Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can assist.

I'm still tearing my hair out with this USB audio interface of mine (RME FF802) & Vision G (F6a BIOS).

It was all working perfectly with F6a originally but I then upgraded the BIOS to F6D and am experiencing the audio glitches and really slow loading of the RME Totalmix FX driver upon turning the thing on over USB.

Annoyingly, I finally managed to convince Gigabyte to send me the older F6a BIOS so I could down-flash to that version (that was previously working great) but the problem still remains upon re flashing.

I remember last time I managed to fix this by adjusting some BIOS settings (like Bifurcation for example) and disabling the intel speedstep options but I feel like I've literally gone through everything now!
Have you had a look at the USB 2 Best Practices Guide?

I see. So Windows was initially installed on the Z390 Designare and transplanted into the Vision D. I’m still wondering if Bootcamp is to blame.

One drastic option would be to install Windows from scratch on a spare SSD using GPT (EFI) instead of MBR and check whether this Startup Disk problem occurs (of course, do not install Bootcamp on the new Windows disk).

Another option would be to backup the Windows disk and (at your own risk) uninstall Bootcamp.

CaseySJ, I think I found the problem with windows. MACDRIVE. I restored my entire WIN 10 2004 image and everything seems to be ok and I can boot form system preferences: start disk.

The symptoms include (Win 10 2004)
  1. USB problems. Only usb devices connected during boot work.. After boot into windows, all USB devices out excepting those that were connected. If you disconnect the keyboard, it does not reconnect.
  2. Device manager would hang on detect hardware changes and you could not delete or change drivers.
  3. Hang on restart and shutdown.
  4. Could not select Windows from system preferences: start Disk.
I started by updating from 1909 to 2004. That was a disaster. All four symptoms from above. I finally installed a fresh copy of WIN 10 2004 Everything seemed to be fine. Installed all my programs and the same systems appeared. Restore from backup would not work nor would restore image. Did a fresh reinstall again but this time I created restore points after every program I installed. I also created a complete backup after major program installs. The same problem as above but this time the problems occurred after reboot from MACDrive 10 install. I tried fixing with restore points but it did not work so I did an image restore point I created prior to MACDrive install and that worked. So far looks good but who knows. I really Hate Windows.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can assist.

I'm still tearing my hair out with this USB audio interface of mine (RME FF802) & Vision G (F6a BIOS).

It was all working perfectly with F6a originally but I then upgraded the BIOS to F6D and am experiencing the audio glitches and really slow loading of the RME Totalmix FX driver upon turning the thing on over USB.

Annoyingly, I finally managed to convince Gigabyte to send me the older F6a BIOS so I could down-flash to that version (that was previously working great) but the problem still remains upon re flashing.

I remember last time I managed to fix this by adjusting some BIOS settings (like Bifurcation for example) and disabling the intel speedstep options but I feel like I've literally gone through everything now!
I don't have any helpful input with regard to your question, but I do have to ask: why update to a newer BIOS if your system was previously stable? It seems you went through a thorough headache in the first place to reach a fully-functioning audio setup without frequent glitches. Just don't understand the reasoning here and wondering what benefits you were hoping to achieve. TIA

Hello,
just bumping this question:
Is there any way to make RAID1 array from onboard RST controller (non-bootable, will be formatted in exFat) available to Catalina?

Also would like to confirm that WTXUP TX-AC94360 card (wi-fi, BlueTooth and all features) works without any further modifications

CaseySJ, I think I found the problem with windows. MACDRIVE. I restored my entire WIN 10 2004 image and everything seems to be ok and I can boot form system preferences: start disk.

The symptoms include (Win 10 2004)
  1. USB problems. Only usb devices connected during boot work.. After boot into windows, all USB devices out excepting those that were connected. If you disconnect the keyboard, it does not reconnect.
  2. Device manager would hang on detect hardware changes and you could not delete or change drivers.
  3. Hang on restart and shutdown.
  4. Could not select Windows from system preferences: start Disk.
I started by updating from 1909 to 2004. That was a disaster. All four symptoms from above. I finally installed a fresh copy of WIN 10 2004 Everything seemed to be fine. Installed all my programs and the same systems appeared. Restore from backup would not work nor would restore image. Did a fresh reinstall again but this time I created restore points after every program I installed. I also created a complete backup after major program installs. The same problem as above but this time the problems occurred after reboot from MACDrive 10 install. I tried fixing with restore points but it did not work so I did an image restore point I created prior to MACDrive install and that worked. So far looks good but who knows. I really Hate Windows.
Good to know!

