Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Do you have any Thunderbolt devices connected? Or any Universal Audio (UAD) applications that start on login?
Hey Casey,

Yeah, got a Twin X Quad and a silver face Apollo with the TB3 card in it. I did think of that but the stalls happen regardless of whether they’re switched on or not.

would that make a difference?

Hello @RandC,

Glad to hear the Macintosh part of the journey was rather uneventful. Windows, however, is easier to install if you have a Windows computer. Simply use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to create a USB install disk.

Issue 1: OpenCore Picker.
  • First, change the Boot Order in BIOS to the macOS SSD followed by Windows SSD.
  • After logging into macOS, use System Preferences --> Startup Disk to set macOS as the default startup disk.
  • Open your config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and set Misc --> Security --> BootProtect to Bootstrap.
Issue 2: Changing Monitor Settings.
  • Although you did not mention the make/model of your monitor, some settings on the monitor might confuse macOS. For example, changing SST to MST (single stream transport to multi-stream transport) can have adverse consequences. So lock in the desired settings on the monitor and minimize changes.
Issue 3: Name of Windows Disks in OpenCore Picker.
  • OpenCore is still a pre-release software package. It is version 0. You will find several cases where people abbreviate it to 6.0, but it is not version 6! It is still version 0 -- or more precisely, version 0.6.0.
  • Over time it might include the ability to display Windows volume names, but I don't think it supports that at this time.

Hey Casey,

Yeah, got a Twin X Quad and a silver face Apollo with the TB3 card in it. I did think of that but the stalls happen regardless of whether they’re switched on or not.

would that make a difference?
Understood. Can you quantify the stalls and describe where in the startup sequence they're occurring. For example:
  • From power-up to Gigabyte splash screen. How much time?
  • From splash screen to OpenCore Picker menu. How much time?
  • From OpenCore to macOS Login window. How much time?
  • From Login window to when computer is fully responsive and usable. How much time?

Hello @RandC,

Glad to hear the Macintosh part of the journey was rather uneventful. Windows, however, is easier to install if you have a Windows computer. Simply use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to create a USB install disk.

Issue 1: OpenCore Picker.
  • First, change the Boot Order in BIOS to the macOS SSD followed by Windows SSD.
  • After logging into macOS, use System Preferences --> Startup Disk to set macOS as the default startup disk.
  • Open your config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and set Misc --> Security --> BootProtect to Bootstrap.
Issue 2: Changing Monitor Settings.
  • Although you did not mention the make/model of your monitor, some settings on the monitor might confuse macOS. For example, changing SST to MST (single stream transport to multi-stream transport) can have adverse consequences. So lock in the desired settings on the monitor and minimize changes.
Issue 3: Name of Windows Disks in OpenCore Picker.
  • OpenCore is still a pre-release software package. It is version 0. You will find several cases where people abbreviate it to 6.0, but it is not version 6! It is still version 0 -- or more precisely, version 0.6.0.
  • Over time it might include the ability to display Windows volume names, but I don't think it supports that at this time.

Thanks Casey. OpenCore picker does default to Mac OS X and I had set BootProtect to Bootstrap. I didn't use Media Creation Tool, but Disk Utility to convert the iso file to a cdr file and then burned that file to DVD. That booted and installed Windows. Thanks for the info about OpenCore Picker. I have to try to remember which Windows disk I boot from and which is the backup :). Shouldn't need to boot into Windows much anyway thankfully.

I want to buy vision g, I have Fenvi FV-HB1200 card also Asus xg-c100c 10 gbit Ethernet. Will 10 gbit card work on vision G plugged in the 3 rd pci, I have Radeon vii. On my old z170 asus 10 gbit works only in the second pci slot when it is shared with gpu on x8

Last edited:
Hello @PoloX,

Welcome to the forum, and good choice to build a Vision D Hackintosh!

The Samsung 970 EVO Plus is compatible now because of new firmware. In the rare event that your EVO Plus comes with old firmware, it can be upgraded through a self-booting USB flash disk or by using Samsung Magician software for Windows.

