Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

EXCELLENT - that worked. I had been getting file system errors when I tried this before...I finally figured out that I can't include a trailing slash on the boot drive mount command.

One other note -- when booting into Recovery mode, sudo isn't available. Commands ran without it since you're already basically running as root in recovery mode.

I'm also going to do some more experimentation later to figure out why I can't (couldn't??) boot into single user mode. I see from the config files that the DisableSingleUser flag is set to FALSE, so I should be able to. But I had to reboot three times to get Recovery mode to launch again. Finally figured out that I had to cursor back and forth in the OpenCore boot loader to move off and then back onto my planned boot drive, THEN hold down Command-R, THEN click on the boot drive icon with the pointer while keeping those keys held down all the way through boot. I wasn't doing the same for single user...I think I was hitting return to boot the drive and then holding down Command-S...
Glad to hear it. And yes you're right about not needing sudo when booted into Recovery mode!

Instead of pressing CMD-R for Recovery, just press spacebar at OpenCore Picker and graphically select the Recovery volume.

@hughythomas,

Very good explanation. So it's not a USB port stability problem after all, hence use of Inateck or dedicated USB 2 powered hubs had no effect. Seems more like a device initialization or port initialization issue.

If the system was working prior to firmware update, let me ask this:
  • When firmware is flashed, all BIOS parameters are reset to factory defaults.
  • Before you updated the firmware, do you remember saving the BIOS parameters to a file? This is done from Save and Exit. We can save BIOS parameters to a "profile" and also to EFI partition of a USB flash drive.
  • If not, maybe the solution is to recall exactly how BIOS was configured prior to the update.
  • I know we played with PCIe Bifurcation Support, but this has no effect now. Actually, I contacted Gigabyte about this feature last week, and the purpose of this is for a very unusual use case:
    • Apparently there are PCIe riser cables that can plug into Slot 1 (x16 slot) and provide up to 3 outboard PCIe slots on the other end of the cable.
    • PCIe Bifurcation Support is used to assign the number of PCIe lanes to these outboard slots.
  • What other BIOS parameters do you recall changing?

Glad to hear it. And yes you're right about not needing sudo when booted into Recovery mode!

Instead of pressing CMD-R for Recovery, just press spacebar at OpenCore Picker and graphically select the Recovery volume.

Excellent, good to know. Also confirmed by ability to boot into single-user mode with Command-S using my sequence of events. Spacebar is MUCH easier. I think I tried that out when I was building this rig, but forgot about it. :)

Hey folks, what is the best way to monitor your hardware in this build? HWMonitor? Intel Power Gadget? Something else?

Context: I'm getting some occasional crashes which are proving tricky to isolate, even after reading through the reports in the Console. I suspect Adobe CC, but it could be something else. Some screens attached.

Attachments

• 1595907558795.png
    1595907558795.png
    450.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 1595907653982.png
    1595907653982.png
    695.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 1595907805197.png
    1595907805197.png
    785.1 KB · Views: 59
Hey folks, what is the best way to monitor your hardware in this build? HWMonitor? Intel Power Gadget? Something else?

Context: I'm getting some occasional crashes which are proving tricky to isolate, even after reading through the reports in the Console. I suspect Adobe CC, but it could be something else. Some screens attached.
It seems Process of Elimination should be applied. For example, if you don't use Adobe CC, do you encounter any crashes?

When an applications crashes, macOS puts up a crash dialog that shows the stack trace and offers an option to "Report to Apple". Do you see such a dialog?

Hi! First of all thanks for putting up this guide and all the info!
I just finished first part of my build (specs at the bottom) and I'm planning on turning it into a dual boot Hackintosh once I buy the GPU (I read the guide and I know IGPU won't work at present time).
I'm wandering if it may be possible to connect my Thunderbolt Display through Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock with a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter without flashing the Thunderbolt chipset? I've been searching through the forums, and I got more confused than before. Computers are very expensive in my country and I wouldn't stand the risk of flashing the card and ruining it. Do you guys think it will work? My other option is to sell the monitor and buy an LG 27UL500 and forget about the problem but I'm not sure if that monitor will be as good as my tb display.
Thanks!

