Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I'm beginning to understand the architecture of the platform a bit
Please update your hardware profile to reflect the system you are using now. It is Designare Vision D ?

Screen Shot 10.jpg

Great! And do you think it will be as good in terms of brightness? It´ll be hard to say good bye to my beautiful Thunderbolt Display. :p
BTW: thanks for all the tips and answers! This forum is the best! Just received my Corsair MP510 NVMe SSD. I will post my updates once I start hackingoshing :)

@sweetphreak

I also have a Thunderbolt display. Starting with macOS 10.14, 1440p is unfortunately a complete disaster, because the subpixel antialiasing has been removed from the OS since then. All known workarounds create more problems than they solve according to my tests. The fonts become angular or blurry. I didn't update my old iMac above 10.13 because I couldn't work properly with the device.

I can only recommend to everyone that starting with macOS 10.14 a display is used that falls at least halfway into the retina category like a 27" 4K (default is 27" 5K, for 4K macOS has to scale, but the limitations are minimal in my opinion). I strongly advise against making compromises here. I have seen an Ultra Wide Display with 1440p at friends and you can see that Apple has simply defined retina as the "new standard" from 10.14 on.

I have 2 LG 27UL850. The workmanship isn't particularly high quality, but the panel is really great. According to my research, there are no affordable displays on the market that look high quality, such as the Apple Thunderbolt display... My Thunderbolt display is still standing sadly next to the new computer... Because of the resolution issue, I will probably sell the display and not flash the Thunderbolt firmware. To avoid risks, I would probably have tried the Alpine Ridge way first.

Does anyone have any success with Z490 (like Gigabyte Designare) and the new quirk feature in Clover 5120?

Thanks in advance!

Quick question on SIP as I just noticed it's disabled in the OpenCore config.

Being that in general I try to live by the rule of keeping SIP enabled unless absolutely necessary, what are the reasons behind having it completely disabled by default?

Is it advised to keep it this way?
What will break if I enabled it (with regard to this guide)?

Quick question on SIP as I just noticed it's disabled in the OpenCore config.

Being that in general I try to live by the rule of keeping SIP enabled unless absolutely necessary, what are the reasons behind having it completely disabled by default?

Is it advised to keep it this way?
What will break if I enabled it (with regard to this guide)?

All info about SPI in OpenCore is in the official OC guide

I think with OC you can completely enable SIP
its different with Clover if you install your kexts in Library/Extensions etc.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any success with Z490 (like Gigabyte Designare) and the new quirk feature in Clover 5120?

Thanks in advance!
A few days ago I tried using Clover 5120 to boot Vision D, but it is still not working (or I haven't found a way)...

A few days ago I tried using Clover 5120 to boot Vision D, but it is still not working (or I haven't found a way)...
Most important thing - using OCQuirks instead of AptioMemoryFix, AFAIK. You can try to configure it like OpenCore configured (and don't forget to remove AptioMemoryFix and other memory .efi). I haven't found configuration to start system on Clover+OCQuirks, but with OCQuirks the boot process goes further than without it.

Hey @CaseySJ I haven’t yet tried the SATA patch I will test it over the weekend.

But I have noticed another peculiarity with the Opencore boot screen and booting windows. If I choose windows using Opencore, the onboard Un-flashed thunderbolt controller doesn’t seem to load.

I was loading windows using a windows usb disk ( windows to go install) plugged into a thunderbolt 3 dock, and if I load windows from the Opencore boot picker, the thunderbolt controller stops. And the system hangs.

But if I plug the same drive into the front panel usb-c port, it loads using Opencore. Very strange.

The thunderbolt controller doesn’t stop on windows load if instead of using Opencore, I hit F12 and just select windows. Not a big deal but just quirky. I might report this to the acidanthera team.

Last edited:
Back