Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Yes it's possible to use an ordinary HDD if you're okay with the slower speed.

Sure, this is also perfectly viable. Both partitions and APFS volumes can be used. APFS volumes are described in Tech Talk in Post 1.

I would recommend not to store important backups on the same physical disc though ... If you have another backup (like Time Machine) and this is just a safety measure for problems with macOS updates etc., it might be ok.

Last edited:
Just to close the loop on the issue with Windows 10 and MacOS not waking up from sleep, because of the Fenvi T919 card.

My spec: i7-10700k, Radeon 5700 XT Gigabyte OC, Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Bios F5a).

Replacing this card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WGS46PY/ with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082X8MBMD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 solved the issue for me and @dranose (if I understood it correctly)

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WGS46PY/ doesn't work. AFAIK many folks with the same hardware spec had no issues with this card.

Thanks @CaseySJ for the great tutorial and config.

My spec: ASUS Z490 Rog Maximus XII Hero, i7-10700K, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580

I can confirm Fenvi T919 was preventing me to wake up my PC from USB Keyboard. Not only macOS, also Windows. I bought the same card than you (YOUBO one) and will check if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the tip!

Hmm I think I may be hitting an issue with the EFIClone script. It appears to think that Source and Destination EFI Partitions are the same.

On reflection, maybe it's okay that I have just one EFI volume, as long as a working EFI is backed up somewhere, like a USB stick? I just rebooted my hackintosh and at the boot screen was presented happily with both Catalina and Catalina Backup as options. Catalina Backup is running great (I'm typing this from that version right now).

@CaseySJ have I got this right, or do you think I need to persist in getting my EFI backed up using EFIClone and working through that Source/Destination EFI issue?

On reflection, maybe it's okay that I have just one EFI volume, as long as a working EFI is backed up somewhere, like a USB stick? I just rebooted my hackintosh and at the boot screen was presented happily with both Catalina and Catalina Backup as options. Catalina Backup is running great (I'm typing this from that version right now).

@CaseySJ have I got this right, or do you think I need to persist in getting my EFI backed up using EFIClone and working through that Source/Destination EFI issue?
The EFIClone script faced some significant issues when multiple partitions were present. @byteminer, who forked the original EFIClone script on GitHub, made a number of improvements, including fixing known issues with partitions.

Do you have his latest EFIClone script (located here)?

Always run the script with TEST_SWITCH = "Y" (located near the top of the script) and examine the output log (which I believe you're doing already).

I don't seem to be having any success in changing 'About This Mac' to show the correct CPU Name. My build is just showing 'Processor 3.7 GHz' and I have a Core i9-10900K.

I have tried the script 'cpu_name.sh.zip' to set the name to "10-Core Intel Core i9-10900K" but it doesn't seem to work.
I am just doing fine tweaking to an otherwise fully functional system.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

I don't have any helpful input with regard to your question, but I do have to ask: why update to a newer BIOS if your system was previously stable? It seems you went through a thorough headache in the first place to reach a fully-functioning audio setup without frequent glitches. Just don't understand the reasoning here and wondering what benefits you were hoping to achieve. TIA

Lol, in hindsight I wish I hadn't updated!

I've just done the update to 10.15.6 without hiccup and the USB audio problem still remains.

I'm perplexed as to how it was working so good before on this BIOS version F6a. I've run a stablity test in win 10 for about 7 hours yesterday to make sure it isn't my 5ghz overclock on the 10900k that is causing the problem and the system didn't skip a beat.

@CaseySJ thank you for pointing me in the direction of the USB guide - so do you reckon the purchase of a seperate powered USB 2.0 hub will likely fix the problem? I guess I could buy a PCI-E card perhaps instead and that might keep the desk a little tidier :)

@CaseySJ thank you for pointing me in the direction of the USB guide - so do you reckon the purchase of a seperate powered USB 2.0 hub will likely fix the problem? I guess I could buy a PCI-E card perhaps instead and that might keep the desk a little tidier :)
While I cannot guarantee that either a powered USB 2.0 hub or PCIe card will solve the problem, I can say that all who previously reported USB 2.0 device instability have since reported success.

I don't seem to be having any success in changing 'About This Mac' to show the correct CPU Name. My build is just showing 'Processor 3.7 GHz' and I have a Core i9-10900K.

I have tried the script 'cpu_name.sh.zip' to set the name to "10-Core Intel Core i9-10900K" but it doesn't seem to work.
I am just doing fine tweaking to an otherwise fully functional system.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?
If you've set your system language to be anything other than US-En, it may be necessary to find the correct plist file for your particular localization.

My spec: ASUS Z490 Rog Maximus XII Hero, i7-10700K, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580

I can confirm Fenvi T919 was preventing me to wake up my PC from USB Keyboard. Not only macOS, also Windows. I bought the same card than you (YOUBO one) and will check if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the tip!
Hello @pepos,

If your avatar photo is a selfie, please note the Rules:

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 8.33.45 AM.png

Hi,

Many thanks to CaseySJ for this very detailed and precise guide. It worked perfectly for my setup which is :
Case : Fractal Design R6 - usb c (the goal being to build a very quiet pc). All three case fans connected directly to the mb and not through the provided hub. Although being 3 pins and not pwm, they are perfectly controlled by the mb.
MB : Gigabyte Z490 VISION D, of course
CPU : i5-10600k (I ordered 10700k initially, but amazon cancelled my order, the seller having sort of disappeared, so I bought what was reasonably available)
Cpu cooler : noctua NH-14s : a bit of a regret, I didn't have enough clearance for using the top pcie port for the graphic card, a sapphire pulse rx 580, so the video card went to the second pcie slot... x8 and not x16, I know, but, as I don't game, it is not a disaster I guess...
Video card : Sapphire pulse RX 580, with a DVI-D needed to drive my old but still nice screen : HP LP3065
Storage : NVME Sabrent Rocket Q, 2To on first socket (closest to cpu)
and a SATA 3To Seagate HDD.
Bluetooth and wifi : Fenvi FV-T919 which hasn't caused any problem so far (although I put it in the first pcie slot, which is a very strange choice I agree, but not much could fit there due to the cpu cooler so why not...)
RAM : 2x32gb DDR4 3200 from patriot allowing for expansion to 128gb if and when I need it... (I might...)

I didn't have much trouble following the guide. The motherboard's bios was surprisingly old (F2) so I upgraded it to the latest on gigabyte's site (not F5a or F5d, but just F5, dated from 07/15)

A little blunder, it so happens my usb stick was not bootable... I had copied the content of the EFI folder into the EFI partition instead of the EFI folder itself. (It thought it weird to have EFI/EFI/... but that's the way it is it seems)

It is too soon to be certain, but everything seems fine so far. Not a fan of benches, but here is what the stock 10600k is able to do in this configuration (everything in the bios as in the guide) :
Geekbench 5 : single-core : 1245, multiple-core : 7215

Pc is when idling near silent, and rather quiet when pushed, and cpu temp stayed quite reasonable (I am not sure intel power gadget measured it above 70°C when benchmarking, with idling temperature around 37°C), while ambiant temps are closer to 30°C than 20°C...

Thanks too for the hints about APFS volumes. It will prove very useful !

Back