Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

The correct name appears in Startup Disk, but the same name is showing in OC Picker.

I have exactly the same problem and have never been able to resolve it. The OpenCore picker shows a different name for both my Catalina NVMe and my Big Sur SSD even though the disks are named correctly after the OS boots up.

I have exactly the same problem and have never been able to resolve it. The OpenCore picker shows a different name for both my Catalina NVMe and my Big Sur SSD even though the disks are named correctly after the OS boots up.

Did you rename the drives after installing the OS? I'm thinking of doing a clean install and naming the drives how I want them named during the install. Maybe that will fix it. I'll let you know this weekend.

I'm gonna take a crack at building with the W480 Vision D.

I originally was going to go with a i9-10900K, but the store I had ordered the chip from (ShopBLT) kept prolonging the backorder. They did have the virtually identical Xeon W-1290P for just $50 more and ready for immediate shipping, so I'm going with that. I'm returning my Z490 Vision D which has been sitting chipless for too long.
This may be something challenging. Would be good to view @dolgarrenan's thread below as a homework assignment:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-x299x-catalina-support.288625/

Is anyone else going to be getting a 30 series card? I'm thinking of getting a 3080 and putting it in slot 2 and leaving my 5700xt in slot 1 for Mac usage, but I could use some clarification on a couple things.
  • How would I go about disabling the Nvidia card for Mac? And would I need to make any other changes?
  • What would be the best solution for switching between the two cards for when I'm using Mac/Windows. I have a dual monitor setup so I'm thinking of getting two of these adapters, DisplayPort 8K DP 1.4 Switch Bi-Direction 8K@30Hz 4K@120Hz Splitter Converter for Multiple Source and displays. Just so that I wouldn't have to swap the cables from the cards every time I'm switching OS. Not sure if there is a better solution?
  • Since I won't be using both cards in a single OS, the other one will be disabled. Do I need to plug in the additional PEG cable to the motherboard?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
On macOS we can use an SSDT to disable either Slot-1 or Slot-2. Please see the bottom of the Z390 Designare build thread:
  • SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-1-GPU.aml
  • SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-2-GPU.aml
Windows can activate and use both cards. To disable the AMD GPU in Windows, it should be possible to go to Hardware Manager and disable the device.

To be safe you should plug in the PEG cable.

I think you are getting close to building a Rube Goldberg contraption. I would urge you to wait for the following:
  • Wait for independent benchmarks and reviews.
  • If you intend to use the Nvidia GPU for games only (not for Machinima or live streaming or some of the auxiliary capabilities) then it's best to wait for independent reviews of gaming performance.
  • It may also be a good idea to see what AMD has in store for Big Navi (RDNA 2) in the form of RX 6000-series cards. I would hope that these cards get macOS support. If so, an AMD RX 6700 XT or 6800 XT or 6900 XT could be a more compelling single-GPU option.

On macOS we can use an SSDT to disable either Slot-1 or Slot-2. Please see the bottom of the Z390 Designare build thread:
  • SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-1-GPU.aml
  • SSDT-Designare-Z390-Disable-Slot-2-GPU.aml
Windows can activate and use both cards. To disable the AMD GPU in Windows, it should be possible to go to Hardware Manager and disable the device.

To be safe you should plug in the PEG cable.

I think you are getting close to building a Rube Goldberg contraption. I would urge you to wait for the following:
  • Wait for independent benchmarks and reviews.
  • If you intend to use the Nvidia GPU for games only (not for Machinima or live streaming or some of the auxiliary capabilities) then it's best to wait for independent reviews of gaming performance.
  • It may also be a good idea to see what AMD has in store for Big Navi (RDNA 2) in the form of RX 6000-series cards. I would hope that these cards get macOS support. If so, an AMD RX 6700 XT or 6800 XT or 6900 XT could be a more compelling single-GPU option.

You are right Casey, having a single-GPU option would be ideal. I'll hold off and see what AMD counters with.

