Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I've just done a quick experiment - Cloned my 10.15.6 updated install to the Crucial Sata 2.5" SSD and compared boot times.

Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 - 35 seconds
Crucial BX200 960GB SATA 2.5" SSD - 18.5 seconds

I thought the M.2 boot was a tad slow, but literally half the time on a SATA drive? Got to be something wrong here?
Fascinating! Some questions:
  1. Are these boot times repeatable?
  2. Are these times being measured after selecting macOS from the OpenCore Picker and stopping when the macOS login window appears?
  3. How full is the XPG SX 8200 Pro?

Fascinating! Some questions:
  1. Are these boot times repeatable?
  2. Are these times being measured after selecting macOS from the OpenCore Picker and stopping when the macOS login window appears?
  3. How full is the XPG SX 8200 Pro?

1. I believe so. The ADATA boot time is consistently around 35 secs. I have only booted the SATA drive twice, literally just now. The first time to make sure it booted, and the second time I timed it, as I couldn't believe how quick it booted. I'll give it another go now, just to confirm.

2. Yes. I pressed F12 to choose the EFI located on the Crucial Sata disk, then booted the "MacOS Backup" from Opencore. 18.45 secs to the Login screen. I then restarted, and pressed F12 again to make sure I was booting from the EFI on the main drive (ADATA 1TB) and then chose the "MacOS" drive - booted in 35 secs with the usual 8-10 second hang I showed in my last post.

3. The 8200 Pro has 896GB free - In fact, the backup SSD has 816GB free, so technically has less free space than the ADATA!

Edit:
Yep.

SX8200 Pro - 36.97secs
Crucial SATA - 18.28secs

Used Carbon Copy Cloner and the EFI Clone script - so as far as I can see, the Crucial drive is an EXACT clone. With my GPU issue (x8 instead of x16) I'm wondering if there is a problem with my motherboard, as all my problems seem to be PCIE related!

Last edited:
1. I believe so. The ADATA boot time is consistently around 35 secs. I have only booted the SATA drive twice, literally just now. The first time to make sure it booted, and the second time I timed it, as I couldn't believe how quick it booted. I'll give it another go now, just to confirm.

2. Yes. I pressed F12 to choose the EFI located on the Crucial Sata disk, then booted the "MacOS Backup" from Opencore. 18.45 secs to the Login screen. I then restarted, and pressed F12 again to make sure I was booting from the EFI on the main drive (ADATA 1TB) and then chose the "MacOS" drive - booted in 35 secs with the usual 8-10 second hang I showed in my last post.

3. The 8200 Pro has 896GB free - In fact, the backup SSD has 816GB free, so technically has less free space than the ADATA!

Edit:
Yep.

SX8200 Pro - 36.97secs
Crucial SATA - 18.28secs

Used Carbon Copy Cloner and the EFI Clone script - so as far as I can see, the Crucial drive is an EXACT clone. With my GPU issue (x8 instead of x16) I'm wondering if there is a problem with my motherboard, as all my problems seem to be PCIE related!
This would be good test for @crossmoid as well (namely, to clone the disk to SATA SSD or to boot from a SATA SSD backup disk if one exists, and time the startup duration). To determine where those 36.97 seconds are going, can you please boot from the NVMe SSD and type the following in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -2500 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
This will log the first 2500 lines into a file in Documents folder called bootlog.txt. Feel free to post the file or post just the subsection showing a pause (if there is one).

This would be good test for @crossmoid as well (namely, to clone the disk to SATA SSD or to boot from a SATA SSD backup disk if one exists, and time the startup duration). To determine where those 36.97 seconds are going, can you please boot from the NVMe SSD and type the following in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -2500 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
This will log the first 2500 lines into a file in Documents folder called bootlog.txt. Feel free to post the file or post just the subsection showing a pause (if there is one).

As requested.

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    424.4 KB · Views: 577
As requested.
There is one 14-second pause in the log that may (or may not) be due to initializing the WiFi module. Are you using onboard Intel WiFi/BT or a Fenvi/YOUBO?

There is one 14-second pause in the log that may (or may not) be due to initializing the WiFi module. Are you using onboard Intel WiFi/BT or a Fenvi/YOUBO?

I'm using a Fenvi HB1200. Would that make a difference to which SSD I'm booting from?

I'm using a Fenvi HB1200. Would that make a difference to which SSD I'm booting from?
We can’t discount the possibility because we’ve seen conflicts between WiFi cards and NVMe slots. So an experiment would be to remove the Fenvi and check boot times between the NVMe and SATA SSDs.

We can’t discount the possibility because we’ve seen conflicts between WiFi cards and NVMe slots. So an experiment would be to remove the Fenvi and check boot times between the NVMe and SATA SSDs.

Ok a very slight improvement - 33.62 seconds. This is what verbose shows the hang to be at, the disk in question being the very SATA drive that is blowing the SX8200 Pro away:

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 52
Ok a very slight improvement - 33.62 seconds. This is what verbose shows the hang to be at, the disk in question being the very SATA drive that is blowing the SX8200 Pro away:
Just something to try, if you feel so inclined, since I have been having alot of problems with my 1tb SX8200 Pro in the 3rd M2P slot:

You can try to move your SX8200 Pro to the first or 2nd M2 slot and boot again, leaving the 3rd slot empty. See if that helps at all possibly.

May be a PITA though, since you'd most likely have to remove your GPU to do it, but just something to try if all else fails.

To positively determine whether the Bluetooth problem is related to OpenCore 0.6.1, please try the original OpenCore 0.6.0 EFI again to see if Bluetooth does indeed still work.
Thanks, Casey
I try to use 0.60 EFI with Imac 20,1 smbios and can't boot up with white apple logo

Back