Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Some questions/comments:
  • Have you tried connecting other Thunderbolt 3 devices? Do they work?
  • In BIOS, please confirm that Thunderbolt Security is set to No Security.
  • In BIOS, please confirm that Thunderbolt Boot Support is set to Boot Once (this is recommended for UAD owners).
    View attachment 485545
  • Also ensure that latest UAD drivers are installed for macOS.
  • Also ensure that latest firmware is installed on the UAD device itself.

Thanks CaseySJ!

I have used same settings without any luck and unfortunately I don't have any other TB3 devices:(
at first I thought that my TB3 adapter or TB2 cable has issue, but fortunately I had spare, anyway it's not problem of the cable or adapter they just fine.
What about windows...? it seems that windows at the moment does not solve any problems with hackintosh, right?

I'm joining the team, and I can't thank @CaseySJ enough for his work in providing us with a precise and exemplary installation. Thanks to the contributors of this project!

The differences of my installation:
- i7 10700K
- RAM: G.Skill 64GB: F4-3200C16Q-64GVK
- Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB

My feedback so far:

Getting started:
  • Contrary to my previous hardware, you have to plug a switch on the PW pins of the motherboard to start the machine, it's stupid but I searched for a long time...

Installation:
  • BIOS in version 2, upgrade to F5 easily thanks to a USB key (Fat 16/32) and the new BIOS file from Gigabyte's site.
  • An error message prevents the installation of MacOS, solved by resetting the date via the terminal (date MMDDHHmmYY)

USB:
  • I've had several boot-up losses on the USB keyboard on the rear panel connections, the internal USB 2.0 seems to be stable so far.

SATA:

Multi Monitors:
  • My 2 monitors work perfectly via the DisplayPort of the RX 580, but its HDMI outputs don't work on my HDTV, the cable and the display are 1.4 compatible.
  • Same for the internal HDMI port (UHD 630), not functional, but it causes a complete freeze of the machine!

Fenvi T919:

Temperature:
  • I use the Shadow Rock 3 as well, and I am very pleasantly surprised by the operating temperature of the 10700K, below 35°C at rest! Never had such a quiet machine :)
  • What do you use to control the temperature and the fans? Is it necessary to install HWsensors or special kexts? My usual softwares recognize very few parameters.

I tried to "Suspend activity" from the apple menu, but it was a failure, impossible to reactivate the machine and the fans remain at full speed!

Your comments are welcome, especially on my HDMI problems (UHD 630 and RX 580). Thanks for your feedback!

Quick question: If you explicitly put the system to sleep from the Apple menu, does it go to sleep and stay sleep? When it first enters sleep, it may wake up within 30 seconds, remain on for about 60 seconds, but then go to sleep and stay asleep. Do you experience this behavior?
No. Here is what I observe:
1. Select sleep from Apple menu. Display goes to sleep. Computer eventually goes to sleep. Then computer and display almost immediately wake up. After that I waited over 3 minutes for computer and display to go to sleep again but they never did.
2. Select sleep from Apple menu. Turn off mouse. Display goes to sleep. Computer eventually goes to sleep. Both stay asleep until I hit space on the keyboard (mouse is turned off).

Rand

I placed order on parts to build a 10900K with a Vision - D. I have been reading through the Thunderbolt 3 flashing guide to enable extended mode. I have a Raspberry Pi 2 sitting around. Would this be sufficient? Also wondering if I would just be better off ordering a CH341A Programmer instead? I have a macbook pro sitting around here that would be more ideal to flash with instead of fussing with a new raspberry pi.

Would this be sufficient? Also wondering if I would just be better off ordering a CH341A Programmer instead? I have a macbook pro sitting around here that would be more ideal to flash with instead of fussing with a new raspberry pi.

I also used one of my Pis, it's perfect! Don't buy these cheap CH341A programmers, they often output 5V instead of the needed 3,3V. A Pi outputs only 3,3V guaranteed, so its a lot safer.
Also, a setup with a Pi is really useful because it can be connected over wifi/ethernet and you can log in with your computer over network. so you can setup the clip and the pi and all cables on a breadboard somewhere and don't touch it while you flash it over SSH on your computer without the risk of touching wires or moving the programmer in your usb-port.

also, don't get scared too much about the various guides and tipps for flashing: I would recommend to just try to flash it at first: Connect all wires from your PI to your clip and use flashrom to backup the current image and flash the new one. I made that process two times, always sucessful on first try. no need for capacitors/resistors somewhere, no need to power the board with your PSU...just put on the clip and flash.
Good luck!

