Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

The Raspberry Pi 2B will work. Another option is the US$10 USB-based CH341a programmer (by Arceli), which definitely supplies 3.3V on Vcc and other pins. A full guide is provided here:
Thanks so much for the reply. I am in Canada so I am figuring out which parts would get here first. Just a small question which I am sure I know the answer to already (just want to make sure)... Being I have the Vision D coming it has the TitanRidge chipset, so I would wire the clip directly to the GPIO ports on the RPi, correct? the breadboard method is for people with other motherboards and chipsets? Thanks again for your efforts.

Thanks so much for the reply. I am in Canada so I am figuring out which parts would get here first. Just a small question which I am sure I know the answer to already (just want to make sure)... Being I have the Vision D coming it has the TitanRidge chipset, so I would wire the clip directly to the GPIO ports on the RPi, correct? the breadboard method is for people with other motherboards and chipsets? Thanks again for your efforts.
We have seen a wide range of experiences with these motherboards (both the Vision D and Z390 Designare). In many if not most cases, we need to connect the 24-pin power cable and flip power switch on PSU to ON (but not turn on the motherboard). The idle or standby current from the PSU powers the Winbond chip and allows us to read and write. In this case the chip is powered by the motherboard, so we *disconnect* Pin 8 on the SOIC clip (which is Vcc).

However, you may also try disconnecting the 24-pin cable and powering the Winbond chip through the Raspberri Pi or the Arceli programmer.

Then there’s the question you asked: do you connect the SOIC clip directly to the Pi or Arceli, or do you need the resistor/capacitor circuit? The short answer is simple: Try a direct connection first. If it fails, then try the resistor/capacitor circuit. However, it is also absolutely critical to attach the SOIC clip gently and carefully atop the Winbond chip. If all 8 pins of the clip and the chip are not aligned and properly contacted, then you will see errors from “flashrom”.

Has any one come across this with 0C 0.6.1
on my system in the signature (Skylate) system reboots after picker, verbose mode, only lines shown are:

End SetConsoleMode
Start OpenKernelRootVolume
End OpenKernalRootVolume

Same EFI folder works with OC 0.6.0. I did not update lilu + it's plugins to try the OC 0.6.1
(Background: I want/need a stable OC 0.6.1 for my Z490 build as I want to use SMBIOS iMac20,2)

Thanks!
Edit: I tried with latest builds of plugins, I think it’s borked for 10.13/skylake.

EDIT 2: SOLVED. In OC.0.6.1 Set SecureBootModel to Disabled

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback,
Regarding the HDTV:
Regarding the internal HDMI port:

Ok, I fixed my HDTV problem, HDMI port of my graphics card is ok.
No more need for the internal port.

When you say "suspend activity" do you mean "sleep"? When you attempt to put the machine to sleep, the fans remain at full speed? If so, please try removing the Fenvi FV-T919 (always shutdown system and flip power switch to OFF when adding or removing components from the motherboard). Does sleep/wake work properly when the Fenvi is removed?

It's quite strange: when the sleep starts by itself (screen or computer), no problem to wake up it.
But when I manually click on "sleep" (apple menu), after a few seconds the fans go crazy and nothing responds anymore, with or without my Fenvi card.

For those paying attention, I relocated my graphics card in my Vision D from the 8x slot to the 16x slot. To do so I had to replace the Sabrent heat sink with the much smaller Gigabyte provided one in order to keep the Windows NVMe in the first NVMe socket. I also relocated the PCI SATA interface Catalina boots from to the 8x PCI slot. Doing all this borked the Windows boot device settings presumably because I had installed the Gigabyte Intel storage drivers that messed with the BIOS. Rewinding to the latest Windows restore point solved that, but I'm not on the "fancy" storage drivers now. I ran the Crystal bench again, and now instead of 2500 read/write, it's now 3400/3150. It's not the 5000 read/write commonly reported on Amazon for the Sabrent, but it's progress. The real question is why it got better. I'm thinking the location of the NVMe and the PCI cards are not acting as described in the manual. The speeds reported before are exactly what you might expect if the NVMe was sharing with someone. Others report the speeds cut by half when they combine things the manual states are shared resources. Except in my case the manual indicated I was not sharing any resources. Moving things around should not have improved anything. But it did???? I would still like to get the NVMe up closer to 5000 if possible, just "because". And the question remains if I want to reinstall the Gigabyte Rapid Store driver 17.9.0.1007? I'm not using any RAID function. The NVMe does appear in BIOS as Intel Rapid Store, and Windows claimed at one point you could not uninstall once it's installed.

During the test the NVMe reached about 62C. Otherwise it seems to run at about 54C.

And quit bitching at me about this referencing Windows. I'm dual booting Mac/Win, and I feel this is relevant for a lot of use cases found here. Windows gives you visibility into things at the hardware level, and the Mac does too. It's not 100% overlap. And even the OP mentions dual booting Windows.

What is the specific model name/number of your UAD Apollo? Is it running the latest UAD firmware?
I have Apollo UAD2 with latest version v9.12.2
on my previously GA-Z170X-UD5-TH Apollo work! (already 3-4 years)
MacBook Pro - work as usual with same TB2 cable.
only z490 vision-D not work!:(
I guess that's my mainboard Z490 vision-D had some thunderbolt issue, I should exchange it because I purchased it only few days ago.

Last edited:
I ran the Crystal bench again, and now instead of 2500 read/write, it's now 3400/3150. It's not the 5000 read/write commonly reported on Amazon for the Sabrent, but it's progress.

I would still like to get the NVMe up closer to 5000 if possible, just "because".
Do you realize that your wish isn’t currently possible on z490, as Comet lake-s runs in PCIE 3.0 mode? The top speed you’re gonna get is roughly 3500 MB/sec.

To get faster the speeds you need PCIe 4.0, and at the moment that is AMD only. We’re hoping Rocket lake-s brings pcie 4.0 to z490, but for now we’re stuck on pcie 3.0.

To get faster the speeds you need PCIe 4.0, and at the moment that is AMD only. We’re hoping Rocket lake-s brings pcie 4.0 to z490, but for now we’re stuck on pcie 3.0.
Or install the M.2 device on a card that has a PCIe 4.0 switch. I think they'll be available soon (probably very expensive?)

The PCIe 4.0 switch should be able to connect to a PCIe 3.0 slot. The switch should use PCIe 3.0 for upstream and PCIe 4.0 for downstream.

Couple of quick suggestions:
  • Do you have a Fenvi FV-T919 or FV-HB1200 WiFi/BT card? If so, please try removing the card and testing this Restart issue again.
  • Also try a CMOS Reset. This will require BIOS to be reconfigured afterwards.
Nope I haven't got any of those cards. The one I have is the genuine apple combo bt/wifi + pcie x1 adapter
I'll try the cmos reset

Back