Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Please do this:
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side (do not use the 'search' bar) until you get to XHC.
  • All USB ports (HS01, HS02, ..., SS01, SS02, ...) will be listed here.
  • Expand HS11, HS12
  • Capture and post a screenshot

UPDATE: This may not be a good idea after all because both of the USB 2.0 headers on Vision D are managed by the single hub at HS11. If we disable HS11 we will lose both USB 2.0 headers, hence Bluetooth will not work.

Rhetorical question: Who really needs to monitor a power supply? :)
@CaseySJ Here is HS11 and HS12 screenshot below. I actually didn't install the Fenvi wifi/bluetooth card, but I guess I may down the road. Just didn't have a use for it now.

You are right though, I guess I don't really need to monitor the power supply. It was just a nice option in windows to have it show wattage, and some misc things, etc...
I wonder if it's possible to use a different long USB cable for the PSU that can plug into one of the normal USB ports instead of the mobo's header.

How difficult is it to create and change the USB-SSDT back and forth, if I decide to disable the headers for now and then use the Fenvi card later? Or can it mess things up.

HS11-HS12.png

@CaseySJ Here is HS11 and HS12 screenshot below. I actually didn't install the Fenvi wifi/bluetooth card, but I guess I may down the road. Just didn't have a use for it now.

You are right though, I guess I don't really need to monitor the power supply. It was just a nice option in windows to have it show wattage, and some misc things, etc...
I wonder if it's possible to use a different long USB cable for the PSU that can plug into one of the normal USB ports instead of the mobo's header.

How difficult is it to create and change the USB-SSDT back and forth, if I decide to disable the headers for now and then use the Fenvi card later? Or can it mess things up.

View attachment 486601
We can disable port HS11 without modifying the SSDT. This is one of the nice features of USBInjectAll.kext. We can simply add the following to the end of Boot Arguments in OpenCore Configurator --> NVRAM section:
Code:
uia_exclude=HS11
  • Then save config.plist
  • Reboot
  • At the OpenCore Picker, press space to reveal extra options and choose Reset NVRAMat the far right
    • It is necessary to reset NVRAM, otherwise new boot arguments will not take effect
  • When system restarts, boot macOS in the usual way
Now check sleep/wake behavior.

However, if you prefer a modified SSDT, it is attached. We would need to disable the existing one in the ACPI section and add the new one.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2-NO-HS11.aml
    957 bytes · Views: 72
By nearly all accounts here, the answer is yes! The Vision G is also a great choice.
Awesome thank you!

I just ordered all components now, they will arrive next week:

Arctic MX-4 2019
BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX
Gigabyte z490 Vision G
be quiet! Shadow Rock 3
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit
450W be quiet! Straight Power 11
Intel Core i5 10400
8GB Powercolor RX 5700 Red Devil DDR6
1000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

Yes, I am using Apple Magic keyboard and trackpad plus Logitech Mx 3.

I noticed that if chrome browser is open that it will not go to sleep for some reason, now when I closed it and after 15 minutes it went to sleep right away.

@CaseySJ Hi there, I have an issue which I think is related to sleep. My hack is connected via an ethernet cable to my router ( I am using the 2.5Gb port at the back of the hack). Running speedtest, I get 250-273 Mbps download speed which is in line with my ISP plan. However I have noticed that the more the hack goes to sleep, the more bandwidth I lose after wake up to the point where the router reports a link speed of 100Mbps for the LAN port the hack is connected to (a drop from 1Gbps to 100Mbps). When this happens, running speed test reports download speeds of 80-90Mbps.
If I reboot the system then link is back to 1Gbps and download speeds back to around 250-270 Mbps.
I don't know exactly after how long this issue start showing up. Usually the hack stays asleep 20 hours to 22 hours per day.
Any suggestion?
Thanks

@CaseySJ Hi there, I have an issue which I think is related to sleep. My hack is connected via an ethernet cable to my router ( I am using the 2.5Gb port at the back of the hack). Running speedtest, I get 250-273 Mbps download speed which is in line with my ISP plan. However I have noticed that the more the hack goes to sleep, the more bandwidth I lose after wake up to the point where the router reports a link speed of 100Mbps for the LAN port the hack is connected to (a drop from 1Gbps to 100Mbps). When this happens, running speed test reports download speeds of 80-90Mbps.
If I reboot the system then link is back to 1Gbps and download speeds back to around 250-270 Mbps.
I don't know exactly after how long this issue start showing up. Usually the hack stays asleep 20 hours to 22 hours per day.
Any suggestion?
Thanks
Does the same problem occur when connected to the 1 Gbps port (Intel i211)?

On my Vision D the 2.5 Gbps port works the same before and after several sleep cycles:
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 12.09.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-02 at 12.13.57 PM.png

I just installed Vision D and everything is the same and working and I see booting while igpu is primary and iMovie and safari working and apple + and rendering and everything except sidecar since I am using 1.1

here are the scores with Vision D, using Intel Config with WEG 1.39 ImacPro 1.1 and IGFX as primary

View attachment 486355
Im on Vision D and very interested in findings as its FCPX machine

i can boot with igfx as primary with no display connected to mb

with igpu-config - fcpx doesnt start - will tinker more though as the macos system install is not new, just using new machine efi folder...

amd-config with imac pro 1.1 smbios - all exports apart from compressor created custom h.264 preset are faster. im not able to get both gpu visible in about this mac (just copied the igpu part from igpu-config to amd-gpu config and changed to imacpro. not sure if this is the proper way)

when using imac 19,1 smbios i notice lower amd gpu usage and higher igpu usage (than previous case) even for prores export (would expect small igpu usage only to decode h264 source and amd gpu to encode prores).

i cannot boot imac 20,2

test project: h264 multicam media with effects, export to ProresHQ / high bitrate h.264 / h.264 small bitrate compressor preset / optimized and proxy transcode. Will try with more codecs when time allows.

note: i do remember back in the day i had z77x mb/cpu and the way to go with fcpx was only if one had igpu as first

personally will stay with imacpro smbios as export are faster except for fcpx h.264, which i rarely use because of subpar quality to handbrake. Would like to solve this in big sur with imac20,2 smbios, as that setup should last a year and that smbios is closer to this hw...... apart from t2 chip which actually/sadly might be the missing magic sauce in h.264/h.265

BIG thanks to @CaseySJ for putting this EFI and perfect guide together. I mean it.

Back