Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

The purpose of using on-board iGPU is only to check if "coil whine" is gone. If so, we can point the finger at the GPU. I don't recommend using iGPU permanently.
Gotcha... it's not *gone* but it's certainly a lot better. Thoughts?

Gotcha... it's not *gone* but it's certainly a lot better. Thoughts?
Okay, now let's check the following:
  • What is the make/model of your keyboard and mouse?
  • What devices are connected to:
    • External USB ports?
    • Internal USB 2.0 headers?
    • Thunderbolt ports?
    • PCIe slots?
      • We know XFX GPU is removed.
      • Is there a Fenvi WiFi/BT card?
      • Any other PCIe cards?
  • Also, through which speakers are you hearing the whine? Or is the whine coming directly from something on the motherboard?
  • Does the whine occur only when you move the mouse (or only when scrolling)?
  • Does it occur while downloading a file (even though mouse/keyboard is not touched during download)?
  • What SATA devices are connected?

Okay, now let's check the following:
  • What is the make/model of your keyboard and mouse?
  • What devices are connected to:
    • External USB ports?
    • Internal USB 2.0 headers?
    • Thunderbolt ports?
    • PCIe slots?
      • We know XFX GPU is removed.
      • Is there a Fenvi WiFi/BT card?
      • Any other PCIe cards?
  • Also, through which speakers are you hearing the whine? Or is the whine coming directly from something on the motherboard?
  • Does the whine occur only when you move the mouse (or only when scrolling)?
  • Does it occur while downloading a file (even though mouse/keyboard is not touched during download)?
  • What SATA devices are connected?

The noise seems to come from both the PSU and the mobo's CPU area.... maybe a little the GPU itself? Nothing out of the speakers thankfully.

It's kinda unpredictable when I will experience it. Sometimes when scrolling (both mouse and with keyboard arrows), sometimes when downloading a big file (although it's not doing it right now), when it's launching a program and I'm not touching anything.

I'd describe it like dial up sounds. Like I'm hearing the CPU do its computations.

Currently Using a Magic Keyboard WIRED and an old Logitech TrackMan scroll ball while waiting for my Fenvi card to show up.

Plugged in are
  • Keyboard and Mouse
  • UAD Apollo via Thunderbolt 3 (doesn't affect noises)
  • Ethernet
  • Monitor. HDMI seems to be the worst... DVI and DisplayPort still there but a touch better? Again, it's kinda finicky. Noise still happens when I unplug all displays both RX 580 and iGPU.
No SATA devices. All NVME here.

I actually dropped my RX 580 back in and it seems to be less than before? So who knows at this point :banghead:

Half tempted to try a different PSU (EVGA 850w G5 currently) since it seems to be emitting (amplifying due to cheap caps/isolation?) noise also....

Hello all! First, thank you for this very impressive build and detailed documentation.

Issue: My computer "hangs" directly between these steps (in red):
  • The N-D-K OpenCore Boot Picker will appear.
    • Choose the option Install MacOS.
    • This option from the boot picker is never selected again.
    • => The Apple logo and progress bar appear, and the bar moves along quite quickly, then slows down at about 50%, then crawls at about 60%, then stops. The screen goes black and hangs. I've tried to wait it out, but it never comes back. I tried this 2x with the exact same result.
  • MacOS installer will take a few moments to load and run. If successful, it will ask for language preference and present a set of options, one of which will be Disk Utility.
Ok, now the details. Unless mentioned I have EXACTLY the same config as the build (by design - Thank you CaseySJ, I'll also up the CPU and vid card once the "hot new stuff" hits the market)!
Here are the hardware differences:
  1. I'm using a 2TB M.2, (instead of 256GB) but the same brand; Sabrent Rocket.
  2. I installed the Hackintosh Wifi card (YOUBO PC Hackintosh WiFi Card BCM94360CD) v. the Fendi, based on the recommendation
  3. Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 cooler v. the 3
  4. Beefy Corsair HX850 PS v. Corsair RM580x
  5. Edit: Corsair Vengeance K65 Keyboard
  6. Edit: ROG SICA mouse
Process differences:
  1. Since I had easy access to the mobo when it arrived, the very first thing I did was flash the Thunderbolt chip. Used the original instructions, and total success (I have yet to see if the BIOS update reverted the chip, but I can hook the Pi back up and see). Worse case is the TB defaulted to "OEM", and I'll reflash again.
  2. I downloaded the latest release of macOS: 061-94403 - 10.15.6 macOS Catalina
  3. I downloaded OCC 2.7.1.0 and Chose "Option 2: Choose standard version of OpenCore 0.5.9"
  4. Here is where the UI of the screenshots was a bit different than the instructions, and I did my best guess at matching up the fields, but there is a completely different layout and field names have changed in OCC v. what is displayed.
  5. Additionally, when I fire up OCC on my MBP, I get the following warning messages: (I'm guessing this is fine, since this isn't the TARGET computer!)
    1. The bootloader looks like it is not installed or your NVRAM isn't native.
    2. This app creates a configuration file for 0.5.9 and higher versions.
To eliminate "hardware issues", I had an old Windows10 install USB lying about. Popped it in and Win10 was installed in about 10 minutes - no probs.

