Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@kiwimac
Can I ask you a question: do you have any issues with your 3rd M2 slot (the M2P one) when you have your SX8200 Pro 1 tb installed in it?

I have the Z490 Vision D, and 2 Sx8200 Pro 1 TB M2 drives. They will only work in the first two M2 slots (M2A and M2M)...
Whenever I have one of them in the 3rd slot, the computer gets stuck at a bios load failure screen, and even the mobo RGB leds don't come on.

Would love to know if you have the same problem. Gigabyte support has been no help so far.
Currently I have a Silicon Power NVMe in M2P. No issues. I have one ADATA SX8200 Pro (512GB I believe) that I can swap in later today.

Currently I have a Silicon Power NVMe in M2P. No issues. I have one ADATA SX8200 Pro (512GB I believe) that I can swap in later today.
OK, that would be awesome. Thank you. I did an exchange for a new motherboard, and just finished putting it together and the new board is doing the same thing.

Not sure if I'm having some bad luck or if the mobos just don't like the SX8200 in the M2P slot. I haven't even gotten around to installing the hackintosh part yet.

Having 3 M2 slots was one of my main reasons for wanting this board.

Anyone else has crashes when macos goes to sleep ?

Noticed it's happening each time:

Code:
Sleep Wake failure in EFI

Failure code:: 0xffffffff 0x0000001f

Please IGNORE the below stackshot

================================================================
Date/Time:        2020-08-13 16:19:49 -0400
OS Version:       ??? ??? (Build ???)
Architecture:     x86_64
Report Version:   29

Data Source:      Stackshots
Shared Cache:     0x9770000 C50414D1-6CF0-3B52-A827-D6D20EB99B42

Event:            Sleep Wake Failure
Duration:         0.00s
Steps:            1

Boot args:        keepsyms=1 dart=0 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80

Time Awake Since Boot: 14s

Process:          swd [271]
Architecture:     x86_64
Footprint:        468 KB
Start time:       2020-08-13 16:19:49 -0400
End time:         2020-08-13 16:19:49 -0400
Num samples:      1 (1)

Thread 0x957    1 sample (1)    priority 4 (base 4)
  <thread QoS background (requested background), thread darwinbg, process darwinbg, IO tier 2>
  1  start + 1 (libdyld.dylib + 109769) [0x7fff70790cc9] 1
    1  ??? [0x100f5c454] 1
      1  ??? [0x100f5c1dd] 1
        1  __stack_snapshot_with_config + 10 (libsystem_kernel.dylib + 135862) [0x7fff708f22b6] 1
         *1  ??? [0xffffff80002c1206] 1
           *1  ??? [0xffffff8000984c37] 1
             *1  ??? [0xffffff800089d7c1] 1
               *1  ??? [0xffffff80002e49e7] (running) 1

Binary Images:
        0x7fff70776000 -     0x7fff707acfff  libdyld.dylib (750.6)               <24C41E8B-6B33-30C7-94C9-02D2BD051D66>  /usr/lib/system/libdyld.dylib
        0x7fff708d1000 -     0x7fff708fdfff  libsystem_kernel.dylib (6153.141.1) <2B6311E6-6240-3EF7-8C87-475B66F7452C>  /usr/lib/system/libsystem_kernel.dylib

Could be ur hack is hibernating.

To check in terminal, type: sudo pmset -g

See whether hibernatemode is set to 0. If not, type: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

You may also want to run:
sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0
sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0

For overall better sleep. Cheers!

@kiwimac
Can I ask you a question: do you have any issues with your 3rd M2 slot (the M2P one) when you have your SX8200 Pro 1 tb installed in it?

I have the Z490 Vision D, and 2 Sx8200 Pro 1 TB M2 drives. They will only work in the first two M2 slots (M2A and M2M)...
Whenever I have one of them in the 3rd slot, the computer gets stuck at a bios load failure screen, and even the mobo RGB leds don't come on.

Would love to know if you have the same problem. Gigabyte support has been no help so far.

I have a SX8200 Pro 1TB as well. Also got a couple other NVMe's, my SX8200 Pro 1TB works on the bottom M.2 slot just fine.

NVMe's and mobos can have peculiar interactions sometimes. Try resetting CMOS, BIOS update, not populating bottom PCIe slot, (it shares bandwidth with bottom m.2 slot) plugging in 1 SSD at a time. If nothing else works, as you already mentioned a mobo exchange that happened, it is most likely a mismatch between you particular SSD(s) and the Vision D.

Last edited:
I have a SX8200 Pro 1TB as well. Also got a couple other NVMe's, my SX8200 Pro 1TB works on the bottom M.2 slot just fine.

