Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Regrettably not, @CaseySJ. That would have been a boon, for sure, but I'm still very pleased to have a built-in card. Performance has been considerably better than that USB IOGear one I was using before.

View attachment 477145

I am temporarily using the Bluetooth module of the AX201 chip. Two interesting observations I have made:

- Despite Bluetooth 5, the mic on the AirPods Pro doesn't connect at 16,000 Hz like on a real Mac. The mic quality is horrible on 8,000 Hz... Does anyone have a solution for this on a Hackintosh?
- I still had the Fenvi T919 in the PCIe slot for WiFi, but didn't connect it to the USB header on the motherboard. Bluetooth from the card is inactive without the USB connection, right? I ask because Handoff via Bluetooth was working at that time. After removing the Fenvi T919 it didn't work anymore.

@CaseySJ Did I understand correctly that you use the exact same Fenvi card without any problems (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07WGS46PY/?tag=tonymacx8603-21), which caused sleep problems for me and several other users here? I am thinking about buying a second one as a test...

Unfortunately the YOUBO BCM94360CD used by @blob32 and @dranose is not available here (Germany). This one would be available: BCM94360CD MQUPIN AC1750 5G WiFi (https://www.amazon.de/dp/BCM94360CD/?tag=tonymacx8603-21).

Does anyone have any recommendations for problem-free alternatives? The Fenvi FV-HB1200 is currently not available either.
I'm using the Fenvi FV-T919 that is sold in USA through Amazon or NewEgg by "Fenvi Official Store" or "Fenvi US". The first link in your post refers to MQUPIN, but please see this note at the top of Post #1:

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 12.58.32 PM.png

It might be better to purchase a BCM94360CD or BCM94360CS2 module and a separate PCIe adapter. For example, Amazon US has these:

Hey folks. My update to 10.15.6 has not gone well. I was on 10.15.5 working like a charm.
I upgraded bios to f5d, also working great.

I checked the forum and saw that users were updating to 10.15.6 without any difficulty, so I took the plunge, using the usual Preferences > Software Update.

The installer proceeds for a while, a few loading screens, but invariably gets stuck with this message:
macOS could not be installed on your computer
An error occurred while generating the kernel cache.
Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again

My BIOS is running the suggested setup from @CaseySJ in post #1.

I had previously experienced an issue when doing the initial install where I needed to remove 2/4 sticks of RAM to get the installation to work. This did not work in this case.

I confirmed csrutil is disabled.

I can boot into Recovery mode.

I have an option to boot into Catalina (vs Update Catalina). This goes through several loading screens but at the end does not boot into the OS at all.

I tried downloading the combo update directly from Apple. I then loaded it onto a USB stick, and booted into Recovery Mode so I could access the terminal. I then copied the update package to my macOS directory and ran it by getting to mount the .dmg and then using installer to install the .pkg
This ultimately said "The upgrade failed. An error occurred while updating system extension information.

I'm stumped—and very sadly with an unusable machine :cry: Would be very grateful for any assistance!

1595194623980.png
1595194278140.png

I'm using the Fenvi FV-T919 that is sold in USA through Amazon or NewEgg by "Fenvi Official Store" or "Fenvi US". The first link in your post refers to MQUPIN, but please see this note at the top of Post #1:

View attachment 481049

It might be better to purchase a BCM94360CD or BCM94360CS2 module and a separate PCIe adapter. For example, Amazon US has these:

I tried connecting BCM94360CD with the same exact PCIe adapter, but Wi-Fi doesn't work, doesn't get displayed anywhere. Bluetooth does work perfectly (through internal USB). Do you know what could be the cause of the problem?

Hey folks. My update to 10.15.6 has not gone well. I was on 10.15.5 working like a charm.
I upgraded bios to f5d, also working great.

I checked the forum and saw that users were updating to 10.15.6 without any difficulty, so I took the plunge, using the usual Preferences > Software Update.

The installer proceeds for a while, a few loading screens, but invariably gets stuck with this message:
macOS could not be installed on your computer
An error occurred while generating the kernel cache.
Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again

My BIOS is running the suggested setup from @CaseySJ in post #1.

I had previously experienced an issue when doing the initial install where I needed to remove 2/4 sticks of RAM to get the installation to work. This did not work in this case.

I confirmed csrutil is disabled.

I can boot into Recovery mode.

I have an option to boot into Catalina (vs Update Catalina). This goes through several loading screens but at the end does not boot into the OS at all.

I tried downloading the combo update directly from Apple. I then loaded it onto a USB stick, and booted into Recovery Mode so I could access the terminal. I then copied the update package to my macOS directory and ran it by getting to mount the .dmg and then using installer to install the .pkg
This ultimately said "The upgrade failed. An error occurred while updating system extension information.