At this time I would suggest avoiding Western Digital Black (WD Black) NVMe SSD. Other than that you should be okay.

Hey there - I purchased the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro (both 1TB and 2TB) and have been very happy. They are a great price on Amazon and have very good specs and benchmarks.

Anyone else has crashes when macos goes to sleep ?

Noticed it's happening each time:

Code:
Sleep Wake failure in EFI

Failure code:: 0xffffffff 0x0000001f

Please IGNORE the below stackshot

================================================================
Date/Time:        2020-08-13 16:19:49 -0400
OS Version:       ??? ??? (Build ???)
Architecture:     x86_64
Report Version:   29

Data Source:      Stackshots
Shared Cache:     0x9770000 C50414D1-6CF0-3B52-A827-D6D20EB99B42

Event:            Sleep Wake Failure
Duration:         0.00s
Steps:            1

Boot args:        keepsyms=1 dart=0 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80

Time Awake Since Boot: 14s

Process:          swd [271]
Architecture:     x86_64
Footprint:        468 KB
Start time:       2020-08-13 16:19:49 -0400
End time:         2020-08-13 16:19:49 -0400
Num samples:      1 (1)

Thread 0x957    1 sample (1)    priority 4 (base 4)
  <thread QoS background (requested background), thread darwinbg, process darwinbg, IO tier 2>
  1  start + 1 (libdyld.dylib + 109769) [0x7fff70790cc9] 1
    1  ??? [0x100f5c454] 1
      1  ??? [0x100f5c1dd] 1
        1  __stack_snapshot_with_config + 10 (libsystem_kernel.dylib + 135862) [0x7fff708f22b6] 1
         *1  ??? [0xffffff80002c1206] 1
           *1  ??? [0xffffff8000984c37] 1
             *1  ??? [0xffffff800089d7c1] 1
               *1  ??? [0xffffff80002e49e7] (running) 1

Binary Images:
        0x7fff70776000 -     0x7fff707acfff  libdyld.dylib (750.6)               <24C41E8B-6B33-30C7-94C9-02D2BD051D66>  /usr/lib/system/libdyld.dylib
        0x7fff708d1000 -     0x7fff708fdfff  libsystem_kernel.dylib (6153.141.1) <2B6311E6-6240-3EF7-8C87-475B66F7452C>  /usr/lib/system/libsystem_kernel.dylib

Hey there - I purchased the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro (both 1TB and 2TB) and have been very happy. They are a great price on Amazon and have very good specs and benchmarks.

@kiwimac
Can I ask you a question: do you have any issues with your 3rd M2 slot (the M2P one) when you have your SX8200 Pro 1 tb installed in it?

I have the Z490 Vision D, and 2 Sx8200 Pro 1 TB M2 drives. They will only work in the first two M2 slots (M2A and M2M)...
Whenever I have one of them in the 3rd slot, the computer gets stuck at a bios load failure screen, and even the mobo RGB leds don't come on.

Would love to know if you have the same problem. Gigabyte support has been no help so far.

@CaseySJ

Hello Casey , Hello Evr'ybody !! :wave:

I would like to know if you ,Casey, or anybody here with the Z490 Motherboard have knowledge about THE OPTANE MEMORY (H10) of INTEL ( Gigabyte Z490 vision D is compatible Intel Optane ) ?

I would like to know if it can be used for hackintosh ?

Or if not , can i use it in the dualboot for Windows Disk SSD OS ? And use another SSD NVMe like Samsung for the OS Hackintosh ?

Finally, When we use 2 SSD NVMe, one for Windows, one other for MAC OS : Do the SSD disks interact with each other ? Does it create an issue if one SSD is not compatible with MAC O.S. ?

Thank You o_O

I want to buy vision g, I have Fenvi FV-HB1200 card also Asus xg-c100c 10 gbit Ethernet. Will 10 gbit card work on vision G plugged in the 3 rd pci, I have Radeon vii. On my old z170 asus 10 gbit works only in the second pci slot when it is shared with gpu on x8
ASUS xg-c100c uses an Aquantia AQC 107 controller which is natively supported in macOS. Please also see:
Or...

Last edited:
Back