NVMe's and mobos can have peculiar interactions sometimes. Try resetting CMOS, BIOS update, not populating bottom PCIe slot, (it shares bandwidth with bottom m.2 slot) plugging in 1 SSD at a time. If nothing else works, as you already mentioned a mobo exchange that happened, it is most likely a mismatch between you particular SSD(s) and the Vision D.

Definitely not what I was hoping to hear. What board revision do you have? Mine is Rev:1.1.
Is there any BIOS setting/option you have enabled that corresponds to the M2P slot that I'm supposed to be using?

I tried everything on both motherboards. Using only 1 NVMe at a time, resetting CMOS, taking out the battery for 30 minutes. I am on Bios F5 and have even tried reflashing F5 on it. On F2 Bios the board won't even get to a BIOS load error. It just stays in a constant reboot cycle.

Whenever I have my SX8200 Pro in the M2P slot the board reboots multiple times before taking me to a BIOS load error screen and the mobo's blue RGB lights don't ever come on. When I enter the BIOS from the load error screen the board recognizes the drive in the slot, it lists the drive in the BIOS under NVMe devices, it passes the self checks on it from the BIOS options... but it just won't load correctly. I would think it's the drives itself, except they work fine in the other 2 slots with no issues.

Sadly, I don't want to return a 2nd mobo and try again on a 3rd board. Maybe I'll try to do an exchange for a new SX8200 Pro, but I'm doubtful that will help.

Hoping that another person can test their board with a SX8200 and see what happens. So frustrated right now.

Definitely not what I was hoping to hear. What board revision do you have? Mine is Rev:1.1.
Is there any BIOS setting/option you have enabled that corresponds to the M2P slot that I'm supposed to be using?

I tried everything on both motherboards. Using only 1 NVMe at a time, resetting CMOS, taking out the battery for 30 minutes. I am on Bios F5 and have even tried reflashing F5 on it. On F2 Bios the board won't even get to a BIOS load error. It just stays in a constant reboot cycle.

Whenever I have my SX8200 Pro in the M2P slot the board reboots multiple times before taking me to a BIOS load error screen and the mobo's blue RGB lights don't ever come on. When I enter the BIOS from the load error screen the board recognizes the drive in the slot, it lists the drive in the BIOS under NVMe devices, it passes the self checks on it from the BIOS options... but it just won't load correctly. I would think it's the drives itself, except they work fine in the other 2 slots with no issues.

Sadly, I don't want to return a 2nd mobo and try again on a 3rd board. Maybe I'll try to do an exchange for a new SX8200 Pro, but I'm doubtful that will help.

Hoping that another person can test their board with a SX8200 and see what happens. So frustrated right now.

Literally, just saw your previous comment on the mobo exchange and went on to edit my first reply saying it’s prolly the ssd(s). I will check mobo rev tomorrow and let you know.

These ssds have some quality control issues, had to exchange my very first 8200 pro because it caused random reboots. Exchanged unit was fine.

I also just picked up a sx8800 1tb from Amazon yesterday, this thing has almost the same specs, but weirdly enough it’s throttling down to 400-500mb/s on black magic disk speed test after 20 secs or so of 2600-3000mb/s r/d.

@kiwimac

I haven’t used the 3rd slot. I’m away from the computer this week, but on my return I’m happy to test and provide you an update. My understanding you are having an issue with any drive in that slot - whether boot or data - correct?

what brand of drive are you using?

OK, that would be awesome. Thank you. I did an exchange for a new motherboard, and just finished putting it together and the new board is doing the same thing.

Not sure if I'm having some bad luck or if the mobos just don't like the SX8200 in the M2P slot. I haven't even gotten around to installing the hackintosh part yet.

Having 3 M2 slots was one of my main reasons for wanting this board.

BTW, I have the Visio G (didn’t feel I needed the native TB support). Will get back to you in a couple of days when I get back to the computer.

At this time I would suggest avoiding Western Digital Black (WD Black) NVMe SSD. Other than that you should be okay.

I'm running 10.15.5 on a WD SN750 1TB perfectly fine. I installed using OpenCore 0.5.9 and yet to check out 0.6.0 with 10.15.6.

Speed, thermals, power consumption etc are similar to that in Windows.

ASUS xg-c100c uses an Aquantia AQC 107 controller which is natively supported in macOS. Please also see:
Or...

As I wrote,
That Asus card worked on my old hackintosh but only in the PCI second slot. Since I was planning to buy Asus Pro Art, I sold it. Also, I had Z490 Asus Pro Art without CPU, and I tested that 10Gbit card with my Z170 hackintosh, and it did not work in my slots. Now I was able to score i9-10900K finally, and now I ordered Vision G and just checking how Asus 10Gbit will work with that mb.

Back