Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

do you have sata drives connected when trying to use multiple NVME?
I think when you use a NVME PCI slot you loose a sata.
I noticed if I have a platter drive via stata in port 0 on the mobo - and a NVME in slot one - no dice. But put the SATA in port 5 - no problems.

According to the chart attached you will lose SATA ports if using NVMe however Im not using SATA 0, 4, or 5.

Even when SATA has been disconnected all together Im still having problems with the machine not even getting past POST.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 7.06.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 7.06.54 PM.png
    106 KB · Views: 55
Hello! I followed @CaseySJ and things worked flawlessly. Had it all working in less than an hour. Thanks for all this hard work. Only thing I noticed is if you are trying to install to a SATA drive you must set the SATA mode in the BIOS to AHCI. Without it your SATA drives will not show up.

One problem Im having is I cant have multiple NVME drives installed.
I can install in one of the ports and things seem ok, but the second I try and put two nvme drives the machine wont POST. I thought maybe I needed to disable the open SATA ports that conflict with the NVME but no luck there either. I tried disabling SATA 0, 4, & 5 within the BIOS but no luck. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. The plan is to tripple boot w/ Windows 10 in the M2A_CPU slot, OSX in the M2m_SB slot, and Linux in the M2P_SB slot. I have the OSs all installed and working on their owns just cant get them working nice together.

Thanks in Advance!

Im running OC 0.6.1
Catalina 10.15.6
Gigabyte Vision D
Intel i9 10850K
64GB of Ballistix Ram
x3 500GB WD_BLACK SN750 NVME
There is at least one report in this thread about problems with WD SN750 NVMe. The best choice based on real world compatibility and thermals on this system is Sabrent Rocket NVMe. Temperatures of this drive are insanely good while others can be 10 to 25 degrees C warmer.

Before considering a return or exchange, please check that SATA drives are only using three non-restricted ports. The table in Post 1, Step 5 has this information.

Hello! I followed @CaseySJ and things worked flawlessly. Had it all working in less than an hour. Thanks for all this hard work. Only thing I noticed is if you are trying to install to a SATA drive you must set the SATA mode in the BIOS to AHCI. Without it your SATA drives will not show up.

One problem Im having is I cant have multiple NVME drives installed.
I can install in one of the ports and things seem ok, but the second I try and put two nvme drives the machine wont POST. I thought maybe I needed to disable the open SATA ports that conflict with the NVME but no luck there either. I tried disabling SATA 0, 4, & 5 within the BIOS but no luck. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. The plan is to tripple boot w/ Windows 10 in the M2A_CPU slot, OSX in the M2m_SB slot, and Linux in the M2P_SB slot. I have the OSs all installed and working on their owns just cant get them working nice together.

Thanks in Advance!

Im running OC 0.6.1
Catalina 10.15.6
Gigabyte Vision D
Intel i9 10850K
64GB of Ballistix Ram
x3 500GB WD_BLACK SN750 NVME

Check if you can update the firmware on your drives. Maybe that will help.

I also have had issues with the Vision D and M2 drives. I had 2x ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB drives. They would only work in the 1st and 2nd M2 slots. As soon as one was in the 3rd slot my board had alot of issues booting.

I ended up buying 1 more SX8200 Pro, and a 1 Silicon Power 1tb. Both of those drives worked fine no matter what the slot!

When I checked the ADATA drive info, it listed the original ADATA drives as being a different firmware version than the newest ADATA drive I just bought. I brought this to Gigabyte's attention and they said they would tell the Bios people about it.

Unfortunately, I saw no way to update the SX8200's firmware. Maybe the WDs will let you. Worth a shot.

what shall we do about this?
That looks very high end for a B550 chipset motherboard. It is in the Z390/490 price range though. It will certainly be able to use the new Ryzen CPUs landing this October so :thumbup: .

That looks very high end for a B550 chipset motherboard. It is in the Z390/490 price range though. It will certainly be able to use the new Ryzen CPUs landing this October so :thumbup: .
And it would be nice to see an AMD Ryzen build thread on tonymac.

Edit: @Shaneee has one here.

Last edited:
There is at least one report in this thread about problems with WD SN750 NVMe. The best choice based on real world compatibility and thermals on this system is Sabrent Rocket NVMe. Temperatures of this drive are insanely good while others can be 10 to 25 degrees C warmer.

Before considering a return or exchange, please check that SATA drives are only using three non-restricted ports. The table in Post 1, Step 5 has this information.
Yes that was me. If I have a samsung Evo plus and a WD SN750 installed on the MB, it won't.
2 samsung Evo plus installed on the MB and the WD SN750 on an dapter card slotted in pcie x4 and it is working fine.

For info, I have just ordered an Sk Hynix gold P31 1TB NVME. Apparently first NVMe with 128 layers and according to the preview, the fastest PCIe x3 NVMe at the moment. Looking forward to see what it can do.

If the system is still unable to sleep properly, try the following:
  • Run Activity Monitor and sort the list by % CPU. Is there a process that is consuming 100% or more of CPU time? Feel free to post a screenshot.
  • Also try disabling XMP Profile 1 in BIOS and set memory speed to 2933 MHz.
  • By the way, how many memory modules are you using? 2 or 4?
  • What is the make/model of your memory?
  • No process is at 100%
  • XMP is disabled already. Running at stock 2133 Mhz
  • 2 RAM Modules running in correct slots as per motherboard manual
  • Make: G.Skill Ripjaws V 2400 Mhz

I choose to go with Intel because Ryzen has problems with Adobe programs on Hackintoshes and needs alot of workarounds that I didn't feel like dealing with.

ATM it is a quick 2 or 3 second script run to get everything working. Also, I understand that the current beta versions of all Adobe apps except Photoshop run without needing patching etc. By the time they are released the chances are Photoshop will have been updated to.

This is probably Adobe working closely with Apple and stripping all the Intel specific stuff out so that all the apps run on ARM as well as Intel. They may as well do it all now rather than running parallel test benches for Intel and ARM. All the better for AMD hacks.

Back