Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Apologies for the quote :) Yes I had it installed on USB EFI to test, and unplugged it after booting. After reverting back to the Old EFI sleep worked as expected.

Let me try the Reset NVRAM

Reset NVRAM worked! Thanks CaseySJ for the solutions!

Sleep works flawlessly now for 8+ hours since reseting NVRAM last night

I guess the main benefit is that it can stay at that boosted state for an extended period of time. That is probably more valuable than the few MHz improvements (4.6GHz consistent over 8 cores is still pretty damn sweet). In any testing, did you notice it able to persist at the boosted clock speed, compared to it throttling itself after a couple of minutes and staying lower when the power limits remain at default? I haven't seen any info about that potentially impacting the NVMe - what have you seen?

And, are those PL1 and PL2 settings mentioned quite easily adjustable in the Vision D BIOS?

I'm not that technical on the BIOS like other experts, but I did not see any specific setting for PL1 and PL2. I did try to update the thermal and power limits to the max values, but only yielded higher temps with no significant performance improvement in CInebenech.

The NVMe impact I was talking about is the Base clock overclock from 100MHz to 102.6MHz, this will bring your max boost on all cores to ~4.7+ GHz.

** OFFICIAL: OpenCore 0.6.0 EFI for Z490 Vision D **
config.plist Changes:
  • Misc --> Boot --> Picker Attributes --> 9
What does the Picker Attributes of '9' do? Was looking for documentation but couldn't find...

What does the Picker Attributes of '9' do? Was looking for documentation but couldn't find...
If the previous value was 1, then no difference will be seen. But changing it to 9 does this:

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.21.37 AM.png

A value of either 1 or 9 shows proper disk icon labels in the OpenCore Picker.

Last edited:
I played around with multiple power settings in the BIOS and all resulted to the same max boost frequency of 4.6 GHz. Looking at the bios setting further, I can see that only 2 cores can boost to 4.8 GHz and the rest can only boost to 4.6 GHz.

I did see that the power going as high as 137 - 140 watts when running Cinebench by just enabling multi core enhancement in BIOS.

When Running Cinebench single thread I can see boost clock hitting 4.8 and 4.7 with multi core work load for a few cores

The only other overclock you can do is BLCK overclock setting it to 102.6 mhm for a slight boost but may be risking your NVMe drive
According to my tests, Vision G haven't any PL1/PL2 limits on default settings... Turbo boost in OCCT always on max clock for 10, 15 minutes, power consumption is stable too. I think, Vision D/G always in "overclocked" mode without power limits.

I'm not that technical on the BIOS like other experts, but I did not see any specific setting for PL1 and PL2. I did try to update the thermal and power limits to the max values, but only yielded higher temps with no significant performance improvement in CInebenech.

The NVMe impact I was talking about is the Base clock overclock from 100MHz to 102.6MHz, this will bring your max boost on all cores to ~4.7+ GHz.

Thanks jbravo. If you're able, I think the correct test here would be using Intel Power Gadget while a benchmark is running. Trying it with the thermal/power limits at both default and max. Observing whether the clock speed is staying in a boosted state more constant when thermals are at max, and seeing if it goes back down at default. Cheers.

According to my tests, Vision G haven't any PL1/PL2 limits on default settings... Turbo boost in OCCT always on max clock for 10, 15 minutes, power consumption is stable too. I think, Vision D/G always in "overclocked" mode without power limits.

Thanks for testing this, Ayvan. I believe the 'K' series (which I believe you own) is able to maintain itself at this constantly boosted state regardless, whereas the non-K only boosts temporarily before coming back down UNLESS we adjust the power levels.

Hi CaseySJ,
Many thanks for your excellent build guide.I have some issues with Safari, photo,user & group.
- Safari unable to load apple.com website when I select Enable JavaScript.
- Can not open photo app.
- User & group error when I click edit icon user.
Does anyone have the same issues? And how to fix it?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 4.19.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 4.19.23 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.00.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.00.00 PM.png
    982.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.11.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.11.32 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 4.19.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 4.19.23 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.00.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.00.00 PM.png
    982.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.11.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.11.32 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
Thanks jbravo. If you're able, I think the correct test here would be using Intel Power Gadget while a benchmark is running. Trying it with the thermal/power limits at both default and max. Observing whether the clock speed is staying in a boosted state more constant when thermals are at max, and seeing if it goes back down at default. Cheers.

Thanks for testing this, Ayvan. I believe the 'K' series (which I believe you own) is able to maintain itself at this constantly boosted state regardless, whereas the non-K only boosts temporarily before coming back down UNLESS we adjust the power levels.

Kept it running for 30 mins and it stayed at 4.6 Ghz

As far as i know, PL1 and PL2 for K and non-K CPUs is different, but all CPUs has PL1 and PL2.

You can read about PL1/PL2 limit here: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-06/intel-comet-lake-s-pl1-pl2-tau-tdp-cpu/

Core i7
10700K: PL1 - 125W, PL2 - 229W, Tau - 56 sec.
10700: PL1 - 65W, PL2 - 224W, Tau - 28 sec.

What is Tau? It's duration of PL2 mode:

mini-03_intel_core_i9-10980hk.png

You can test any CPU in OCCT or any other stress-test and look at power consumption graph. It must be like on this image. But on some motherboards default settings has ho limits!

You can look this video (it was posted early in this thread):
Or read article: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...erboards-with-default-settings-for-your-build

Graph from article:
z490-boost-package-power_all.png

Vision G (and, I think, Vision D too) has the same PL1/PL2 settings like Gigabyte Z490 Master in this video. I mean, NO PL1/PL2 settings, unlimited power :D Or, may be it has PL2 limit, but has no Tau limit, and CPU always in PL2 mode on heavy load.

Conclusion:
10600, 10700 and other "non-K" CPUs on some motherboards (including Vision D/G) could be faster because they work in PL2 mode all the time, not only 28 seconds.

Last edited:
Back