Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Could you please check again where this setting can be found and what it is called? I was just about to check if it is also available in the Vision D BIOS but can't find it. I read somewhere in old threads that disabling the serial port can also have an effect on my sleep problem. I'm not giving up :)

btw: Fenvi didn't reply yet.
Vision D thankfully does not have a Serial Port setting!

Thank you to everyone who helped with this issue - and especially to CaseySJ for putting this guide together!

In summary, if any of you are running external RME (and possibly any manufacturer although untested!) audio interfaces with the Vision G you need to make sure to disable Serial Port in BIOS or you will get intermittent audio glitches and dropouts for whatever reason.

I couldn't be happier with this system now its performing beautifully.

Hey @CaseySJ, one thing I don't know if mentioned in your guide is how to enable Sata hotplug in MacOS? I have a case that has a hot swap drive bay... I've enabled hot swap functionality in the Vision D bios but upon plugging in the drive (Samsung EVO 850) into the Sata port, it doesn't load. I have to restart for it to load. Obviously this isn't that big a deal as I could just use a SATA-USB enclosure/controller, but just curious on if you happen to know how to do Sata Hotplug. IIRC, it used to be a patch for AppleAHCIPort.kext that worked.

Good to know!

MacDrive is a Windows application that can read and write macOS formatted disks. So apparently it's causing some significant issues which I would expect the developers to fix soon enough. Meanwhile I'll add a note to Troubleshooting / FAQ.
This is what I received from OWC regarding MacDrive.

Thanks for reaching back out to us here at OWC Software support regarding the issues you have been encountering.
Since we last emailed, we too have narrowed down this bug to having been introduced in the 2004 update to windows and are in the process of patching this in Macdrive Pro. We should have this released shortly, but if you would like, I can send you the current beta version of the patch and verify that it resolves any crashing you are experiencing. We have yet to find any issues with it and it will likely be what we release soon. Please let me know if you are interested.

I will let you know how the Beta works out.

Hello @sweetphreak,

We tried in vain to make the Apple Thunderbolt Display work on the Z390 Desginare even with a TB3 dock using Alpine Ridge. Unfortunately, the only way to use that display on Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision D is as follows:
  • Option 1: Flash the motherboard Thunderbolt firmware (risks are involved)
  • Option 2: Use a GC-Alpine Ridge card. I believe it will work without firmware flashing.
Also note that the Apple Thunderbolt Display may or may not work 100% reliably. Have you seen @iRamon's wonderful post here:
Thanks so much for the quick answer! I´m not risking my new motherboard with option 1... what is GC-Alpine ridge? is it a different card than the one already integrated in the motherboard?
I guess my workaround will be to sell the display and buy a new one... any experience with LG 27UL500? Think that display can rival the TB display?

Hey @CaseySJ, one thing I don't know if mentioned in your guide is how to enable Sata hotplug in MacOS? I have a case that has a hot swap drive bay... I've enabled hot swap functionality in the Vision D bios but upon plugging in the drive (Samsung EVO 850) into the Sata port, it doesn't load. I have to restart for it to load. Obviously this isn't that big a deal as I could just use a SATA-USB enclosure/controller, but just curious on if you happen to know how to do Sata Hotplug. IIRC, it used to be a patch for AppleAHCIPort.kext that worked.
In Post #1 of the Z390 Designare build guide we have this contributed tip:
Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 2.28.43 PM.png

As you can see, this involves a change to BIOS and then a change to config.plist. In OpenCore Configurator we can try the following:
Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 2.35.14 PM.png

Again, remember to modify BIOS as well. And please let us know if this works.

Thanks so much for the quick answer! I´m not risking my new motherboard with option 1... what is GC-Alpine ridge? is it a different card than the one already integrated in the motherboard?
I guess my workaround will be to sell the display and buy a new one... any experience with LG 27UL500? Think that display can rival the TB display?
The LG 27UL500 seems like a good choice. It's a 4K monitor so you'll experience the glory of Retina display. In my opinion (since I use both 27" 1440p and 27" 4K monitors almost daily) a 4K monitor is so much better to look at than 1440p. If you require accurate color, simply look for a monitor that meets those requirements.

Apple Thunderbolt Display is a good monitor, but it's 6 or 7 years old. Time to move on... ;)

Just got my Vision D/i9 10900k Hackintosh up and running!! Overall this install was VERY smooth following this guide. My Apollo system works great right out of the gate too!

Only issue... my fans seem to rev up and down a lot. CPU temps hanging out like 43C when idle. Maybe I just did a bad job at seating the cooler? hehe

UPDATE: I switched Load Line Calibration from auto to Standard and now the temps are a little more reasonable (low-mid 30s on a hot day). I read that a lot of people feel Gigabyte's "auto" VCore is too much... especially with a hot chip like the 10900k

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
Thanks again for your continuous support!

So I pulled the trigger and bought Fenvi T919 from official Amazon FenviUS store. It does work, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, no power issues. But the Wi-Fi speed is very slow! It's 300 Mbps max as Network Utility shows. I have other Wi-Fi cards which show speed up to 1Gbit with the same router. Do you know what could be the case? Thank you!

Just got my Vision D/i9 10900k Hackintosh up and running!! Overall this install was VERY smooth following this guide. My Apollo system works great right out of the gate too!

Only issue... my fans seem to rev up and down a lot. CPU temps hanging out like 43C when idle. Maybe I just did a bad job at seating the cooler? hehe

UPDATE: I switched Load Line Calibration from auto to Standard and now the temps are a little more reasonable (low-mid 30s on a hot day). I read that a lot of people feel Gigabyte's "auto" VCore is too much... especially with a hot chip like the 10900k
Good to know -- I'll add this to Troubleshooting / FAQ.

Back