MoBo: Z490 Vision D
CPU: Intel i7 -0700K
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
RAM: 32gb (2x16) 3200MHz Patriot Steel Viper
PSU: Thermaltake Smart M 650W 80+ bronze semi-modular

Waiting for shipping:
SSD: NVMe MP510 Corsair

Previously owned:
HDD: 2x320gb I had from a 14 year old computer
Case: Thermaltake Soprano DX
Display: Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display
Thunderbolt Dock: Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock

Things I'll buy next:
GPU: Radeon RX 580 8gb
CASE: NZXT h510

@hughythomas,

Very good explanation. So it's not a USB port stability problem after all, hence use of Inateck or dedicated USB 2 powered hubs had no effect. Seems more like a device initialization or port initialization issue.

If the system was working prior to firmware update, let me ask this:
  • When firmware is flashed, all BIOS parameters are reset to factory defaults.
  • Before you updated the firmware, do you remember saving the BIOS parameters to a file? This is done from Save and Exit. We can save BIOS parameters to a "profile" and also to EFI partition of a USB flash drive.
  • If not, maybe the solution is to recall exactly how BIOS was configured prior to the update.
  • I know we played with PCIe Bifurcation Support, but this has no effect now. Actually, I contacted Gigabyte about this feature last week, and the purpose of this is for a very unusual use case:
    • Apparently there are PCIe riser cables that can plug into Slot 1 (x16 slot) and provide up to 3 outboard PCIe slots on the other end of the cable.
    • PCIe Bifurcation Support is used to assign the number of PCIe lanes to these outboard slots.
  • What other BIOS parameters do you recall changing?

OMG! I've fixed it!!!!!

I was playing around in BIOS doing things one by one and rebooting to test and I just changed two settings:

• Internal Graphics -> 'Enabled' (not auto) just as Casey suggests
  • Serial Port -> 'Disabled' (I think its under 'IO Ports' tab IIRC)
I've just booted up and tried my interface and its lightning fast now! I'll see if my glitches have gone!

FINGERS CROSSED PEOPLE!!!

EDIT: Yup, its working beautifully - no audio drop outs in Logic and I can finally resume my professional work! Wth is this serial port and why does it need to be disabled lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! First of all thanks for putting up this guide and all the info!
I just finished first part of my build (specs at the bottom) and I'm planning on turning it into a dual boot Hackintosh once I buy the GPU (I read the guide and I know IGPU won't work at present time).
I'm wandering if it may be possible to connect my Thunderbolt Display through Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock with a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter without flashing the Thunderbolt chipset? I've been searching through the forums, and I got more confused than before. Computers are very expensive in my country and I wouldn't stand the risk of flashing the card and ruining it. Do you guys think it will work? My other option is to sell the monitor and buy an LG 27UL500 and forget about the problem but I'm not sure if that monitor will be as good as my tb display.
Thanks!
Hello @sweetphreak,

We tried in vain to make the Apple Thunderbolt Display work on the Z390 Desginare even with a TB3 dock using Alpine Ridge. Unfortunately, the only way to use that display on Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision D is as follows:
  • Option 1: Flash the motherboard Thunderbolt firmware (risks are involved)
  • Option 2: Use a GC-Alpine Ridge card. I believe it will work without firmware flashing.
Also note that the Apple Thunderbolt Display may or may not work 100% reliably. Have you seen @iRamon's wonderful post here:

The “tcpkeepalive” parameter is also mentioned in the Consolidated List of Sleep Aids:
@CaseySJ thanks! overlooked that section!

OMG! I've fixed it!!!!!

I was playing around in BIOS doing things one by one and rebooting to test and I just changed two settings:

• Internal Graphics -> 'Enabled' (not auto) just as Casey suggests
  • Serial Port -> 'Disabled' (I think its under 'IO Ports' tab IIRC)
I've just booted up and tried my interface and its lightning fast now! I'll see if my glitches have gone!

FINGERS CROSSED PEOPLE!!!

EDIT: Yup, its working beautifully - no audio drop outs in Logic and I can finally resume my professional work! Wth is this serial port and why does it need to be disabled lol

Could you please check again where this setting can be found and what it is called? I was just about to check if it is also available in the Vision D BIOS but can't find it. I read somewhere in old threads that disabling the serial port can also have an effect on my sleep problem. I'm not giving up :)

btw: Fenvi didn't reply yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back