Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi all, firstly, thanks so much for all the valuable info and the time and effort that has gone into making this resource!

I've got a working Catalina install on this setup which I've been running pretty much problem-free since early July:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S with extra fan (originally had the D15 but swapped to the S so I could use PCIE slot 1)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 32GB (16GBx2)
Power Supply: Corsair RM650
GPU: Asus Radeon 8GB OC RX580
Case: BeQuiet! Pure Base 500 window (with 3x140mm Pure Wings 2 fans - one on the back, 2 on the front)
Hi Higgie, thanks for sharing.
I'd like to confirm if you tried the NH-D15 will block the PCIE slot 1 (graphics card).
I've just brought NH-D15, if you confirmed(tried), I must swap to D15S too.
Thank you.

Hi Higgie, thanks for sharing.
I'd like to confirm if you tried the NH-D15 will block the PCIE slot 1 (graphics card).
I've just brought NH-D15, if you confirmed(tried), I must swap to D15S too.
Thank you.
Hi, yes I bought the D15 without looking at the compatibility chart that Noctua have on their website. It definitely blocks the top PCIE slot on the Z490 Designare. I returned it and bought the ‘S’ model and can confirm everything fits, although once the GPU is in the top slot, popping the tab if you need get it out again can be quite tricky!

Hey
I'm planning to buy a new PC and to dual boot Windows for gaming and macOS for programming
So I just wanted to make sure my components are compatible and that it would be suitable for this guide before I order

[TD]NH-D15 Chromax Black 140MM 1500RPM 82CFM Model[/TD]

The NH-D15 is not compatible with that motherboard... Look at the NH-D15S. I am looking at a similar build right now. You maybe able to add another Noctua fan onto the NH-D15S to get similar, if not better performance than the D15.

Oh, I just saw the above post.. sorry for the duplicate answer. but the added FAN should give you the added cooling performance that matches if not exceeds the standard D15. (From what I have read)

One of the reasons that I ordered Vision g is that it comes without WiFi because I do not want to have Broadcom with 4 antennas plus wifi6 antennas on the computer sitting next to me. Am I crazy and tripping?

I need to have 10 gbit connection since my qnap will be in the closet and I ran cables in few rooms in the new house so Asus 10 gbit I hope it will work as it worked on z170 gaming 7 gigabyte.

I used on original iMac 2019 tb3 with qnap but it was awful experience every time after sleep it would not connect and omg moving to 10 gbit wasa saver.

I do not really need WiFi, only by for my apple keyboard and Magic Trackpad, will that work with the intel one without Broadcom ? Will that side thing (forgot the name) will not work putting my iPad Pro next to it? I have fanvi 1200ac. I am just thinking now returning vision g specially that both are now even cheaper 20$ And maybe ordering D but. It sure if 100$ extra is worsted and I just do not want to have double WiFi to fry my head next to it

The one in the middle. The one closest to CPU doesn't work anyways right now. For reference I'm using a WD Black SN750 1TB with model number WDS1000TRX0C-00SJG0 manufactured in Feb 2020, running the latest firmware.

FWIW, before I installed macOS on this, I did install the latest Windows 10 release 2004

Will do still waiting for the cpu, coming on Friday

Successfully deployed my first Hackintosh thanks to this build!

Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
Intel i5 10400
Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8Gb
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb M.2
32Gb Ram (Corsair Vengeance 2x 16GB RAM DDR4, 3200MHz)

Had trouble with my initial Clover install then stumbled on this (very similar) build so figured I'd try following the steps.
BOOM!!! I stuck to the steps verbatim and it installed and booted first time and took less than an hour! Brilliant write-up, step-by-step instructions and attached file sets! Thank you CaseySJ!

The ONLY 2 small changes to the step-by-step instructions I'd suggest are to do with the "Vision G" - specific part.

(1) Suggest a spoiler link for the "Vision G" peeps before end of Step 4 (ie: during OpenCore Configurator and before Copy EFI folder to EFI partition).

(2) The name of the file in the G Package is “SSDT-UIAC-VISION-G-V2.aml” so I have used this file name in place for both the below steps:
  • In the OpenCore ACPI folder, replace SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2.aml with SSDT-UIAC-VISION-G-V1.aml located in the attached Vision G Package.zip
  • Then open config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and change the rename SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2.aml to SSDT-UIAC-VISION-G-V1.aml in the ACPI section.
Unfortunately I'm stuck with my wired USB kbd/mouse while my Magic Mouse & KBD await a working Bluetooth/Wireless solution - awaiting components. Wired Internet for now - works great!

G.

Last edited:
The NH-D15 is not compatible with that motherboard... Look at the NH-D15S. I am looking at a similar build right now. You maybe able to add another Noctua fan onto the NH-D15S to get similar, if not better performance than the D15.

Oh, I just saw the above post.. sorry for the duplicate answer. but the added FAN should give you the added cooling performance that matches if not exceeds the standard D15. (From what I have read)

I did exactly that and bought a second (well actually I bought 2, as I wanted Chromax.black fans) NF-A15. Works a treat.

I did exactly that and bought a second (well actually I bought 2, as I wanted Chromax.black fans) NF-A15. Works a treat.
thanks for replying to this. I was second guessing if adding a second fan would cause space issues. Glad to know it is a safe go! just figuring out a build right now.

Poll: Does *ANYONE* following this thread with a Z390 / Z490 system and with an RX5700XT have a completely stable system? No unexpected restarts under load/benchmarks etc? It seems there are not a lot of completely working 5700XT based systems, if any...

Thanks!

One of the reasons that I ordered Vision g is that it comes without WiFi because I do not want to have Broadcom with 4 antennas plus wifi6 antennas on the computer sitting next to me. Am I crazy and tripping?
I don't think you're crazy. We're bombarded with electromagnetic radiation emanating from nearby sources. Although they tell us it's non-ionizing radiation that does not harm our cells, I also tend to avoid unnecessary excess. Often it's better to error on the side of caution. Nevertheless, if we don't attach an antenna to the on-board WiFi module, it won't radiate. We can also physically remove the on-board WiFi module, but it's not necessary. Moreover, macOS does not turn on the Intel WiFi module (unless we use the beta AppleIntelWiFi driver), so we don't really have to worry about it.
I do not really need WiFi, only by [Bluetooth] for my apple keyboard and Magic Trackpad, will that work with the intel one without Broadcom ? Will that side thing (forgot the name) will not work putting my iPad Pro next to it?
The AppleIntelBluetooth driver (also in Beta) works quite well, but does not support Handoff. So that side thing known as Sidecar will not work.
I have fanvi 1200ac. I am just thinking now returning vision g specially that both are now even cheaper 20$ And maybe ordering D but. It sure if 100$ extra is worsted and I just do not want to have double WiFi to fry my head next to it
Both Vision G and Vision D are solid boards. If Thunderbolt is important, then Vision D may be the better choice because flashed on-board controllers work better (often significantly better) than flashed add-in cards.

On my Vision D, both Windows and Linux use the on-board Intel WiFi 6 module. That is a state-of-the-art AX201 module with WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1. It delivers much faster speeds than the Broadcom, which I use only in macOS.

Back