Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Anyone tried Big Sur Public Bbeta 2?
It seems to be working just fine on my box, safari seems to be working; was broken on the last beta of iGPU was enabled. Sleep works.
Will update shortly.

Big Sur Public Beta #2 Released Today:

Update:
Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 5.07.05 PM.png

Happy to report that Safari is working properly now! No more "page was reloaded too many times."

Last edited:
Hullo - I had an issue with being unable to download anything from the app store. I hit Get and it just spun for a bit, and didn't do anything. All the rest of my iMessage/iCloud etc worked fine, so I knew it wasn't the serial number.

A bit of research gave me this solution THAT WORKED. I deleted NetworkInterfaces.plist inside Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, rebooted, and it then worked totally fine. I did notice that in System Preference -> Network, there were 4 ethernet devices, which was showing 3 & 4 connected before reboot; now 1 & 2. Must have been leftovers from the Z390 Designare, and issues with 'en0'.

Hope this helps someone!

"InstallAssistant" generated a memory access violation (segmentation fault in which the process tried to access memory outside of its allocated memory segment).

Couple of suggestions:
  • Use a good name brand USB flash disk (USB 3.0 preferred) and capacity of 16GB or larger.
  • Erase the USB flash disk.
  • Re-create the USB flash disk (no need to re-download Catalina...yet) by following the appropriate sections of Step 2.
  • Try the installation again using the new or reformatted USB flash disk.
Do you have another SSD available just in case there's a problem with WD M.2? Even a SATA SSD can be used temporarily.
I figured it out. I wanted to post my solution in case anyone else ran into this issue. For my configuration I had to disconnect the extra SSD drive from the motherboard that I had. Once I did that, I was able to install macOS. For some reason having an extra drive connected to the MoBo caused this issue.

Note:
I care more about a cool and quiet system than I do about all the bling, so on arrival of the Radeon, I performed the following:
  • Repasted with Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut
  • Deshrouded and added 2x Noctua A12x25 fans
  • Added an upHere GPU brace to prevent sagging
The GPU sits at 35° at idle and under load the highest I can get it to is 71°. Nice thing is that it is very quiet.
This is so awesome...
how did you attach the fans to the gpu/heatsink?

This is so awesome...
how did you attach the fans to the gpu/heatsink?
The fans are attached using zip ties. That way it is totally reversible if I decide to sell the card when Big Navi gets released.
IMG_20200819_065842.jpg

@CaseySJ question on the bootpicker and dual boot. Currently I have win10 and macos on 2 NVMes. I am using the bootstrap method in OC and my default boot drive is macos. I had to use CTRL+ENTER in the opencore picker to set the default boot drive to mcos because setting the start up disk from macos does not work.
Last night I booted win 10 to install a few things then when done I rebooted the system.
What am I supposed to see in the OC boot picker in terms of selected boot drive? should it still be pointing to the macos os boot drive?
Because it did not. It was pointing the the win 10 drive.
is it supposed to be like that? The reason I am asking is that I am using the apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse and the genuine apple combo BT+Wifi. One of the advantages of this combo card is that it keeps the pairing data available when the system is off and when you boot, BT devices - here the keyboard and mouse - are reconnected during post. However it takes a little while for the card to wake up and reconnect the devices. And by the time the BT devices re reconnected, I have past the boot picker. Hence in the above case, I need to have a wired keyboard in order to select the macos drive after booting/exiting win 10 because the BT card does not reconnect the KB fast enough

You're right -- in version 2 of EFIClone, TEST_SWITCH is disabled by default (set to "N"). Although the script has been tested, it's a good idea to set this to "Y" in order to perform a test run. The DESTINATION disk should be the bootable backup disk. If you have any questions about this, please post a screenshot of Carbon Copy Cloner so I can better understand the issue.

View attachment 485080

@byteminer, is this intentional?

Certainly not, that is entirely my bad. I think I was testing it and forgot to switch it back before pushing my commit.
It's since been remedied and the switch is now set to dry-run by default, as it should be.
Thanks for catching this!

@CaseySJ question on the bootpicker and dual boot. Currently I have win10 and macos on 2 NVMes. I am using the bootstrap method in OC and my default boot drive is macos. I had to use CTRL+ENTER in the opencore picker to set the default boot drive to mcos because setting the start up disk from macos does not work.
Last night I booted win 10 to install a few things then when done I rebooted the system.
What am I supposed to see in the OC boot picker in terms of selected boot drive? should it still be pointing to the macos os boot drive?
is it supposed to be like that? The reason I am asking is that I am using the apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse and the genuine apple combo BT+Wifi. One of the advantages of this combo card is that it keeps the pairing data available when the system is off and when you boot, BT devices - here the keyboard and mouse - are reconnected during post. However it takes a little while for the card to wake up and reconnect the devices. And by the time the BT devices re reconnected, I have past the boot picker. Hence in the above case, I need to have a wired keyboard in order to select the macos drive after booting/exiting win 10 because the BT card does not reconnect the KB fast enough
You could set the picker time to 0, so that your input is required before any OS is booted? I use the Magic Keyboard and Trackpad too, and with a little bit of fiddling i’ve managed to keep both devices paired across both OS, Windows using the onboard Intel, and Catalina using the Fenvi. Works in BIOS etc too.

If the partitions on your Windows 10 disk are in non-standard order (e.g. EFI partition is not the first partition) then several of these problems can occur, including the inability to specify Startup Disk in System Preferences.

Try the following:
  • Open config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and enable AdviseWindows
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 5.43.04 AM.png

Back