Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I’ve been up and running for the last month or so but have noticed that my network connection (wired) seems to hang at times. This presents through the following symptoms - zoom meetings freeze for 1 to 2 seconds on a regular basis; VNC connections disconnect (with a message that it was the hackintosh side that disconnected) but then automatically reconnects again.

I have the vision g. I have also had issues with my iMessage - perhaps it’s a network issue causing that.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

So I'm patiently waiting for the 10900K to come back in stock so I can upgrade my system using this guide. The only component I'm not set on right now is the GPU. I mainly do music production using Pro Tools but have been starting to get into some basic 4K video editing. Right now I'm leaning in a few different ways

- Is it possible to use the iGPU for now and wait for the "Big Navi" cards to come out later this year and either get the new cards or get the 5700XT at a cheaper price?
- I see the option to use only the iGPU has been removed from the guide because of complications on some systems. What problems come with only using the iGPU?
- If I don't decide to wait, is there much of a difference in terms of stability when comparing the RX 580 vs 5700 vs 5700XT?

I've been up and running for the last month or so but have noticed that my network connection (wired) seems to hang at times. This presents through the following symptoms - zoom meetings freeze for 1 to 2 seconds on a regular basis; VNC connections disconnect (with a message that it was the hackintosh side that disconnected) but then automatically reconnects again.

I have the vision g. I have also had issues with my iMessage - perhaps it’s a network issue causing that.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
I would first recommend checking all Ethernet (a) cables, (b) switches, (c) hubs and MTU settings. Do other computers on the network experience the same glitches during a Zoom conference?

So I'm patiently waiting for the 10900K to come back in stock so I can upgrade my system using this guide. The only component I'm not set on right now is the GPU. I mainly do music production using Pro Tools but have been starting to get into some basic 4K video editing. Right now I'm leaning in a few different ways

- Is it possible to use the iGPU for now and wait for the "Big Navi" cards to come out later this year and either get the new cards or get the 5700XT at a cheaper price?
Certain applications such as (a) Final Cut Pro, (b) iMovie, (c) Firefox, (d) ACDSee Photo Editor for Mac, etc. will crash on launch. Certain web pages will not open in Safari. So use of iGPU is not recommended for daily use.
- I see the option to use only the iGPU has been removed from the guide because of complications on some systems. What problems come with only using the iGPU?
On-board HDMI broke somewhere around Catalina 10.15.5, but has now been fixed with today's release of WhateverGreen 1.4.1. However, the above listed apps still crash on launch.
- If I don't decide to wait, is there much of a difference in terms of stability when comparing the RX 580 vs 5700 vs 5700XT?
Pro Tools is not a GPU intensive application. So a high end GPU will just be idling 99% of the time. I think RX 580 or even RX 590 is a remarkably good choice.

Although you're starting to get into 4K video editing at this time, if this does become a significant activity then a more capable GPU is justified. It might still make sense to start with RX 580 or 590 and upgrade the GPU as your needs evolve. This, after all, is one of the most fundamental value propositions of a Hackintosh: Upgradeability.

Opencore 6.0 update work perfectly.. Thank you CaseySJ!

I would first recommend checking all Ethernet (a) cables, (b) switches, (c) hubs and MTU settings. Do other computers on the network experience the same glitches during a Zoom conference?
@CaseySJ - thanks for the guidance. Looks like it was a bad switch. I swapped it out and things seem more stable now.

new iMac

Attachments

• 截屏2020-08-05 00.02.04.png
    截屏2020-08-05 00.02.04.png
    332.3 KB · Views: 149
Awesome! But still:
  • No WiFi 6
  • No Bluetooth 5 27" has Bluetooth 5 (21.5" does not)
  • No T2 chip (this is good for us) 27" has T2
This means the next update of Catalina (supplemental update) should make it unnecessary to use FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext because 10th Gen Comet Lake-S CPUs and iGPUs will be natively supported! We will need to look into iMac20,1

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 9.05.51 AM.png

Last edited:
Awesome! But still:
  • No WiFi 6
  • No Bluetooth 5
  • No T2 chip (this is good for us)

Looks like it does have Bluetooth 5 and T2 chip? At least the 27", 21.5" looks unchanged. So it would be best to still use the old SMBIOS if SideCar is important to you?

Awesome! But still:
  • No WiFi 6
  • No Bluetooth 5 27" has Bluetooth 5 (21.5" does not)
  • No T2 chip (this is good for us) 27" has T2
This means the next update of Catalina (supplemental update) should make it unnecessary to use FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext because 10th Gen Comet Lake-S CPUs and iGPUs will be natively supported! We will need to look into iMac20,1

View attachment 482856

Likely improvements to the 5700XT graphics drivers as well...

Back