Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Just curious in your opinion how different is the Z490 Vision D vs Z490 AORUS Xreme. Got my eye kind of set on the look of the xtreme. Thoughts, advise?

We're running out of options, so it's down to process of elimination...
  • Do you have another monitor?
  • Have you tried CPUID:
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 8.03.37 AM.png

@CaseySJ Just curious in your opinion how different is the Z490 Vision D vs Z490 AORUS Xreme. Got my eye kind of set on the look of the xtreme. Thoughts, advise?
The Z490 AORUS Xtreme is the most feature packed board in Gigabyte's Z490 lineup. My only concerns about it are:
  • The number of PCIe lanes on Z490 is just as limited as Z390.
  • Intel 10th Gen CPUs are still based on Skylake architecture, and are still 14nm parts.
  • Although the AORUS Xtreme packs the most features, the questions to ask are:
    • Do you need those features or want those features?
    • Do you want to spend top dollar on an architecture that is expected to be completely replaced/updated in about a year?

We're running out of options, so it's down to process of elimination...
  • Do you have another monitor?
  • Have you tried CPUID:
View attachment 482501

I can do that tomorrow 11pm here in Cambodia.
Other option woud be a thunderbolt display Apple. Not really a generic one :)

Because the boot process is stalling shortly after gIOScreenLockState, the problem most likely lies somewhere in the video display chain. Thunderbolt monitors are more complicated and possibly more troublesome than simple DP 1.2/1.4 and HDMI 2.0 monitors. If the Thunderbolt monitor provides DP and HDMI inputs, then we should use those inputs before using the Thunderbolt input.

Other general suggestions:
  • Check that the video cable is certified for DP 1.2/1.4 or HDMI 2.0
  • If the monitor has a Reset option in its on-board menu, select that
  • Consider re-creating the USB install disk

Your last option failed, same result.

Need to change a monitor.
What would you recommand? hunderbolt display Apple may not simplify the process.
Any specificity to take into account?

Once again thanks so much ! 11pm bed time for me, ... :)
Hope I can get some recommendation for my breakdfast early morning. And you later... Good night too !

I've got some very good news. The bidirectional DP<=>USB cable works flawlessly. Might want to add this to the "recommended items" (if you have a USB monitor of course!)
View attachment 482518
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081VK1KHV/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
The build guide already includes a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, albeit for iGPU to drive a DP monitor. In your case, you're using the same kind of cable but connecting your AMD GPU (DisplayPort) to a USB-C monitor, effectively using the cable in reverse.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 11.47.26 AM.png

Back