Any thoughts?
  • Should I try a different OS build?
  • Is it possible to get an older version of OCC and follow the screen shots "exactly"
  • Is it possible someone could upload a working EFI folder structure and I could give it a try?
Thanks in advance,
Josh

Half tempted to try a different PSU (EVGA 850w G5 currently) since it seems to be emitting (amplifying due to cheap caps/isolation?) noise also....
Try removing the Trackball.

If that fails to silence the system, then I agree with trying a different PSU (especially if you have one lying around).

Try removing the Trackball.

If that fails to silence the system, then I agree with trying a different PSU (especially if you have one lying around).
Just got my Fenvi card and now doing all bluetooth keyboard/mouse. Still a little bit of squeal. Will monitor over the next day or so. Have a new Be Quiet Pro PSU coming tomorrow to test.

Hello all! First, thank you for this very impressive build and detailed documentation.

Issue: My computer "hangs" directly between these steps (in red):
  • The N-D-K OpenCore Boot Picker will appear.
    • Choose the option Install MacOS.
    • This option from the boot picker is never selected again.
    • => The Apple logo and progress bar appear, and the bar moves along quite quickly, then slows down at about 50%, then crawls at about 60%, then stops. The screen goes black and hangs. I've tried to wait it out, but it never comes back. I tried this 2x with the exact same result.
  • MacOS installer will take a few moments to load and run. If successful, it will ask for language preference and present a set of options, one of which will be Disk Utility.
Hello Josh,

So you flashed the on-board Thunderbolt firmware right away? Impressive! That certainly gets my attention. ;) Have you also switched your Thunderbolt SSDT? Screenshots of the following will help:
  • Screenshot of OC/ACPI folder
  • Open config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and post screenshot of the ACPI page
When you say "N-D-K OpenCore" do you mean the standard 0.5.9 OpenCore? The N-D-K version stops at 0.5.8 and should not be used (although technically there's nothing wrong with it, just that it's outdated).
Ok, now the details. Unless mentioned I have EXACTLY the same config as the build (by design - Thank you @CaseySJ, I'll also up the CPU and vid card once the "hot new stuff" hits the market)!
Here are the hardware differences:
  1. I'm using a 2TB M.2, (instead of 256GB) but the same brand; Sabrent Rocket.
  2. I installed the Hackintosh Wifi card (YOUBO PC Hackintosh WiFi Card BCM94360CD) v. the Fendi, based on the recommendation
  3. Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 cooler v. the 3
  4. Beefy Corsair HX850 PS v. Corsair RM580x
  5. Edit: Corsair Vengeance K65 Keyboard
  6. Edit: ROG SICA mouse
  • Which AMD GPU are you using? I'm using a really old MSI RX 580 Armor that may or may not be available any longer.
  • What is the make/model of your monitor? Is it a TV?
  • Are you connecting via HDMI or DisplayPort?
Process differences:
  1. Since I had easy access to the mobo when it arrived, the very first thing I did was flash the Thunderbolt chip. Used the original instructions, and total success (I have yet to see if the BIOS update reverted the chip, but I can hook the Pi back up and see). Worse case is the TB defaulted to "OEM", and I'll reflash again.
  2. I downloaded the latest release of macOS: 061-94403 - 10.15.6 macOS Catalina
  3. I downloaded OCC 2.7.1.0 and Chose "Option 2: Choose standard version of OpenCore 0.5.9"
  4. Here is where the UI of the screenshots was a bit different than the instructions, and I did my best guess at matching up the fields, but there is a completely different layout and field names have changed in OCC v. what is displayed.
  5. Additionally, when I fire up OCC on my MBP, I get the following warning messages: (I'm guessing this is fine, since this isn't the TARGET computer!)
    1. The bootloader looks like it is not installed or your NVRAM isn't native.
    2. This app creates a configuration file for 0.5.9 and higher versions.
Regarding Step 4 of the installation procedure (where we modify config.plist) please note that the first screenshot is of Clover Configurator and the next two are of OpenCore Configurator. The two OpenCore Configurator screens still look the same in OCC 2.7.1.0. Although Clover Configurator is actually not needed because OpenCore Configurator has the same pop-menu to select SMBIOS. (I'll revise that section soon.)