You are right Casey, having a single-GPU option would be ideal. I'll hold off and see what AMD counters with.
For some hints on what AMD may offer from someone who has reliable contacts. However, this is still unofficial...

This may be something challenging. Would be good to view @dolgarrenan's thread below as a homework assignment:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-x299x-catalina-support.288625/

I figured, and I'm ready to be thrown a few curveballs. Though I'm hoping that most of the complications will be partly mitigated by the fact that the W480 chipset is so similar to the Z490, and the fact that the two Vision D motherboard designs themselves are so very similar.

This will be my first Hackintosh build in roughly six years ever since the days of Multibeast and Mavericks, so I have some catching up to do on the nuances of OpenCore and such. I'm hoping your excellent guide will get me 80% there.

Last edited:
Those are all the same, just the colour is different.

There is a list of compatible ram on the Gigabyte web site for the board.

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/Z490-VISION-D-rev-1x/support#support-doc

Options 1 and 3 are recommended for Z490 Vision D. TridentZ Neo is optimized for AMD Ryzen.

yeah, but it's somehow strange that these particular rams (F4-3600C18D-64GTRG and F4-3600C18D-64GTZR) are not in the list on the gigabyte page, there is only support for 8GB ram, but not 32GB.:confused:

can anyone confirm that this particular frames is 100% compatible and works on Z490 vision-D?

Last edited:
Hi
I've installed the Corsair Hydro Series H60 for cooling the CPU and installed also 2 more case fans. Using OSX, the temperature looks normal but when using Windows 10 and a game Ghost Recon Breakpoint the case gets warm and in some parts hot a bit. Is it ok? I live in Rio, and now the temperature inside my office is 30C. I remember that another hack using Asus Hero X, with Windows 10 and the same game the case temperature is not hot at all.
Any advice?
Thanks
It's not only Windows issue, on macOS you can load your CPU by 100% (video rendering etc.) and get very high tempetarures too.
For i9-10900K I highly recommend 280mm or 360mm liquid cooling system. For Rio the best solution is really big 360mm liquid cooling system. Corsair Hydro Series H60 is not enough for 8-10 cores CPUs.

Before I upgraded from i7-4770 to i7-10700K I have NZXT Kraken M22, it's 120mm liquid cooling system, and it was really good, I have temperatures not higher than 70°C and fan was very silent.
After upgrade to i7-10700K I got temperatures higher than 80°C (it was June in Moscow and about 28°C in my room) on heavy load and 100% fan speed - it was very noisy, in office tasks (browser, a little bit of photo-editing and RAW processing) fan can jump from ~60-70% speed to 100% every 30-40 seconds.
So, I bought NZXT Kraken X73 and it was my best buy. Three 120mm fans on 360mm radiator is very, very good. I connected all 3 fans to my motherboard (Vision D/G has CPU_OPT connector and it can handle up to 3A current - it's enough for pump and 3 fans) and now I can use SmartFan in BIOS to configure fan speed/temperature curve.

Now I have ~35°C idle temperature, and 65-70°C on heavy load (for example Cinebench R20 test) when temperature in my room is 25°C.

VERY IMPORTANT! You need to set you CPU VCore voltage and Load Line Calibration manually in BIOS! In "auto" mode Gigabyte Z490 motherboards set voltage too high and CPU can be "overvoltaged" and very hot!

Read this: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...erboards-with-default-settings-for-your-build

My CPU works fine on VCore 1.2V and LLC "Low" (and crashed in Cinebench R20 if LLC lower than "low", for example, if LLC is "normal"), it overclocked to +100MHz for all boost frequencies.

Last edited:
@Ayvan Thank you very much for all comments. I knew that this motherboard would needs different cooling approach that would go beyond Windows. I think that to replace my H60 cooler I will also need to replace the PC case considering there is not much room to install a three-fans radiator, and keeping in mind that I am using a Cooler Master case MB600L.

So thanks @Ayvan to give me a relief on the possible off-topic and also for provide me with a solid solution.

Regards
CSAT, from the hot city.

Back