Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

One more question: If Hotplug of USB3-Devices does not work on my Thunderbolt-Ports (USB2 works, USB3 works only if plugged in before booting) is this unrelated to thunderbolt, or could this be a sign of not properly working thunderbolt? I only have USB devices to test, no TB-device yet...

@CaseySJ I made some tests regarding the patched TB-Firmware and USB3-Hotplug on USBC-Ports:

With patched chip-FW:
-Hotplug not working with TB-SSDT from hackindrom.zapto.org
-Hotplug not working with TB-SSDT from Guy who confirmed working Hotplug without patched TB-chip

With original chip-FW:
-Hotplug working with TB-SSDT from hackindrom.zapto.org
-Hotplug working with TB-SSDT from Guy

I could also confirm longer boot-times (from OC to Login) with patched firmware:
Patched: 25sec
Unpatched: 18sec
Maybe this is also related to this USB-problem, because with patched TB-controller, verbose boot stops at a line with something about USB properties for over 5sec, and with original FW it does not stop there.

I tried two methods for USB-setup, your SSDT+USBInjectAll & USBPorts.kext from Hackintool, but that makes no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again! I have to say I´m quite happy with my working hackintosh setup. However, I´d like to make it dual boot with windows now. How should I do it? Is there any guide you´d recommend? Any opencore settings I have to take into account?
I just tried creating a USB installer for windows with the rsync -wha command in terminal, I boot into windows but then I got stuck trying to install. I got an error when I selected the windows drive.
I just installed Windows 10 yesterday, so here are some suggestions:
  • Format the Windows NVMe SSD (not the USB install disk) on a Mac (yes, a Mac) using Disk Utility:
    • Name: Windows
    • Format: FAT32
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • It's important to set the Scheme to GUID Partition Map. This creates an EFI partition on the Windows NVMe (or SATA) SSD.
  • Download Microsoft's Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 (this must be done on a Windows machine) and then use that tool to create the USB install disk.
  • Now physically disconnect all macOS drives from the system. If you fail to do this, the Windows installer will abort.
  • When the Windows installer starts and you reach the screen to Format the destination disk, select the large FAT32 partition on the Windows NVMe SSD (not the smaller EFI partition).
    • Then delete that FAT32 partition.
    • Now it will change to "Unallocated space".
    • Highlight that row.
    • And click Install. Windows will be installed into the "Unallocated space".
  • When Windows is fully installed, you may shut down the system and reinstall the macOS SSDs.
    • At the OpenCore Picker menu you should now see an option to boot Windows.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ I made some tests regarding the patched TB-Firmware and USB3-Hotplug on USBC-Ports:

With patched chip-FW:
-Hotplug not working with TB-SSDT from hackindrom.zapto.org
-Hotplug not working with TB-SSDT from Guy who confirmed working Hotplug without patched TB-chip

With original chip-FW:
-Hotplug working with TB-SSDT from hackindrom.zapto.org
-Hotplug working with TB-SSDT from Guy

I could also confirm longer boot-times (from OC to Login) with patched firmware:
Patched: 25sec
Unpatched: 18sec
Maybe this is also related to this USB-problem, because with patched TB-controller, verbose boot stops at a line with something about USB properties for over 5sec, and with original FW it does not stop there.

I tried two methods for USB-setup, your SSDT+USBInjectAll & USBPorts.kext from Hackintool, but that makes no difference.
USB-C hot plug is currently broken in all patched firmware (on-board controller and add-in-cards) on Gigabyte Z490 systems. Please note that if you do not have Thunderbolt devices, but only USB-C devices, you should use the original unflashed firmware.

We're trying to find a solution for USB-C hot plug, but it may take some time and there is no guarantee we'll succeed.

USB-C hot plug does work on Designare Z390 with flashed Thunderbolt firmware, but not on Z490.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not see it there
That means it's not loading. Have you configured the OpenCore config.plist correctly? Please post screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel.

• CPU ID was masked as follows:
    • Cpuid1Data was changed to EB060800 00000000 00000000 00000000
    • Cpuid1Mask was changed to FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000
    • See screenshot down below

It worked but if you work with Docker, it got an error like this:
"filesystem layer verification failed for digest sha256..."
source: Github

Perhaps you have other solution ?

USB-C hot plug is currently broken in all patched firmware (on-board controller and add-in-cards) on Gigabyte Z490 systems. Please note that if you do not have Thunderbolt devices, but only USB-C devices, you should use the original unflashed firmware.

Thanks for that information! I did not know that, but if the problem is already known, then I guess there is nothing I can add or help.
I will see if the soundcard I want to use on that machine works with original FW when it arrives and then decide if I need the patched firmware.
Thanks for your work and your efforts!

It worked but if you work with Docker, it got an error like this:
"filesystem layer verification failed for digest sha256..."
source: Github

Perhaps you have other solution ?
The CPUID fields are not needed for Catalina -- at least not for my i5-10400. I use CPUID for Big Sur, but hopefully that too will become unnecessary with SMBIOS iMac20,1 when OpenCore 0.6.1 is released.

The CPUID fields are not needed for Catalina -- at least not for my i5-10400. I use CPUID for Big Sur, but hopefully that too will become unnecessary with SMBIOS iMac20,1 when OpenCore 0.6.1 is released.
Thank you for the information, I think I will back to Catalina.

That means it's not loading. Have you configured the OpenCore config.plist correctly? Please post screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel.
Is radeonboost a plist-only kext? If so it will not show up in kextstat...

I think it is there when I tried again but still Final Cut rendering is so slow. I even found my old post where with z390 with radeonboost.kext and patched intel igpu together with Radeon VII my rendering of the same video was 2:47 and now is 7 minutes...

now geekbench GPU is 170k vs 130k without the radeonboost.kext but on z390 with i9900k I had 220k

Now they have i9 9900k for 370$ which looking how that worked faster is maybe better option for me but not sure since I did not try i9 9900k on big sur

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    695.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.png
    2.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Back