I'm stumped—and very sadly with an unusable machine :cry: Would be very grateful for any assistance!
Sorry to hear that. Let me see if I understand:
  • At the OpenCore Picker, do you have the option to boot "MacOS" (which is the 10.15.6 installer) and the standard Catalina?
  • But neither one works -- even standard Catalina does not boot up?
  • Because you're posting this message it means you also didn't make a full bootable backup despite all the warnings in Post #1 and the subsequent warnings in the 10.15.6 update post?
Let me stop everything and jump onto my soap box for the umpteenth time. This will be for your own good and for the good of everyone who continues to think they can shrug off a full bootable backup...

... SOAP BOX ... (for everyone; I am not singling anyone out)

We live in a digital age. Our data is our life. Photos, videos, music, tax filings, calendars, reminders, email, shopping, social networking, gaming, online banking, video and music streaming, etc. are all digital.

We pay thousands of dollars a year for car insurance and home insurance and property insurance, but we don't give a rat's &%$* about insuring our digital data?

A Hackintosh is not a real Macintosh, and it will never be. Apple never tests their software on our hardware. Apple does not care if MacOS works or fails miserably on our hardware. We take a risk with Hackintosh. There is no guarantee it's going to be reliable day in and day out, but we risk it anyway. But risk must be balanced by a safety net. A full bootable backup is that safety net; it is the life-saver we all must have.

A full bootable backup can cost less than $100. Not $100 per year or $1000 per year as for insurance, but $100 one time only.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOT MAKING A FULL BOOTABLE BACKUP. THERE WILL NEVER BE AN EXCUSE FOR THIS INCOMPREHENSIBLE OVERSIGHT.

... END OF SOAP BOX ...

Now let's continue.

If standard Catalina will not boot and you don't have a backup, then it's necessary to install Catalina again from scratch, but you can salvage your data:
  • Install Catalina onto a different, fresh SSD. But use the same serial numbers (to minimize re-licensing issues). See if you can mount EFI partition and grab serial numbers from config.plist. Serial numbers should also be in EFI partition of the original USB install disk. You can actually use that disk again to install new copy of Catalina .
  • When installation is complete, do not use Migration Assistant because the original Catalina System folder might be corrupted.
  • Instead, just drag-and-drop all of your data files and applications to the new disk.
  • Re-license the applications as needed.

Let's check the following:
  • Are you using SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V1 or SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2 (for USB port mapping)? This is specified in OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI section.
  • If you're using V2, is XhciPortLimit checked on? This is in OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel (at the bottom of the window).
  • Because you have RX 5700 XT, is agdpmod=pikera specified in Boot Arguments? This is in OpenCore Configurator --> NVRAM section.
  • Verbose mode can be enabled by adding -v to Boot Arguments, rebooting, then at OpenCore Picker Menu, press spacebar to reveal additional options and choose NVRAM Reset. System will reboot. Then at OpenCore Picker, just boot normally.
  • Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor? Is it a flatscreen television?
  • Are you using any video adapters such as DP to DVI, etc.?
  • When the system appears to freeze, have you tried pulling out the video cable and reconnecting it?
  • Also try enabling CSM Support in the Boot section of BIOS Setup.
Please note that a graphical journey through OpenCore is provided in the following section of Post #1:

CaseySJ Thanks for your assistance. After some more homework...
  • I thought I was using SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2. I dowloaded the update several weeks ago but in my laziness I simply recopied my old config.plist file instead rebuilding it with the new download. I corrected that.
  • Open core configurator for the V2 build did not have the XhciPortLimit checked on in the open core configurator. Cause was bullet above.
  • agdpmod=pikera was specified in Boot Arguments.
  • I am using a combination of one HDMI and One Display port cable directed to the monitors.
  • Monitors are (2) ASUS VN248.
  • No Video Adapters, just direct cable connectivity from the RX 5700 XT.
  • No luck with pulling and replugging in cables during the freeze.
  • Tried CSM Support on both settings.
None of the above solved my freezing update to 10.15.5. However, I do know I did do a profile migration from my old hack to the vision D. So I did the following:
  1. Rebuild USB installer from scratch.
  2. Wipe all Hard Drives and reinstall 10.15.5 from scratch
  3. Completed the install with no migrations. Copied the USB EFI folder over and etc..
  4. Completed the update to 10.15.6
  5. Migrated my old profile without computer and network setting over from Time machine backup and all is working as is should.
So I have to think the issue was a byproduct caused from the migration assistant from my old hack to the Vision D in my initial build. I am now up and running with 10.15.6 and everything appears to be functioning properly.

View attachment 481049

Your card from the Amazon US store looks completely identical to the card I linked, in terms of specifications, product labeling, etc. MQUPIN appears on my card only in the header of the Amazon description. On the card, package, etc. you will find Fenvi. Therefore I am sceptical if we are really talking about different hardware. Check out the top two reviews of the Fenvi in the Amazon US Store. They also report about Power Issues in combination with Gigabyte motherboards.

I read your note on page 1. I’m just not quite sure if it’s really a different card. Am I missing something?

Let's start by reseting NVRAM at the OpenCore Picker. Simply press spacebar to reveal additional options. NVRAM reset should be one of entries on the far right. When system reboots, boot into Catalina and try setting Startup Disk again. Reboot and see if the chosen startup disk is indeed selected.

