Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

yeah, but it's somehow strange that these particular rams (F4-3600C18D-64GTRG and F4-3600C18D-64GTZR) are not in the list on the gigabyte page, there is only support for 8GB ram, but not 32GB.:confused:

can anyone confirm that this particular frames is 100% compatible and works on Z490 vision-D?

Yes. If you go to the G.Skill website and look up the ram it will have a QVL listing. They are compatible with the Vision D.

I received the pieces for my build this week (huge back order on intel cpu's apparently). I am still debating wifi options. I would love to keep this machine as clean as possible. My current machine, I have always used a PCI card with a BCM94360CD. I am wondering if anyone has replaced the m.2 wifi card on the Vision D board back panel with a BCM94360NG?

Or, is it possible to put one of these cards into the NVME slot on the board? and just get an antenna bracket for the back of the machine? Just trying to get options to keep the PCIe slots open. Would like to get a 10GbE card eventually for the PCIe slot.

Just to expand on the idea or thought. Using something like the following:

with the BCM94360NG card. That way I can save the Vision D prebuilt card? Not sure if anyone here has tried that method on the Vision D Z490 Boards with any luck?

Correct. I restarted a couple times and got it to reoccur. See screenshot. You can also see DND is enabled. Strange how these things are related.
View attachment 487161
Please try disabling WhateverGreen from the Kernel section of OpenCore Configurator. This may or may not have an effect, but it's something to try in the overall troubleshooting process. It would be best to make this change on a USB flash disk (in the EFI partition of the USB flash disk) in case the system boots to black screen without WEG.

Please see this for a (somewhat?) related issue:

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

Does this mean the screen resolution on your 4K monitor remains at 2560x1440 (scaled) but only the desktop image is sized down? When this happens do you see black or white borders around the scaled-down background image? A screenshot might help to convey the problem (CMD-Shift-5).

Will add this to Troubleshooting / FAQs as examples of drive enclosures that work and don't work.

This is a common issue. Please try resetting NVRAM from the OpenCore Picker by pressing spacebar and choose the option at the far right.

I have exactly the same issue from time to time when I restart. The desktop image/background image is scaled down to a 1/4 of the resolution (I run 4k) but the desktop itself is 4k. I usually run change the resolution then back to 4k and the background image is restored but it is frustrating.
Also I have noticed that when this happens, the system does not load anymore my desktop images which are loaded from a NAS and rotate every 5 minutes.
I have to manually open the background image preferences then reselect the NAS but it is very tedious because quite often the background image preferences will freeze.

I have exactly the same issue from time to time when I restart. The desktop image/background image is scaled down to a 1/4 of the resolution (I run 4k) but the desktop itself is 4k. I usually run change the resolution then back to 4k and the background image is restored but it is frustrating.
Also I have noticed that when this happens, the system does not load anymore my desktop images which are loaded from a NAS and rotate every 5 minutes.
I have to manually open the background image preferences then reselect the NAS but it is very tedious because quite often the background image preferences will freeze.
Do you also have an LG 4K monitor?

I received the pieces for my build this week (huge back order on intel cpu's apparently). I am still debating wifi options. I would love to keep this machine as clean as possible. My current machine, I have always used a PCI card with a BCM94360CD. I am wondering if anyone has replaced the m.2 wifi card on the Vision D board back panel with a BCM94360NG?

Or, is it possible to put one of these cards into the NVME slot on the board? and just get an antenna bracket for the back of the machine? Just trying to get options to keep the PCIe slots open. Would like to get a 10GbE card eventually for the PCIe slot.
Just to expand on the idea or thought. Using something like the following:

with the BCM94360NG card. That way I can save the Vision D prebuilt card? Not sure if anyone here has tried that method on the Vision D Z490 Boards with any luck?
The on-board WiFi/BT module on Z490 Vision D (and Z390 Designare) is an Intel CNVi module instead of a generic M.2 module. The slot may resemble M.2, but it only accepts CNVi RF modules that interface with the digital side of the WiFi/BT circuit that is on the PCH (i.e. on the Z490 chipset). This is a locked slot that is not open to other devices.

Unfortunately, I do not think that a replacement Vision D will make a difference. Instead, please do this:
  • Connect the UAD and power it on before booting the system.
  • I believe there is a "RESET" function on the UAD. If so, reset the UAD.
  • Now boot into macOS.
  • Download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the saved file.
  • Also post screenshot of System Information --> PCI.
Sooo, just received new board Vision D, thunderbolts is still not work and I guess that problem is with apple adapter TH3 (USB-C) to TH2, but it is very strange, because this adapter works great on board z170-UD5-ZH

here is the files:
Pic 01.png

Attachments

• iMac.ioreg
    19.5 MB · Views: 97
Sooo, just received new board Vision D, thunderbolts is still not work and I guess that problem is with apple adapter TH3 (USB-C) to TH2, but it is very strange, because this adapter works great on board z170-UD5-ZH

here is the files:
View attachment 487213
I have the Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter and the Apple TB2 Gigabit Ethernet adapter. Some observations on Z490 Vision D:
  • On Big Sur Public Beta, the Apple Gigabit Ethernet adapter does not work. It seems Apple has removed the driver for Broadcom BCM5701 Ethernet.
  • On Catalina 10.15.6, the same combination works perfectly (including hot plug).
  • However, the TB3-to-TB2 adapter itself is okay in both operating systems.
In your case, IOReg shows that no Thunderbolt devices are connected.
  • Do you have other TB2 or TB3 devices?
    • Try connecting other TB2 devices into the Apple adapter.
    • Try connecting TB3 devices directly.

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 6.11.51 AM.png

The on-board WiFi/BT module on Z490 Vision D (and Z390 Designare) is an Intel CNVi module instead of a generic M.2 module. The slot may resemble M.2, but it only accepts CNVi RF modules that interface with the digital side of the WiFi/BT circuit that is on the PCH (i.e. on the Z490 chipset). This is a locked slot that is not open to other devices.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, after researching last night more in depth on the forums, I discovered the CNVi slot is proprietary. Apparently this is more common on Gigabyte boards. My second thought of using that Key M adapter to put it in the M.2 slot "should" work. I may order an adapter board and antenna bracket to experiment. The 3rd M.2 slot is going to be sitting there any ways. I would think I could just use the existing antenna on the board to hook up to a bcm94360ng card. Just to make things cleaner. I am not really concerned about distance of signal anyways.

Back