Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Have you contacted Gigabyte Tech Support?

I received a new Silicon Power 512GB NVMe SSD couple of days ago that I can install into the M2A slot and see what happens.

Current Config:
  • M2A - empty
  • M2M - Silicon Power 256GB NVMe (Big Sur)
  • M2P - Sabrent Rocket 256GB NVMe (Catalina)
New Testing Config (for later today):
  • M2A - Silicon Power 512GB NVMe
  • M2M - Silicon Power 256GB NVMe (Big Sur)
  • M2P - Sabrent Rocket 256GB NVMe (Catalina)

I believe I found the problem. I had a RIITOP NVMe Adapter with a Crucial 512 NVME drive in the last PCIE slot. After I removed it, it appears the system started booting normally consistently. I am not sure if it is a compatibility issue since the drive worked with no problem when it finally boot.

M2A - Samsung 970, 1 TB Windows 10

M2M - Sabrent Rocket 2 TB (Catalina)
M2P - Samsung 970, 2 TB Video/Sound Volumes

Big Sur on TB3 Drive

I believe I found the problem. I had a RIITOP NVMe Adapter with a Crucial 512 NVME drive in the last PCIE slot. After I removed it, it appears the system started booting normally consistently. I am not sure if it is a compatibility issue since the drive worked with no problem when it finally boot.

M2A - Samsung 970, 1 TB Windows 10

M2M - Sabrent Rocket 2 TB (Catalina)
M2P - Samsung 970, 2 TB Video/Sound Volumes

Big Sur on TB3 Drive
You see, process of elimination!

Hi
Thanks for the guide
Everything works for me perfectly

Except for one thing
And I'll be happy if we can solve it

As a video editor, fast playback is important to me
And Intel's Quick Sync is important to work just like a iMac

Currently installed according to your guide
As you can see in the attached picture
The gfx req stands at 0.33
It should stand at 1.20 (or more?)

View attachment 484441
In my Hackintosh based 8700K
I manage to get exactly 1.20 (attach photo)
Which makes Playback in the Final Cut much faster

View attachment 484442

I would be very happy to help with this issue
It will make the z490 Hackintosh the most perfect!

This might be comparing Apple's to Time Machines, but this worked on my 6700K: if you're using Whatevergreen, add the boot arg
Code:
igfxfw=2

This might be comparing Apple's to Time Machines, but this worked on my 6700K: if you're using Whatevergreen, add the boot arg
Code:
igfxfw=2
@ICEVISION @canyondust,

Agreed. Please try that.

I left this out because at the time the build guide was written, Z490 was a brand new platform and the Intel iGPU had a new device ID that was not supported by macOS. It was not clear whether igfxfw=2 would cause problems, so the conservative decision was to keep it out. This parameter has the effect of replacing the original Graphics Micro Code (or GuC) on the iGPU with a custom Apple version.

Upgraded from my Z390 Designare today. Really simple process - I just updated the BIOS and applied suggested settings, downloaded Casey's 0.6.0 Opencore EFI, and put in my serial number etc.. I tried iMac20,1 first and Opencore loader was giving me the dreaded white prohibited sign, so just sticking with iMac19,1 until I hear more.

To follow up on some of my earlier comments: removing the power limits on a non-K chip works GREAT! In the BIOS, I simply set the Package Power Limit 1 & 2 to 4000 watts, and it'll let the computer suck as much juice as it wants without throttling itself unnecessarily as designed by default. 8 core, 16 thread at 4.6ghz/4.7ghz stable over an extended period of time in Cinebench to clock a continuous score of ~4760, and Geekbench score of 8158. This never went over 80°C with a Noctua D15S. EDIT: After making sure XMP was working to get 3200mhz RAM, those scores became 4985 and 9030! I had to manually set the speed to 3200 instead of Auto to make this work.

Might be able to squeeze better performance out of it by optimising things (see if iMac20,1 helps, I guess), and could set the BCLK at 102.9 to get more like 4.7/4.8ghz if I wanted; decided against that because of hearing rumours of it messing with NVME drives, and I just don't need the extra performance at this point in time.

Thank you again for your tireless efforts - anyone who contributes here actively helps us save money, time & patience!!

Last edited:
@ICEVISION @canyondust,

Agreed. Please try that.

I left this out because at the time the build guide was written, Z490 was a brand new platform and the Intel iGPU had a new device ID that was not supported by macOS. It was not clear whether igfxfw=2 would cause problems, so the conservative decision was to keep it out. This parameter has the effect of replacing the original Graphics Micro Code (or GuC) on the iGPU with a custom Apple version.
Thank you!
Basically this is exactly the right answer.
I somehow managed to get over it yesterday.

But, a huge thanks.
You really are something special!

