Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

An update to my FaceTime/Messages login problems.

What I ended up doing:

1. Created brand new Serial/Board Serial/SmUUID/ROM for my EFI. I choose a serial that came up in Apple's coverage checker as Invalid, which I believe is important. See why later in post.

2. I did a complete reinstall of Catalina. Not sure if needed (and since it was a new install to begin with, figured why not)

3. Tried to login to FaceTime/Messages and had same error as before and was given a Customer Code.

4. Called Apple support and gave them the Customer Code.

5. They fixed it on their end and I can now login.

The thing to note, is that I looked up my Serial number again. Instead of it saying "Invalid" it now says "Purchase Date not known" but it shows up on the coverage check website now as a 27" iMac 2019 instead of just saying Invalid. I've noticed some guides say to find a serial number that says "Purchase Date not known" but those numbers may be in use by other Hackintosh people like me and could cause issues for us at some point.

I should also note, that at one point Opencore Configurator gave me a serial to an actual in use and verified iMac with warranty and everything. Don't ever use one of those Serials.

Have you seen this spoiler in Post #1?

View attachment 486449
I'm actually looking for a fix to this also, as my power supply causes the same issue (Corsair HX850i).

@CaseySJ @zedoc Unfortuanately the fix that spoiler points to doesn't seem to fix the sleep issues:
Positives / Issues:
  • You will NOT be able to use a UPS attached to the system via USB or Serial as ioupsd is effectively "missing"
  • Sleep is still an issue as the Corsair components are chatty and they keep waking up the system right after it goes to sleep.

I'm actually looking for a fix to this also, as my power supply causes the same issue (Corsair HX850i).

@CaseySJ @zedoc Unfortuanately the fix that spoiler points to doesn't seem to fix the sleep issues:
Have you tried disabling Wake from USB, which means wake will occur only with power button? If you're running OpenCore 0.6.0 using the EFI from the OpenCore 0.6.0 mini-guide in this thread, then it's just a matter to enabling two checkboxes as shown, and rebooting:
Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 4.58.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-31 at 4.58.37 PM.png

Yes it was not painted properly. I agree you should replace the board while you can.

Thank you CaseySJ for your hard work and knowledge. With you around is better than a real Mac lol

Have you tried disabling Wake from USB, which means wake will occur only with power button? If you're running OpenCore 0.6.0 using the EFI from the OpenCore 0.6.0 mini-guide in this thread, then it's just a matter to enabling two checkboxes as shown, and rebooting:
View attachment 486470View attachment 486471

Just tried to enable both of those in my OpenCore 0.6.0, on my SSD backup drive. The computer went to sleep fine, it stayed asleep fine, and it woke up once I pushed the power button...

But when it shows the login screen my keyboard and mouse didn't work anymore. I tried to unplug them and plug them back in while at the login screen, but the monitor went black like it wasn't getting any signal. So I pushed and held the power button to shut off my system.

On restart, it wouldn't let me use the keyboard or mouse again to enter bios and when it tried booting up Catalina, I got an error message saying something about the system was already running. (or something like that, forgot to take a photo)

I ended up just powering down completely and turned the PSU off and on. Now I'm back in my main Catalina install.

Note: I did this separately of trying the fix the spoiler pointed to.

Good to know. This behavior (with regard to Initial Display Output) might be due to Radeon VII and perhaps Vega as well. But on my system with RX 580 and BIOS F5, the video output does not switch automatically from IGFX to AMD GPU if nothing is connected to IGFX. I should also add that my Thunderbolt firmware has been flashed.

Regarding iMovie, I tried again with 19.1 and WEG 1.39 It also crashed few times with 19.1 and Apple TV plus not playing. With 1.1 everything works except SideCar where it can see iPad. It connect to but with black screen on the iPad.

Just to make sure, does the Vision G Board works as flawlessly as the Vision D Board?

Is it possible to install a new version of Catalina on an old nvme from the z390 build ? I have it in the same system and it looks like the Mac installer will do it (the max installer showed 1 tb available and 1 tb taken) it’s a 2 tb ssd Thanks

Is it possible to install a new version of Catalina on an old nvme from the z390 build ? I have it in the same system and it looks like the Mac installer will do it (the max installer showed 1 tb available and 1 tb taken) it’s a 2 tb ssd Thanks
Sorry @tdcam, I don’t understand the sentence. Can you explain exactly what you want to do?

Just to make sure, does the Vision G Board works as flawlessly as the Vision D Board?
By nearly all accounts here, the answer is yes! The Vision G is also a great choice.

Back