I think you'll be the first to use the Vision G with the ASUS xg-c100c. Let us know how it goes...

I installed it yesterday vision g mb f6 bios with 10900k and asus xg-c100c working. Have 1200 fanvi in the last slot and asus in the one above that working on 4x both working.

Tried to upgrade to big sur but after it downloads and starts installation and r3ser it self it freeze right on the beginning screen shot

Attachments

• 349D129C-8070-4FDA-AF47-6A89A854A83F.jpeg
    349D129C-8070-4FDA-AF47-6A89A854A83F.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 51
I installed it yesterday vision g mb f6 bios with 10900k and asus xg-c100c working. Have 1200 fanvi in the last slot and asus in the one above that working on 4x both working.
Glad to hear it!
Tried to upgrade to big sur but after it downloads and starts installation and r3ser it self it freeze right on the beginning screen shot
Please note that very little if any support will be provided for Big Sur public beta. Anyone that wishes to experiment with Big Sur should try to be self-sufficient. Nevertheless, please ensure:
  • CFG-Lock is disabled (on Vision G, install BIOS F6 where CFG-Lock is disabled by default)
  • Try using CPUID as described here:

I'm joining the team, and I can't thank @CaseySJ enough for his work in providing us with a precise and exemplary installation. Thanks to the contributors of this project!
Glad to hear the build went well!
Multi Monitors:
  • My 2 monitors work perfectly via the DisplayPort of the RX 580, but its HDMI outputs don't work on my HDTV, the cable and the display are 1.4 compatible.
  • Same for the internal HDMI port (UHD 630), not functional, but it causes a complete freeze of the machine!
Regarding the HDTV:
  • Check the owner's manual for instructions on connecting a PC. Some TVs have dedicated ports for gaming PCs/consoles.
  • Wide Color and HDR modes may also need to be turned off.
Regarding the internal HDMI port:
  • It will only work when we change Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 and apply HDMI frame buffer patches.
  • But when we do this, many applications will crash on launch; Safari may not render some websites properly; etc.
  • The on-board HDMI port is not recommended for general use, but only as a stop-gap measure for installation or troubleshooting.
Temperature:
  • I use the Shadow Rock 3 as well, and I am very pleasantly surprised by the operating temperature of the 10700K, below 35°C at rest! Never had such a quiet machine :)
  • What do you use to control the temperature and the fans? Is it necessary to install HWsensors or special kexts? My usual softwares recognize very few parameters.
At this time, fans can only be monitored, but not controlled via macOS. But BIOS contains comprehensive Fan Curve support.
I tried to "Suspend activity" from the apple menu, but it was a failure, impossible to reactivate the machine and the fans remain at full speed!
When you say "suspend activity" do you mean "sleep"? When you attempt to put the machine to sleep, the fans remain at full speed? If so, please try removing the Fenvi FV-T919 (always shutdown system and flip power switch to OFF when adding or removing components from the motherboard). Does sleep/wake work properly when the Fenvi is removed?

Thanks CaseySJ!

I have used same settings without any luck and unfortunately I don't have any other TB3 devices:(
at first I thought that my TB3 adapter or TB2 cable has issue, but fortunately I had spare, anyway it's not problem of the cable or adapter they just fine.
What about windows...? it seems that windows at the moment does not solve any problems with hackintosh, right?
On this system it is not necessary to install Windows or the Windows Thunderbolt drivers because macOS will initialize and use on-board Titan Ridge controller without any problem.

What is the specific model name/number of your UAD Apollo? Is it running the latest UAD firmware?

No. Here is what I observe:
1. Select sleep from Apple menu. Display goes to sleep. Computer eventually goes to sleep. Then computer and display almost immediately wake up. After that I waited over 3 minutes for computer and display to go to sleep again but they never did.
2. Select sleep from Apple menu. Turn off mouse. Display goes to sleep. Computer eventually goes to sleep. Both stay asleep until I hit space on the keyboard (mouse is turned off).
Interesting. What is the make/model of your mouse?

Back