Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

If you've set your system language to be anything other than US-En, it may be necessary to find the correct plist file for your particular localization.

Thanks.

Please could you elaborate on that? I used your EFI from ‘V2-OC-0.5.9-STD-Z490-VISION-D.zip’

What exactly do I need to check?

Last edited:
@phjo,

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum! And you're right -- the BIOS was updated on July 20 and is simply F5.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 1.40.18 PM.png

Thanks.

Please could you elaborate on that? I used your EFI from ‘V2-OC-0.5.9-STD-Z490-VISION-D.zip’

What exactly do I need to check?
I thought someone in this thread had posted a solution, but so far I've found only the posts below that might be addressing the problem of "Unknown" CPU. Anyway, I'll search the thread again soon.
That did it for me! I ran the script, but it needed a reboot before showing up (that's no problem of course, but another post here says it doesn't require a reboot, which isn't always the case I guess).

Just wondering why changing the CPU type helped?
And is it also possible to change the 3,6 Ghz into 5? Because I'm overclocked to 5 Ghz and it would be fun if it showed that.

PS: fyi; I'm having the Z390 build, not the Z490, I don't want to pollute this topic. Perhaps @CaseySJ can create a 'spoiler' in his Z390 start-post forwarding to this. I guess a lot of people want to do these kinds of tweaks.

That did it for me! I ran the script, but it needed a reboot before showing up (that's no problem of course, but another post here says it doesn't require a reboot, which isn't always the case I guess).

Just wondering why changing the CPU type helped?
And is it also possible to change the 3,6 Ghz into 5? Because I'm overclocked to 5 Ghz and it would be fun if it showed that.

PS: fyi; I'm having the Z390 build, not the Z490, I don't want to pollute this topic. Perhaps @CaseySJ can create a 'spoiler' in his Z390 start-post forwarding to this. I guess a lot of people want to do these kinds of tweaks.
@joostiphone,

This issue got sidetracked when it was initially raised so let's see if we can clarify the problem and the solution. Is the following correct?
  • You were trying to use cpu_name to change the name of your processor in About this Mac.
  • But the CPU name was stuck at Unknown.
  • Then you changes CPU Type in Clover to 0x0705 and also re-ran cpu_name, then rebooted.
  • Now you can see the modified CPU name in About this Mac?

I thought someone in this thread had posted a solution, but so far I've found only the posts below that might be addressing the problem of "Unknown" CPU. Anyway, I'll search the thread again soon.

Sorry I'm confused now!

My About This Mac just says 'Processor 3.7 GHz' not 'Unknown' so which method should I use to change, the script, which doesn't work for me or IORegistryExplorer or Clover Configurator?

Last edited:
Sorry I'm confused now!

My About This Mac just says 'Processor 3.7 GHz' not 'Unknown' so which method should I use to change, the script, which doesn't work for me or IORegistryExplorer or Clover Configurator?
If you open a Terminal window and type...
Bash:
cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/
... you will see a number of lproj files like this:
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 4.15.51 PM.png

Now if you type...
Bash:
defaults read -g AppleLocale | cut -c 1-2
... you will see your current locale, which is en in my case. So the file en.lproj gets modified by the cpu_name script. If your locale is something other than en, the script may not work properly.

However, just run cpu_name.sh and press N to quit. What Locale is shown? It may be necessary to modify the script by hardcoding a different locale.

@jimbojingle,

Attached is an experimental version of cpu_name called cpu_name_v2.sh. I've modified the script to handle some special cases, but I cannot test the changes because my system is running en_US, which the original script is designed to handle.

To test this on on-US locales, please do the following:
  • Download and unzip the file.
  • Remove the quarantine flag and add file-execute permission by running Terminal and typing:
Bash:
sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine cpu_name_v2.sh
chmod +x cpu_name_v2.sh
  • Then run the script, but press N to not make any changes. What Locale do you see?

Attachments

• cpu_name_v2.sh.zip
    978 bytes · Views: 91
@CaseySJ I noticed in your Z390 Designare build, ALC-16 was used as the Audio layout but ALC-11 for this Z490 Vison D build - is there a reason why?

On my H510 Case, the front panel audio jack - the MIC portion does not seem to be detected in Mac OS, only audio works - but on the Windows side both MIC and audio work normally.

Was thinking of trying out to layout 16 as it uses the same 1220-VB codec as the Z390 Designare.

Any thoughts?

*using a standard Apple EarPod as the headphone btw..

Back