MacDrive is a Windows application that can read and write macOS formatted disks. So apparently it's causing some significant issues which I would expect the developers to fix soon enough. Meanwhile I'll add a note to Troubleshooting / FAQ.

I don't have any helpful input with regard to your question, but I do have to ask: why update to a newer BIOS if your system was previously stable? It seems you went through a thorough headache in the first place to reach a fully-functioning audio setup without frequent glitches. Just don't understand the reasoning here and wondering what benefits you were hoping to achieve. TIA
In @hughythomas' defense I'll say that:
  • When a motherboard is first released, it is a good idea to keep installing latest firmware (BIOS). This is the stage where problems are being discovered and fixed.
  • When he reverted back to the previous BIOS, the problems remained.
So I think the real issue is USB 2.0 port stability. Apple supposedly fixed this problem in Catalina 10.15.6, but I've not seen any corroboration of the specific USB 2 instability that we've been experiencing on both Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision G (and possibly D).

The USB 2.0 Best Practices guide has been a game changer for Z390 Designare users with multiple USB 2.0 devices.

Hello,
just bumping this question:
Is there any way to make RAID1 array from onboard RST controller (non-bootable, will be formatted in exFat) available to Catalina?

Also would like to confirm that WTXUP TX-AC94360 card (wi-fi, BlueTooth and all features) works without any further modifications
If the RAID1 Rapid Storage Technology (RST) array is formatted as exFAT then it may be available in macOS, but I've never used that. Disk Utility in macOS Catalina provides the ability to create RAID volumes, which are of course guaranteed to work.

Sure, this is also perfectly viable. Both partitions and APFS volumes can be used. APFS volumes are described in Tech Talk in Post 1.

Thanks very much, @CaseySJ. Using a volume (rather than a partition) would be great, and so I gave that a shot, but regrettably, CCC won't proceed in this configuration.

1595705990098.png

I double checked that this was not editable by using csrutil status which indicated of course that SIP was already disabled.

No trouble, I just created a separate partition on my startup disk. Note that it has to be in a different container too.

Attachments

• 1595702093108.png
    1595702093108.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 1595702322900.png
    1595702322900.png
    195 KB · Views: 74
No trouble, I just created a separate partition on my startup disk. Note that it has to be in a different container too.

Hmm I think I may be hitting an issue with the EFIClone script. It appears to think that Source and Destination EFI Partitions are the same.

Code:
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - ***** EFI Clone Script Started *****
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - Working Directory = /
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - Running /Library/Application Support/com.bombich.ccc/Scripts/EFIClone.sh
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - Called From Carbon Copy Cloner with the following parameters:
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - 1: Source Path = /private/tmp/16777223@200725162143
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - 2: Destination Path = /Volumes/Catalina Backup - Data
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - 3: CCC Exit Status = 0
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - 4: Disk image file path = 
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - CCC completed with success, the EFI Clone Script will run
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - CCC clone was not to a disk image. the EFI Clone Script will run
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - sourceVolume = /private/tmp/16777223@200725162143
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - sourceVolumeDisk = disk2
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - destinationVolume = /Volumes/Catalina Backup - Data
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:46 EDT 2020] - destinationVolumeDisk = disk1
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:47 EDT 2020] - sourceEFIPartition = disk0s1
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:47 EDT 2020] - destinationEFIPartition = disk0s1
[Sat Jul 25 16:26:47 EDT 2020] - Source and Destination EFI Partitions are the same. Script exiting.

@CaseySJ, any ideas? From what I can see, it gets the sourceVolumeDisk (disk2) and the destinationVolumeDisk (disk1) correct, but then proceeds to say that sourceEFIPartition = disk0s1 and destinationEFIPartition = disk0s1 too, which is not correct.

Attachments

• 1595709144137.png
    1595709144137.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 1595709249213.png
    1595709249213.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 68
macOS is VERY slow loaded from HDD, I tested it when using HDD as bootable backup clone of my system. It's REALLY slow. You can use HDD for backup copy, but main system drive must be SSD, because of Apple use SSD and macOS tuned for SSD.

VERY slow indeed... It's horrible :crazy:

Back