDR4-3000 chips just to get started. I'm going to spend most of tomorrow installing Windows on the primary SSD first just to get that settled in, but I'll start diving into installing macOS onto the secondary SSD on Monday.

Wonder if I should do a separate thread...
Good luck with the build. If you're using this build guide as a general starting point, feel free to post your experiences in this thread. But we will need to create a separate thread if there are lingering issues to work out on that board.

Note 1: I have managed to fix it via openshell and changing SecureBootModel from "Default" to "Disabled". Does your system start with SecureBootModel set to default as per ypou 0.6.1 config.plist?
Yes my system boots fine with SecureBootModel set to Default. However, some Mojave users on Z390 Designare reported problems with this setting so the OC 0.6.1 EFI for that board has it on "Disabled". Perhaps I should do the same for Z490 Vision D...
Note 2: Something that used to happen to me on 0.5.9 was that if I set the platform-id flag to 07009B3E then once booted up after after a minute or so, the desktop background goes black and the dock disappears then reappears, then disappears, etc. Also with the attribute set to 07009B3E the boot process is very slow. Once I have the apple logo and the progressing bar, the progressing bar stops at 75% stays there for a while (maybe 20s) and then the desktop is displayed. With the attribute sets to 0300983E, once the progressing bar hits 75%, the desktop is loaded immediately.
Just another reason not to use iGPU to drive a monitor. An AMD GPU is strongly recommend for all users. We still use iGPU for compute tasks, where it performs well.

Back