Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Wow.. the price has gone down for the Vision D!

Anyone predicts this will go lower?
I would buy one now. Once they go out of production (next year) the prices always go up higher than original retail due to scarcity issues.

I just installed Windows 10 yesterday, so here are some suggestions:
  • Format the Windows NVMe SSD (not the USB install disk) on a Mac (yes, a Mac) using Disk Utility:
    • Name: Windows
    • Format: FAT32
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • It's important to set the Scheme to GUID Partition Map. This creates an EFI partition on the Windows NVMe (or SATA) SSD.
  • Download Microsoft's Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 (this must be done on a Windows machine) and then use that tool to create the USB install disk.
  • Now physically disconnect all macOS drives from the system. If you fail to do this, the Windows installer will abort.
  • When the Windows installer starts and you reach the screen to Format the destination disk, select the large FAT32 partition on the Windows NVMe SSD (not the smaller EFI partition).
    • Then delete that FAT32 partition.
    • Now it will change to "Unallocated space".
    • Highlight that row.
    • And click Install. Windows will be installed into the "Unallocated space".
  • When Windows is fully installed, you may shut down the system and reinstall the macOS SSDs.
    • At the OpenCore Picker menu you should now see an option to boot Windows.

Awesome! thanks a lot. Also thanks to RandC and Aldwinn too! :)

Hi
I've been facing issues with my hack. Sometime it simply doen't boot. The last issue is being shown from the information below (I saved using print screen). Reading from that image can someone give a hint what is going on and a possible fix?
Thanks
===
Panic.png

When follow the guide in step 2 when making the USB I get this message in Terminal:

macOS Catalina.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application.

Tried several times, no success. Any ideas?
It should say "Install macOS Catalina.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application". Are you sure it only says "macOS Catalina.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application"?
  1. Please post a screenshot of Terminal where we can see the command you entered and the reply that you received.
  2. Also check the size of "Install macOS Catalina". Simply right-click on the file in Finder and select Get Info.

Hi
I've been facing issues with my hack. Sometime it simply doen't boot. The last issue is being shown from the information below (I saved using print screen). Reading from that image can someone give a hint what is going on and a possible fix?
Thanks
===View attachment 486043
Unfortunately the screenshot is not helpful. Whenever we see:

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: xxxxx

... where xxxxx is a macOS internal kernel task or window task (etc.) then the source of the problem can be anywhere. What was the last application or action run or taken when this occurred? Is it repeatable if you follow the same steps again?

Thank you, @CaseySJ. When we face with such troubles we used to try different approaches and forget what made it work again. I have two SSD m2, one has Windows 10 and the other, OSX. After several tries I made Windows 10 booting again and kept it working for such a long. What I notice with Windows 10 is kind of hot temperatures inside the cabinet when game is in use (Ghost Recon Breakpoint). My CPU cooler is Corsair H60 and I installed two more coolers using SysFan outlet.

I will keep using the system and verify if the issue has gone or if still remains.

Thanks for your support.
CSAT

now adding this

I just tried to replicate patch that I had for my z390 630 igpu and I copied this to OC. What I got is closer little bit from what I had there , 175k result but final cut does not work. I also got that now GeekBench shows both cards for test and you can select 630 and do the test and that is how it was on my z390 when I was getting 220k geekbench 4 gpu and 2:47 minutes rendering 8 min. 4k in h264 vs now 7 minutes...

also when I had that patched on z390 in the system report under graphics/display I was able to see both card Radeon VII and 630. I tried now since it is showing as a card for tests with patch to change gpu to igpu but still did not get final cut to open...

in my attachment gpu.png there we have to see both cards to get those results from z390.

now editing this since I posted...

I tried to delete some of the rows there for PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) where I added my full patch in the screenshot included from z390 which gave me 630 as an option to do the test on geeekbench and that is what I had with z390. Only thing extra that I had is that both cards should show under system reports/ graphics/display

with full patch final cut was not working I tried to delete some of the stuff there and left just those below and now final cut works and I got 5:12 rendering time result vs above 7 minutes before. Still way off from z390 and 2:47 minutes but at least two minutes better. Also geekbench 4 GPU 175k now vs 130k without this and geekbench 5 60k vs 48k ... I think some fine tuning is needed here for patching this igpu and that is causing that rendering is so slow

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)

AAPL,ig-platform-id 07009B3E Data
AAPL,slot-name Internal@0,2,0 String
device-id 9B3E0000 Data
device_type Display controller
framebuffer-con0-index 02000000 Data
framebuffer-patch-enable 01000000 data
framebuffer-unifiedmem 00000080 data
model Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop 9 Series) String
I tried the same settings above for iGPU on the Vision D, but without RadeonBoost:
  • With headless platform ID: GeekBench 5 Metal score: 46454
  • With platformID 0x3E9B0007: GB5 Metal score: 46711
    • No change because the difference is within margin of error.
    • However, good to see that ACDsee Photo Editor for Mac runs okay!
    • But iMovie still crashes on launch.
    • I don't have Final Cut Pro, so cannot test.

Hi
Thanks
===View attachment 486043

That looks like what I was getting. My problem was one of my RAM modules was bad. The process could vary but it always had that kernel_trap type=14 page fault at the top with every freeze.

That looks like what I was getting. My problem was one of my RAM modules was bad. The process could vary but it always had that kernel_trap type=14 page fault at the top with every freeze.
Good point!

I am running 64 Gb with Kingston KVR26N19D8/32. So I can remove one module whenever the bug comes again and try use only 32 gb and swap one or another. In fact, before the issue pops up, PC freezes (lose mouse) and the only way is to press reset to reboot.

Thanks

Back