Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

liquidctl 1.4.0 released ... Now correctly detects Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0.
Everything works ...

Release notes: [liquidctl v1.4.0].
Code:
Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0 5702 Controller (experimental)
├── Hardware name       IT5702-GIGABYTE V1.0.10.0
└── Firmware version                     1.0.10.0
liquidctl 1.4.0 is quite an update!

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 5.14.54 AM.png

The RGB Fusion 2.0 Mini-Guide has been updated accordingly:

Last edited:
To test sleep with iGPU only, you could try the following:
  • Set platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 and add the Boot Argument -wegnoegpu (WEG No External GPU).
  • Alternatively, it may be necessary to:
    • Remove RX 5700 XT
    • Perform CMOS Reset
    • Then try to boot

I just wanted to do
To test sleep with iGPU only, you could try the following:
  • Set platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 and add the Boot Argument -wegnoegpu (WEG No External GPU).
  • Alternatively, it may be necessary to:
    • Remove RX 5700 XT
    • Perform CMOS Reset
    • Then try to boot

@CaseySJ

I have finally tried it, only on Windows though. Maybe the information will help someone. I have removed the GPU (RX 5700 XT) and tested if the sleep problems disappear. I was able to confirm that the sleep problems are independent of the graphics card. With built-in Fenvi and without GPU the problem persists.

The Fenvi support is very friendly, but I doubt that they can help me. Currently I am still in contact with them.

Update to my previous coil whine issue: Swapped out the PSU For a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 and now the machine is a silent as can be (even with the GPU in) :headbang:

Moral of the story: the PSU matters!!

Update to my previous coil whine issue: Swapped out the PSU For a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 11 and now the machine is a silent as can be (even with the GPU in) :headbang:

Moral of the story: the PSU matters!!
Glad to hear it. What is the make/model of the 'whiny' PSU?

@sweetphreak

I also have a Thunderbolt display. Starting with macOS 10.14, 1440p is unfortunately a complete disaster, because the subpixel antialiasing has been removed from the OS since then. All known workarounds create more problems than they solve according to my tests. The fonts become angular or blurry. I didn't update my old iMac above 10.13 because I couldn't work properly with the device.

I can only recommend to everyone that starting with macOS 10.14 a display is used that falls at least halfway into the retina category like a 27" 4K (default is 27" 5K, for 4K macOS has to scale, but the limitations are minimal in my opinion). I strongly advise against making compromises here. I have seen an Ultra Wide Display with 1440p at friends and you can see that Apple has simply defined retina as the "new standard" from 10.14 on.

I have 2 LG 27UL850. The workmanship isn't particularly high quality, but the panel is really great. According to my research, there are no affordable displays on the market that look high quality, such as the Apple Thunderbolt display... My Thunderbolt display is still standing sadly next to the new computer... Because of the resolution issue, I will probably sell the display and not flash the Thunderbolt firmware. To avoid risks, I would probably have tried the Alpine Ridge way first.

Awesome! thanks for the answer! I made up my mind and I will sell it... if I get enough money for it, I´ll get myself a benq 2700U. It seems to be awesome for design, and I´m a designer and video editor, sooooo

Awesome! thanks for the answer! I made up my mind and I will sell it... if I get enough money for it, I´ll get myself a benq 2700U. It seems to be awesome for design, and I´m a designer and video editor, sooooo
I purchased a brand new BenQ PD2700U this past December and returned it within two weeks. My experience may be unusual, but it would be negligent of me not to mention it.

Pros:
  • Good color calibration from the factory.
  • Wide color gamut. Designed for designers.
  • Good feature set (incl. USB hub and ability to switch hub between two computers)
  • Good set of ports.
Cons:
  • Awful speakers (if you care about that) that barely manage a listenable volume. Sound is tinny.
  • Has a lot of difficulty synchronizing the DisplayPort video signal at OpenCore picker menu. If you connect your computer via DisplayPort, the OpenCore Picker menu will struggle and struggle and struggle to appear. It may take 15-30 seconds, by which time the default boot volume will have booted. HDMI video signal synchronizes quickly.
    • This was last December so:
      • Maybe the problem was with OpenCore and might be fixed now??
      • Maybe the problem was in monitor's firmware and has since been resolved??
If you purchase it, just treat it very carefully (and keep all of the packing materials) in case you decide to return it.

Last edited:
Have you tried to re-enable subpixel antialiasing ? May be worth a try.
Code:
defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2
or
Code:
defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 3

Reboot and see if your thunderbolt display looks better with Mojave or Catalina.

Have you tried to re-enable subpixel antialiasing ? May be worth a try.
Code:
defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2
or
Code:
defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 3

Reboot and see if your thunderbolt display looks better with Mojave or Catalina.

It does not restore the original function, but is a workaround. Some people say it gets better, but I hardly see any effect. Also, there are problems with these adjustments in some apps like Microsoft Office apps. I wish there was a solution for this problem. The Thunderbolt display is timelessly beautiful.

Attachments

• EFI Casey.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 60
Back