Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

To All:

Is anyone else using Corsair Vengeance 16GB DIMM modules? If so, please let us know if your system can boot with X.M.P. Profile 1 enabled on a Z490 Vision D or Vision G.

I'm using G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MHz 16GB DIMMs (2 of them for 32GB). XMP Profile 1 is enabled with no issues.

Based on some searches I've selected Profile 1 first and then made a change to Advanced Memory Settings/Memory Channels Timing/Channels Advanced Timing Control/tRC from Auto to 56. Took some runs up to 44 after change, but booted successfully. And no more runs up to 44/rerun after the initial boot.

I had Corsair vengeance on xmp 3200 MHz @ 1.34 voltage on my vision D and it was rock solid. I’m now using Corsair dominator xmp at same frequency and voltage no problem. I put the vengeance in my z170 box and they’re fine in macOS and windows.

In fact before I was using the vengeance in the z170 box, I had to DISABLE xmp on my prior ram kit from crucial. I couldn’t run it at 2666 MHz in macOS, system would hang...so I had to stay at the stock 2400. but the vengeance works well. I got Corsair because the RGB mode is programmed by iCue into the memory’s firmware. So the RGB mode that I select in windows survives a reboot, unlike the trident z.

Alas I know my reply does not help to solve the stability issues you're seeing. It just suggests that macOS can be completely stable with an RX 5700 XT. It may be advisable to pursue the dreaded Process of Elimination or to even jump the gun and install fresh copy of Catalina on a spare SSD to see if the system is stable under load. If a clean system is stable under load, then it certainly suggests that a not-clean system may be responsible. Certain applications or drivers might be causing problems.

I haven't built with it yet, but I have a 10900K, Vision-G and Nitro+ 5700XT just waiting for me to finish a project and then it's go-time :) I asked because people who don't have issues with their systems tend to not post how well things are going, squeaky wheels getting grease and whatnot. I don't see many posts about stable 5700XT builds but lots of unstable ones :). I'm a pretty fastidious builder so I'm confident I'll have a good experience!

I tried createinstallmedia with the latest 10.5.6 and got the following with my 16GB USB drive:

Error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 "âInstallESD.dmgâ couldnât be copied to âSharedSupportâ." UserInfo={NSSourceFilePathErrorKey=/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg, NSUserStringVariant=(
Copy
), NSDestinationFilePath=/Volumes/Install macOS Catalina/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg, NSFilePath=/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fe92aa209a0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=34 "Result too large"}}The copy of the installer app failed.

I'm working on downloading 10.5.5 now in case that works.

Poll: Does *ANYONE* following this thread with a Z390 / Z490 system and with an RX5700XT have a completely stable system? No unexpected restarts under load/benchmarks etc? It seems there are not a lot of completely working 5700XT based systems, if any...

Thanks!

Yup mine is rock solid. Used as a pro audio workstation so has to be!

I tried createinstallmedia with the latest 10.5.6 and got the following with my 16GB USB drive:
I'm working on downloading 10.5.5 now in case that works.
Hope you got it working...

Success! Followed the guide to the letter. Only issue that I encountered was that bluetooth on the Fenvi did not initially work. I moved the cable to a different on-board USB slot and it worked.

System boots from the selection of Catalina to the login prompt in about 12 seconds. I haven’t found anything that doesn’t work yet.

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 9.31.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 9.36.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 9.38.02 PM.png

Thank you for such a great guide!

Specs:
  • Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX case
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
  • Intel i9 10900KF
  • Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
  • 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws - DDR4 3200
  • Fenvi FV-T919
  • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT
  • 2 x Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 m.2
  • LaCie 4TB USB-C drive for backups
Note:
I care more about a cool and quiet system than I do about all the bling, so on arrival of the Radeon, I performed the following:
  • Repasted with Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut
  • Deshrouded and added 2x Noctua A12x25 fans
  • Added an upHere GPU brace to prevent sagging
The GPU sits at 35° at idle and under load the highest I can get it to is 71°. Nice thing is that it is very quiet.
IMG_20200819_154032.jpg

Success! Followed the guide to the letter. Only issue that I encountered was that bluetooth on the Fenvi did not initially work. I moved the cable to a different on-board USB slot and it worked.

System boots from the selection of Catalina to the login prompt in about 12 seconds. I haven’t found anything that doesn’t work yet.

View attachment 485061
View attachment 485062
View attachment 485063

Thank you for such a great guide!

Specs:
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
  • Intel i9 10900KF
  • Fenvi FV-T919
Note:
I care more about a cool and quiet system than I do about all the bling, so on arrival of the Radeon, I performed the following:
  • Repasted with Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut
  • Deshrouded and added 2x Noctua A12x25 fans
  • Added an upHere GPU brace to prevent sagging
The GPU sits at 35° at idle and under load the highest I can get it to is 71°. Nice thing is that it is very quiet.
View attachment 485064
That is a fantastic mod.... I'd do the same thing If my card wasn't under warranty... Big slow fans are always better than small fast ones in my books :)

Specs:
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
  • Intel i9 10900KF
  • Fenvi FV-T919
Good job! The Dark Rock Pro 4 appears to be a tight fit. Some questions:
  • Is there enough of a gap or clearance between the fan and the G.Skill Ripjaws DIMMs?
  • Is there enough of a gap or clearance between the heat sink and the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT?
  • Is the GPU in Slot 1?

Back