Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ
Thanks again for your continuous support!

So I pulled the trigger and bought Fenvi T919 from official Amazon FenviUS store. It does work, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, no power issues. But the Wi-Fi speed is very slow! It's 300 Mbps max as Network Utility shows. I have other Wi-Fi cards which show speed up to 1Gbit with the same router. Do you know what could be the case? Thank you!
Depending on the number of walls and other obstructions (especially metallic obstructions) the WiFi speed can vary significantly. Also note that the BCM 94360 chipset is now quite old. The on-board Intel AX201, for example, performs quite a bit better (in Windows). I typically get 170 Mbps on the Fenvi at the current location of the Vision D. Moving the Vision D one room across improves the speed to 300+ Mbps.

** Reminder: Profanity is a violation of the Rules **
(Even if it's part of a common phrase)

Excerpt from Rules:

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 9.34.45 AM.png

I guess my workaround will be to sell the display and buy a new one... any experience with LG 27UL500? Think that display can rival the TB display?
I have an LG 27UL650 for ~1 year, and can recommend it. 27UL500, AFAIK, has another IPS-panel and may have some differences, but, according to reviews, this display is good too.
After 2560x1440 display I was really impressed with the 4K monitor.

Yes, on my Vision G I always turn off Serial Port in BIOS, you can add recommendation to turn it off to notes for Vision G.

Yes, I think this is a good idea too @CaseySJ. There is no two ways about it - setting the Serial Port to disabled on latest F6 BIOS firmware for Vision G has fixed the persistent audio dropouts and RME driver bugs that I was experiencing. I enabled it again to test and can confirm this setting is crucial to running a stable audio production rig.

Logic Pro X projects are now running great even at 96kHz/24bit with tons of soft synths, plugins and large track counts. I couldn't be happier!

Ok last issue I'm trying to sort out...

I'm getting grinding noises (coil whine?) from the CPU and PSU when doing trivial things in MacOS. Almost sounds like a hard drive. Silly stuff like scrolling, downloading files, etc. Anybody with similar issues?

From googling, many Hackintosh users have experienced this with builds despite those same builds being silent in Windows. Guessing this is how MacOS handles power management/speed stepping? For some disabling EIST and similar functions in the BIOS fixes it, but for me still there. Haven't touched my OpenCore config tho... (Side note, some say swapping native power for NullCPUPowerManagement.kext fixes it at the cost of killing power management!!)

My build is for my recording studio, so obviously trying to sort out any auditory demons :lol:

I'm getting grinding noises (coil whine?) from the CPU and PSU when doing trivial things in MacOS. Almost sounds like a hard drive. Silly stuff like scrolling, downloading files, etc. Anybody with similar issues?

From googling, many Hackintosh users have experienced this with builds despite those same builds being silent in Windows. Guessing this is how MacOS handles power management/speed stepping? For some disabling EIST and similar functions in the BIOS fixes it, but for me still there. Haven't touched my OpenCore config tho... (Side note, some say swapping native power for NullCPUPowerManagement.kext fixes it at the cost of killing power management!!)

My build is for my recording studio, so obviously trying to sort out any auditory demons :lol:
Some comments:
  • Because you've already changed Load Line Calibration, at least CPU temps are normal and fans are not hyperventilating
  • So now you're hearing sounds that were previously masked by fan noise...which is a good thing, but we need to fix those things
  • In many cases, the GPU ends up being the culprit. So some things to try:
    • If using HDMI, try DP
    • If using DP, try HDMI
    • Try enabling CSM Support in BIOS
    • Try reducing screen refresh rate
  • If none of these helps, try removing the XFX RX 580 and using iGPU with either:
    • USB-C to DP cable (or USB-C to HDMI cable)
    • HDMI-to-HDMI cable
      • It will be necessary to use the debug versions of Lilu/WhateverGreen to enable on-board HDMI port
    • Platform ID will have to be set to 0x3E9B0007
      • This is already done in the file config-Intel-iGPU.plist located inside the OpenCore ZIP file at the bottom of Post 1.
If you need help setting this up, just ask.

I have observed similar problems, but I believe that it also happens under Windows. I have not analysed the problem more deeply yet.

Some comments:
  • Because you've already changed Load Line Calibration, at least CPU temps are normal and fans are not hyperventilating
  • So now you're hearing sounds that were previously masked by fan noise...which is a good thing, but we need to fix those things
  • In many cases, the GPU ends up being the culprit. So some things to try:
    • If using HDMI, try DP
    • If using DP, try HDMI
    • Try enabling CSM Support in BIOS
    • Try reducing screen refresh rate
  • If none of these helps, try removing the XFX RX 580 and using iGPU with either:
    • USB-C to DP cable (or USB-C to HDMI cable)
    • HDMI-to-HDMI cable
      • It will be necessary to use the debug versions of Lilu/WhateverGreen to enable on-board HDMI port
    • Platform ID will have to be set to 0x3E9B0007
      • This is already done in the file config-Intel-iGPU.plist located inside the OpenCore ZIP file at the bottom of Post 1.
If you need help setting this up, just ask.
Pulling the GPU was the next thing to try.... did that, and now I have nothing on screen with either a USB-C or Displayport adaptor. Maybe I should have swapped my config file for the iGPU one before trying? :crazy:

Any instructions for downloading/compiling the beta Lilu? Found it. Boots, but I have to use a USB-C to HDMI adaptor. Also getting apps not launching that involve OpenGL and such

Last edited:
Pulling the GPU was the next thing to try.... did that, and now I have nothing on screen with either a USB-C or Displayport adaptor. Maybe I should have swapped my config file for the iGPU one before trying? :crazy:

Any instructions for downloading/compiling the beta Lilu? Found it. Boots, but I have to use a USB-C to HDMI adaptor. Also getting apps not launching that involve OpenGL and such
The purpose of using on-board iGPU is only to check if "coil whine" is gone. If so, we can point the finger at the GPU. I don't recommend using iGPU permanently.

Back