Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

So switching from G to D and what I do not like is this RGB light where you can see 3 bright led lights and you can not even read the letters. Why they did not put it little bit below those letters so it is not visible and now it does not even save in bios settings so I have to look at it so bright.

Is there a way to turn off just this Designare light in OSX, I can not stand this and if not I am returning this MB it really drives me crazy.
Please see:

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 4.55.12 AM.png

Yes it can be turned off.

I just installed Vision D and everything is the same and working and I see booting while igpu is primary and iMovie and safari working and apple + and rendering and everything except sidecar since I am using 1.1

here are the scores with Vision D, using Intel Config with WEG 1.39 ImacPro 1.1 and IGFX as primary

View attachment 486355
Good to know. This behavior (with regard to Initial Display Output) might be due to Radeon VII and perhaps Vega as well. But on my system with RX 580 and BIOS F5, the video output does not switch automatically from IGFX to AMD GPU if nothing is connected to IGFX. I should also add that my Thunderbolt firmware has been flashed.

Hi @CaseySJ, while I'm still trying to track down my problems with my Z390 install, my parts for the Z490 arrive this week. I have a flashed GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card and wanted to use that, as well as a Syba 10gb NIC that has worked well for me in the past. I can use either an RX 580 or RX 5700 XT Nitro+ and have a confirmed working example of the Fenvi wireless card. That should fill all slots: GPU in PCIEX16, Syba 10gb NIC in PCIEX8, Fenvi in PCIEX1_1, and GC-Titan Ridge in PCIEX4.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on three questions. First, do you think it problematic if I use the RX 5700 with the required boot arguments? I don't see any issues from this thread, but wanted to confirm. Second, is it possible to leave the Z490 motherboard unflashed while using a flashed GC Titan Ridge add-in card? And finally, for the Titan Ridge add-in card, other than jumping the two pins, do I need to connect anything else to the motherboard (USB header, etc)?

In this configuration, I'm hoping to be able to take two DisplayPort feeds from my GPU into the GC Titan Ridge add-in card, and then via TB into two TB monitors.

Very excited to build another example of your exemplary builds. Thanks in advance!

Well, I'm pleased to report that the system is working perfectly fine with all three M.2 slots occupied. Just had to perform a Reset NVRAM (always a good idea when changing disk configuration).

This system also has:
  • AMD RX 580 in PCIe slot 1
  • Fenvi FV-T919 in short slot
  • GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card in bottom PCIe slot

Hi @CaseySJ, while I'm still trying to track down my problems with my Z390 install, my parts for the Z490 arrive this week. I have a flashed GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card and wanted to use that, as well as a Syba 10gb NIC that has worked well for me in the past. I can use either an RX 580 or RX 5700 XT Nitro+ and have a confirmed working example of the Fenvi wireless card. That should fill all slots: GPU in PCIEX16, Syba 10gb NIC in PCIEX8, Fenvi in PCIEX1_1, and GC-Titan Ridge in PCIEX4.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on three questions. First, do you think it problematic if I use the RX 5700 with the required boot arguments? I don't see any issues from this thread, but wanted to confirm. Second, is it possible to leave the Z490 motherboard unflashed while using a flashed GC Titan Ridge add-in card? And finally, for the Titan Ridge add-in card, other than jumping the two pins, do I need to connect anything else to the motherboard (USB header, etc)?

In this configuration, I'm hoping to be able to take two DisplayPort feeds from my GPU into the GC Titan Ridge add-in card, and then via TB into two TB monitors.

Very excited to build another example of your exemplary builds. Thanks in advance!
Hello @mathgeek,

To answer your questions:
  1. The RX 5700 and 5700 XT are both known to work on Z490 with agdpmod=pikera
  2. The Z490 motherboard can definitely be left unflashed while using a GC-Titan Ridge. The GC-Titan Ridge itself can either be flashed or unflashed.
  3. In addition to jumping the two pins on GC-Titan Ridge, it might be worth connecting the USB header although I have not done so. My flashed GC-Titan Ridge has been installed in the Z490 Vision D for months. But USB-C hot-plug does not work, so I may connect the USB header myself.
The Vision D is a very good successor to the Designare Z390.

Thanks so much, CaseySJ! Once I get this system up and running reliably I will turn my attention back to the other one and figure it out. Will report back when I have news to share.

Hello @mathgeek,

To answer your questions:
  1. The RX 5700 and 5700 XT are both known to work on Z490 with agdpmod=pikera
  2. The Z490 motherboard can definitely be left unflashed while using a GC-Titan Ridge. The GC-Titan Ridge itself can either be flashed or unflashed.
  3. In addition to jumping the two pins on GC-Titan Ridge, it might be worth connecting the USB header although I have not done so. My flashed GC-Titan Ridge has been installed in the Z490 Vision D for months. But USB-C hot-plug does not work, so I may connect the USB header myself.
The Vision D is a very good successor to the Designare Z390.

Hello guys

A very basic question: I need to use a Kext for implement serial port via usb. The installation program SilabUSBDriverDisk.dmg puts the Kext into /Library/Extensions and it is not good for the Mac health according to one previous topic I found this forum. Considering Open Core is there a way to install the SiLabsUSBDriver.kext using Opencore Configurator? How do I do this?

Thanks

Hello guys

A very basic question: I need to use a Kext for implement serial port via usb. The installation program SilabUSBDriverDisk.dmg puts the Kext into /Library/Extensions and it is not good for the Mac health according to one previous topic I found this forum. Considering Open Core is there a way to install the SiLabsUSBDriver.kext using Opencore Configurator? How do I do this?

Thanks
you may find it will be ok in /Library/Extensions

Hello guys

Thanks
It may be perfectly okay to install that particular kext into /Library/Extensions. Most likely this is a properly signed kext. As long as the developer states that the kext is compatible with Catalina, then it's okay.

Please see:

View attachment 486397

Yes it can be turned off.
yes, I saw that and tried but I am stuck on step 3 and creating the correct script.

I tried

liquidctl -m Gigabyte -d 0 set LED3 color fixed ff0000

I am interested in reducing brightness for designare light all the way down and if I would like to turn it off what I would write there?

liquidctl -m giga -d 0 set sync color color-cycle --speed slowest

slowing in color cycle to slowest speed which I am getting with this I guess?

Last edited:
Back