Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Try this:
  • Run Disk Utility and select View --> Show All Devices.
  • Then look at the left sidebar.
  • What disk names do you see?
In the example below we see that:
  • The two Catalina drives are named consistently (yellow box)
  • The two Big Sur drives are not named consistently (magenta box)
If you see an inconsistent name, you can right-click on that name in Disk Utility and select Rename to change it.
View attachment 484054
I haven't got as far as installing Big Sur yet.

Please find a screenshot of my disk volumes.

I notice that my Catalina Volumes are APFS (Encrypted) and the Catalina Backup Volumes are not. Looks Ok otherwise. Not sure if this is how it should be!

But the Catalina Volume still appears named as 'parallels' on the OpenCore Boot Screen. I have tried changing its name but without success. Still shows as 'parallels'.

Feeling a bit confused here!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 15.39.32.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 15.39.32.png
    168.4 KB · Views: 66

I notice that my Catalina Volumes are APFS (Encrypted) and the Catalina Backup Volumes are not. Looks Ok otherwise. Not sure if this is how it should be!

But the Catalina Volume still appears named as 'parallels' on the OpenCore Boot Screen. I have tried changing its name but without success. Still shows as 'parallels'.

The Encrypted APFS Volumes were down to turning FileVault on during the recent Supplemental Update. So I've turned that off now.

You could also try CMOS Reset, which will completely clear all NVRAM. This will require BIOS parameters to be reconfigured. If you're running BIOS F5 then CFG-Lock will still be disabled (which is good). But if running an earlier version of BIOS, then CFG-Lock will need to be disabled (or macOS will not boot).

If this does not work, then alas you may need to use Google Search or contact Parallels.

You could also try CMOS Reset, which will completely clear all NVRAM. This will require BIOS parameters to be reconfigured. If you're running BIOS F5 then CFG-Lock will still be disabled (which is good). But if running an earlier version of BIOS, then CFG-Lock will need to be disabled (or macOS will not boot).

If this does not work, then alas you may need to use Google Search or contact Parallels.

Tried loading BIOS Defaults and re-setting, but it did not make a difference.

I guess I might wipe the NVMe and restore a backup.

Tried loading Bios Defaults and re-setting but It did not make a difference.
CMOS Reset is done by shorting the two designated pins with a flathead screwdriver or removing and reinserting the CMOS battery.

Hi y’all,

Just curious to know how long boot to log in times are for everyone?

Mines not that great, there’s a couple of long stall points that are proving a real headache to identify.

If you have speedy boot times is there anything specific that you did to solve them?

Hi y’all,

Just curious to know how long boot to log in times are for everyone?

Mines not that great, there’s a couple of long stall points that are proving a real headache to identify.

If you have speedy boot times is there anything specific that you did to solve them?
Do you have any Thunderbolt devices connected? Or any Universal Audio (UAD) applications that start on login?

Hey Casey,

First of all I want to thank you for these most excellent instructions. This is my first time building a PC and my first Hackintosh. I probably couldn't have been able to do this project without your help. Kudos! Picture attached.

The build itself was not particularly difficult. Just watched some YouTube videos beforehand. The worst part was trying to install Windows. For whatever reason the Windows 10 Flash Drive that I bought from Amazon refused to boot. I updated the BIOS to F5, tried multiple combinations of BIOS and basically spent an entire day trying to get Windows to install. The next day I tried a Restore disk from another PC I have and that booted fine [I knew the hardware was working :)]. Spent this day downloading Windows 10 from Microsoft and using a program for the Mac to build a flash install drive. That didn't work either, it would boot and get some kind of error and would not install. Finally at the end of the second day, I built a Windows Install disk on DVD and low and behold, the Windows DVD booted and I was able to install Windows.

The next day I followed your excellent instructions and had Mac OS 10.15.6 installed and running in maybe 1.5 hours. So Mac 1, Windows 0.

Have only had two glitches that I remember. The first was that I was rebooting and the system didn't go the the OpenCore picker, it booted directly into Windows. The second was that I was fiddling around with monitor setting on the monitor and the system seemed to crash. Oh, if I turn on "Wake for Network Access" the machine doesn't appear to go to sleep, but does otherwise [still need to test this a bit more].

Not running anything too advanced at the moment. Mail, Photos, Safari, Calendar, Carbon Copy Cloner, Screen Sharing, AirDrop, TV, Music all seem to work without issues. I'm using a wireless Apple keyboard and wireless Trackpad. No speakers but I can connect my Apple AirPods and watch and hear a move in TV or Safari.

Hardware that I choose if anyone is interested:

NZXT 710i case
Intel i9-10900K CPU
DEEPCOOL Castle 360EX AIO cpu cooler
64GB G.Skill Flare X DDR4 2933 memory
(2) Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe SSD's (one for Mac one for Windows)
Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ 5700 XT video card
YOUBO PC Hackintosh WiFi Card BCM94360CD 802.11a/g/n/ac 1750Mbps BT4.0 PCIe Network Adapter [Card itself says it is a Fenvi]
EVGA Supernova 850 T2 power supply
(2) Seagate 750 GB hard disk drives [that I had laying around]
Alienware AW2720HF monitor

I do have a question about Windows if anyone knows the answer. One of the hard drives I use as the clone of the Windows internal SSD [The other for the Mac]. The issue that I have is that in the OpenCore boot screen both drives are label Windows and I would like to somehow rename the cloned drive to "Windows Backup" so that it is distinguishable from the SSD drive. I used Windows "bcdedit" to change the drive identifier, but it still shows up as Windows in OpenCore boot selector. Anyone have any non-lethal suggestions? :).

Sorry for the long post but I'm very excited to be fully up and running with no major problems to speak of and it is all thanks to you and your excellent instructions Casey!

Rand

Attachments

• IMG_4154.JPG
    IMG_4154.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Back