Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

So i would have to wipe both ssd and it should work?? Right now i cant get anything but a black screen
Please clarify what you're trying to do:
  • Are you trying to move from Z390 and i9-9900K to Z490 i9-10900K and sell or otherwise decommission the Z390 Designare motherboard?
  • Are you trying to install macOS on both the Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision D so you can have two Hackintoshes?

Last edited:
Now it works!

I was indeed missing a step -- it is necessary to make the change to Preboot volume instead of the main system volume.

@joevt : Thanks for the detailed reply. (.disk_label.contentInfo was a typo -- fixed.)

@jimbojingle : Please try the following:

** Mini-Guide: Change Disk Label Shown in OpenCore Picker **
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.
  1. Start by listing all drives in the system. Type the following in Terminal: diskutil list
  2. Find the disk IDENTIFIER corresponding to the Preboot volume for Catalina. Note: Each time the system restarts, disk identifiers (rightmost column in screenshot) can change. Here's an example from my system:View attachment 487168
  3. Mount the Preboot volume (replace disk2s2 with your disk IDENTIFIER): sudo diskutil mount disk2s2
  4. Now "cd" to the following directory: cd /Volumes/Preboot/*/System/Library/CoreServices
  5. If you list all files here using ls -al you will find a file called .disk_label.contentDetails
  6. Edit that file in vi or TextEdit (if using TextEdit, first switch to Plain Text mode):View attachment 487169
  7. This file will contain only a single volume name. Simply change the name. As you can see here, I've used vi to change the name to Catalina 10.15.6:
    View attachment 487170
  8. Save the file and reboot.

Thanks, this is a great help. Looks like a solution at last.

I am unable to save the .disk_label.contentDetails file as it is read only and I don't seem to be able to change its file permission. I am trying to use vi as I cannot find where the file with TextEdit.

Please can you advise? Also can you this with Big Sur?

Thanks, this is a great help. Looks like a solution at last.

I am unable to save the .disk_label.contentDetails file as it is read only and I don't seem to be able to change its file permission. I am trying to use vi as I cannot find where the file with TextEdit.

Please can you advise? Also can you this with Big Sur?
I've modified the instructions above. We'll need to use sudo vi .disk_label.contentDetails. This procedure does not work with Big Sur due to a number of changes that have taken place.

I've modified the instructions above. We'll need to use sudo vi .disk_label.contentDetails. This procedure does not work with Big Sur due to a number of changes that have taken place.

Thanks again, that fixed this problem that's been really bugging me.

I'm still not sure how renaming the disk caused this in the first place but it did and now its fixed.

I guess it is normal for a Big Sur disk to be named 'preboot' in the picker.

Thanks again, that fixed this problem that's been really bugging me.

I'm still not sure how renaming the disk caused this in the first place but it did and now its fixed.
Glad to hear it.
I guess it is normal for a Big Sur disk to be named 'preboot' in the picker.
This makes sense now because:
  • In the Big Sur Preboot volume none of the following exists:
    • .disk_label
    • .disk_label.contentDetails
    • .contentDetails
  • Therefore OpenCore uses the default name of the volume, which is "Preboot".
  • Apple may change this in the future. The next Public Beta should be released early next week.

Moving to another problem, I am getting regular hangs at the Gigabyte Splash Screen which I recover from by doing a Reset and Reboot or a Power Down and Reboot. I have even had to do a Clear CMOS on a couple of occasions.

Any idea what may be causing this as it is somewhat frustrating not knowing if my Hackintosh is actually going to boot successfully?

Moving to another problem, I am getting regular hangs at the Gigabyte Splash Screen which I recover from by doing a Reset and Reboot or a Power Down and Reboot. I have even had to do a Clear CMOS on a couple of occasions.

Any idea what may be causing this as it is somewhat frustrating not knowing if my Hackintosh is actually going to boot successfully?
Please try the process of elimination:
  • Start by disconnecting all Thunderbolt devices (they can be hot plugged later)
  • If problem persists:
    • Boot with only 1 monitor connected. Check again.
    • Remove any PCIe cards other than GPU and WiFi/BT. Check again.
    • Disconnect external USB devices except keyboard and mouse. Check again.
If nothing seems to help, it will be necessary to contact Gigabyte Tech Support.

Please try the process of elimination:
  • Start by disconnecting all Thunderbolt devices (they can be hot plugged later)
  • If problem persists:
    • Boot with only 1 monitor connected. Check again.
    • Remove any PCIe cards other than GPU and WiFi/BT. Check again.
    • Disconnect external USB devices except keyboard and mouse. Check again.
If nothing seems to help, it will be necessary to contact Gigabyte Tech Support.

Ok, thanks, I will investigate.

I only have a single external Drive as my Time Machine Backup
Also, I have a Corsair Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core connected but all this was working ok when I first completed my build (and applied UPS detection fix).
Seems to have started happening since adding an SSD for testing Big Sur but that has been removed.

@CaseySJ thanks for the solution to changing the Disk Label in OC Picker, it worked for me.

Another thing I've run into is occasionally when I restart or turn on CPU and load into MacOS I will get the following screen immediately following selection.
1599443665889.png

Then I have to hold the power button to shutdown and turn back on. I then select MacOS again in the OC Picker and it will load with no issue. Any idea what could be causing the issue?

Edit: I recently cloned my MacOS to a new Sabrent NVMe after previously using a Samsung NVMe. I will report back if I get the error again.

Last edited:
It's not only Windows issue, on macOS you can load your CPU by 100% (video rendering etc.) and get very high tempetarures too.
For i9-10900K I highly recommend 280mm or 360mm liquid cooling system. For Rio the best solution is really big 360mm liquid cooling system. Corsair Hydro Series H60 is not enough for 8-10 cores CPUs.

Before I upgraded from i7-4770 to i7-10700K I have NZXT Kraken M22, it's 120mm liquid cooling system, and it was really good, I have temperatures not higher than 70°C and fan was very silent.
After upgrade to i7-10700K I got temperatures higher than 80°C (it was June in Moscow and about 28°C in my room) on heavy load and 100% fan speed - it fas very noisy, in office tasks (browser, a little bit of photo-editing and RAW processing) fan can jump from ~60-70% speed to 100% every 30-40 seconds.
So, I bought NZXT Kraken X73 and it was my best buy. Three 120mm fans on 360mm radiator is very, very good. I connected all 3 fans to my motherboard (Vision D/G has CPU_OPT connector and it can handle up to 3A current - it's enough for pump and 3 fans) and now I can use SmartFan in BIOS to configure fan speed/temperature curve.

Now I have ~35°C idle temperature, and 65-70°C on heavy load (for example Cinebench R20 test) when temperature in my room is 25°C.

VERY IMPORTANT! You need to set you CPU VCore voltage and Load Line Calibration manually in BIOS! In "auto" mode Gigabyte Z490 motherboards set voltage too high and CPU can be "overvoltaged" and very hot!

Read this: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...erboards-with-default-settings-for-your-build

My CPU works fine on VCore 1.2V and LLC "Low" (and crashed in Cinebench R20 if LLC lower than "low", for example, if LLC is "normal"), it overclocked to +100MHz for all boost frequencies.

Hi @Ayvan for the sake of clarity: Did you set your Vcore to 'fixed vcore' then set the voltage to 1.200v?

Thanks!

Back