If the problem persists, please open config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and post screenshots of the default main page of each of the following:
  • Booter
  • Kernel
  • NVRAM

Some questions / requests:
  • What devices are connected to the internal USB 2.0 headers?
  • What devices are connected to USB ports on the front panel of the PC case?
  • Please run Activity Monitor, sort the list by % CPU, wait about 10 seconds for the list to settle, then post a screenshot. Feel free to mask out any private information. We're looking to see if any apps or services are consuming high CPU time.

• Was macOS installed from scratch? That is, a previous SSD with macOS already installed was or was not transplanted into this system?
  • Was Migration Assistant used?
  • Did this problem occur when macOS was initially installed, or did it start (a) days or (b) weeks later?
@CaseySJ Thanks for your answer. I'll start with the startup disk. Resetting the NVRAM from the boot picker did not work. As requested here are some screenshots of booter, kernel and nvram:
booter:
1595237023584.png

Kernel:
1595237074586.png

NVRAM:
1595237136233.png

Regarding your questions:
  • What devices are connected to the internal USB 2.0 headers? -> the bluetooth/wifi combo genuine card that is in the PCiex1 and the NZXT kraken usb header
  • What devices are connected to USB ports on the front panel of the PC case? at the moment just a usb keyboard to select the boot drive since I usually use the apple bluetooth magic keyboard and by the time the combo card registered the keystroke the bootscreen has came and gone
  • Please run Activity Monitor, sort the list by % CPU, wait about 10 seconds for the list to settle, then post a screenshot. Feel free to mask out any private information. We're looking to see if any apps or services are consuming high CPU time.
  • As requested:
  • 1595237414415.png
Finally your last question regarding the windows all over the place:
  • Was macOS installed from scratch? That is, a previous SSD with macOS already installed was or was not transplanted into this system? it was the previous macos 10.15.4 that was running on a i7 + Z97X board and clover. I updated my system HW and replaced clover with opencore. However this problem started appearing on the previous system when I switched from an Nvidia GTX 660 to AMD 5600XT. On the previous system with the 5600XT I could not wake up and therefore had to switch off. On this new system I can't go to sleep hence need to switch off as well. I'll take a screenshot next time I reboot. Once installed on the new system, I upgraded to 10.15.6 via apple SW.
  • Was Migration Assistant used? Nope. I took the SSD with 10.15.14, cleaned it up as per the opencore instructions to remove any traces of clover, configure opencore config.plist, copy under the EDFI partition and that's it.
  • Did this problem occur when macOS was initially installed, or did it start (a) days or (b) weeks later? As stated previously it started when switch from Nvidia to AMD 5600XT.
Thanks again

CaseySJ Thanks for your assistance. After some more homework...
  • I thought I was using SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2. I dowloaded the update several weeks ago but in my laziness I simply recopied my old config.plist file instead rebuilding it with the new download. I corrected that.
  • Open core configurator for the V2 build did not have the XhciPortLimit checked on in the open core configurator. Cause was bullet above.
  • agdpmod=pikera was specified in Boot Arguments.
  • I am using a combination of one HDMI and One Display port cable directed to the monitors.
  • Monitors are (2) ASUS VN248.
  • No Video Adapters, just direct cable connectivity from the RX 5700 XT.
  • No luck with pulling and replugging in cables during the freeze.
  • Tried CSM Support on both settings.
None of the above solved my freezing update to 10.15.5. However, I do know I did do a profile migration from my old hack to the vision D. So I did the following:
  1. Rebuild USB installer from scratch.
  2. Wipe all Hard Drives and reinstall 10.15.5 from scratch
  3. Completed the install with no migrations. Copied the USB EFI folder over and etc..
  4. Completed the update to 10.15.6
  5. Migrated my old profile without computer and network setting over from Time machine backup and all is working as is should.
So I have to think the issue was a byproduct caused from the migration assistant from my old hack to the Vision D in my initial build. I am now up and running with 10.15.6 and everything appears to be functioning properly.
Well done! Please make a backup as well (Step 13 in Post #1).

Your card from the Amazon US store looks completely identical to the card I linked, in terms of specifications, product labeling, etc. MQUPIN appears on my card only in the header of the Amazon description. On the card, package, etc. you will find Fenvi. Therefore I am sceptical if we are really talking about different hardware. Check out the top two reviews of the Fenvi in the Amazon US Store. They also report about Power Issues in combination with Gigabyte motherboards.

I read your note on page 1. I’m just not quite sure if it’s really a different card. Am I missing something?
While I have six of those cards installed on 3 Gigabyte, 2 ASRock, and 1 Asus motherboard(s) with a perfect 6-for-6 success rate, others have reported various kinds of problems. The most severe was reported by @Bobby22 in the Z390 Designare thread, where the motherboard hangs during POST. He’s working with Gigabyte, who suspects a problem with the SM Bus or PCI driver on the Fenvi.

Because Fenvi specifically mentions “Hackintosh compatible” on their Amazon and NewEgg product listings, it might be a good idea to contact them directly For advice.

Back