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 11.48.39 AM.png

To eliminate "hardware issues", I had an old Windows10 install USB lying about. Popped it in and Win10 was installed in about 10 minutes - no probs.

Any thoughts?
  • Should I try a different OS build?
  • Is it possible to get an older version of OCC and follow the screen shots "exactly"
  • Is it possible someone could upload a working EFI folder structure and I could give it a try?
Thanks in advance,
Josh
I'll wait for your reply and we can go from there.

The LG 27UL500 seems like a good choice. It's a 4K monitor so you'll experience the glory of Retina display. In my opinion (since I use both 27" 1440p and 27" 4K monitors almost daily) a 4K monitor is so much better to look at than 1440p. If you require accurate color, simply look for a monitor that meets those requirements.

Apple Thunderbolt Display is a good monitor, but it's 6 or 7 years old. Time to move on... ;)
Great! And do you think it will be as good in terms of brightness? It´ll be hard to say good bye to my beautiful Thunderbolt Display. :p
BTW: thanks for all the tips and answers! This forum is the best! Just received my Corsair MP510 NVMe SSD. I will post my updates once I start hackingoshing :)

Firstly, I'm struggling a little bit with how to get the really cool "quoted" items in line :), but this should answer the questions.
ACPI page:
1596049701363.png

Yes, "standard open Core", per the settings:
1596049898855.png

I used the file "V2-OC-0.5.9-STD-Z490-VISION-D.zip" as the basis for the EFI.

My video card is an MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8G OC: (I wanted to be just like you - lulz)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZQMMHJ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Monitor is an older (2013) Asus VS278Q-P connected via HDMI via the bottom-most port on the Radeon card.

I'm thinking to myself "NO WAY - THE SCREEN WAS WAY DIFFERENT... ?" And it IS DIFFERENT
1596050636890.png

BECAUSE I WAS EDITING THE WRONG SCREEN :banghead:

I'll, um... humbly go back to the drawing board ;)

Thank you for your assistance. I'll be sure to post up again once I have my duck in the preverbial row.

Regarding the Pi stuff... that was super simple. I've played around with Arduino and custom circuits before, so that was nearly plug-n-play! I haven't made any other thunderbolt changes yet... I was indeed curious to see if the BIOS update undid the flash. I'll be sure to let everyone know, just much easier to work like this... right out of the box!
1596051098230.png
1596051323022.png

Hello Josh,

So you flashed the on-board Thunderbolt firmware right away? Impressive! That certainly gets my attention. ;) Have you also switched your Thunderbolt SSDT? Screenshots of the following will help:
  • Screenshot of OC/ACPI folder
  • Open config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and post screenshot of the ACPI page
When you say "N-D-K OpenCore" do you mean the standard 0.5.9 OpenCore? The N-D-K version stops at 0.5.8 and should not be used (although technically there's nothing wrong with it, just that it's outdated).

• Which AMD GPU are you using? I'm using a really old MSI RX 580 Armor that may or may not be available any longer.
  • What is the make/model of your monitor? Is it a TV?
  • Are you connecting via HDMI or DisplayPort?

Regarding Step 4 of the installation procedure (where we modify config.plist) please note that the first screenshot is of Clover Configurator and the next two are of OpenCore Configurator. The two OpenCore Configurator screens still look the same in OCC 2.7.1.0. Although Clover Configurator is actually not needed because OpenCore Configurator has the same pop-menu to select SMBIOS. (I'll revise that section soon.)

View attachment 482204

I'll wait for your reply and we can go from there.

Great! and do you think it will be as good in terms of brightness? It´ll be hard to say good bye to my beautiful Thunderbolt Display. :p
Btw: thanks for all the tips and answers! This forum is the best! Just received my Corsair mp510 nvme ssd. I will post my updates once I start hackingoshing :)
If the Apple Thunderbolt Display works well and you're really happy with it, then don't pay attention to my comment about moving on! ;) It should work with a GC-Alpine Ridge card such as this one (used on Amazon for $50):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722SV69N/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
You could always return it if it doesn't meet your needs.

Back