Have you tested with Big Sur? Is Safari working on iMac20,1? It's super buggy on iMac19,1. 'm going to give it a go later this week...
Thanks for the help @canyondust

I will check later this week how Big Sur works on this system
Update!

Hi all, firstly, thanks so much for all the valuable info and the time and effort that has gone into making this resource!

I've got a working Catalina install on this setup which I've been running pretty much problem-free since early July:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S with extra fan (originally had the D15 but swapped to the S so I could use PCIE slot 1)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 32GB (16GBx2)
Power Supply: Corsair RM650
GPU: Asus Radeon 8GB OC RX580
Case: BeQuiet! Pure Base 500 window (with 3x140mm Pure Wings 2 fans - one on the back, 2 on the front)
Wifi/BT: Fenvi HB-1200
Monitor: LG 34WN80B-C (34" Ultrawide 3440x1440)
SSDs:
ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2: Catalina
ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2: Windows 10
Crucial BX200 960GB 2.5" SSD: Catalina bootable backup
Crucial MX500 2TB 2.5" SSD: Catalina Storage
Peripherals: Apple Magic Trackpad 2, Apple Magic Keyboard with Number Pad

Main uses: Catalina for Multimedia (I'm a musician, so primarily Logic Pro X, Premiere Pro, Photoshop etc) and Windows 10 side is for gaming. As you can see I have both OS installed on separate identical 1TB ADATA M.2 drives. I've put them in M.2 slots 2 and 3 as if I have to remove them for any reason, removing the graphics card is a pain due to the cooler - Is it absolutely imperative that the Windows SSD is in slot 1?

I haven't had many issues, I added device ids in my config.plist to enable HDMI Audio and Sidecar which has worked a treat. I was thinking of upgrading to OpenCore 0.6.0 and Catalina 10.15.6. I have my bootable backup in case anything goes wrong, is this a good idea if everything is stable as I have it?

One problem I am having (although in real world terms it's not actually a problem) my RX580 is sometimes seen as x16 and sometimes as x8, when I have nothing in PCIE slot 2 - and there doesn't seem to be any reason/pattern to it. This is in the BIOS, Windows 10, and Catalina. Sometimes from a cold boot it is reading as x16, and I can boot into either OS from OpenCore and it stays that way. Sometimes I check the BIOS before booting and it reads as x16, so when I save and exit, the computer restarts and it's then reading at x8 again. Obviously the difference in performance is very minimal - But I'm worried that it could be a defective component that would then cause me trouble further down the line, so I'd love to narrow down what the problem is and any potential fixes. I get that this problem isn't Hackintosh specific so feel free to ignore it, just wondered whether anyone had come across anything like this before and had any potential solution to my problem. I raised a query with Gigabyte about this and they recommended I flash my BIOS to F5D (it was on F2 when I got it) and this got the card reading at x16 again initially so I was happy, but it has since reverted back to x8 most of the time. Seeing that the F5 BIOS update was released I flashed it with this version recently but still no change.

Apologies for the really long post, but one final question - Is there any downside to booting Windows from OpenCore instead of from the BIOS boot menu? To me it seems kind of counter intuitive to make Windows think it's running on a Mac, when the hardware is designed for it, and the goal of this whole thing is to make MacOS think it's running on a Mac. I'm using BootStrap in the config.plist.

Upgraded from my Z390 Designare today. Really simple process - I just updated the BIOS and applied suggested settings, downloaded Casey's 0.6.0 Opencore EFI, and put in my serial number etc.. I tried iMac20,1 first and Opencore loader was giving me the dreaded white prohibited sign, so just sticking with iMac19,1 until I hear more.

To follow up on some of my earlier comments: removing the power limits on a non-K chip works GREAT! In the BIOS, I simply set the Package Power Limit 1 & 2 to 4000 watts, and it'll let the computer suck as much juice as it wants without throttling itself unnecessarily as designed by default. 8 core, 16 thread at 4.6ghz/4.7ghz stable over an extended period of time in Cinebench to clock a continuous score of ~4760, and Geekbench score of 8158. This never went over 80°C with a Noctua D15S. EDIT: After making sure XMP was working to get 3200mhz RAM, those scores became 4985 and 9030! I had to manually set the speed to 3200 instead of Auto to make this work.

Might be able to squeeze better performance out of it by optimising things (see if iMac20,1 helps, I guess), and could set the BCLK at 102.9 to get more like 4.7/4.8ghz if I wanted; decided against that because of hearing rumours of it messing with NVME drives, and I just don't need the extra performance at this point in time.

Thank you again for your tireless efforts - anyone who contributes here actively helps us save money, time & patience!!

Try building the OpenCore 0.6.1 beta. They added the iMac20 series platform data to their 0.6.1 beta codebase (if you follow them on GitHub).

Back