Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Tried update tonight and had the update hang after 3rd restart. Had to push the hard reset button and continue the installation, then got logged off my Apple ID. After another restart, everything went back to normal

Folks, I'm curious what kind of networking speeds you're getting on your Vision D rigs. For background, I'm lucky enough to have FiOS Gigabit fiber to the home and I was getting speeds to the internet routinely around 750-900Mbps down/850-900Mbps up on my previous Hackintosh (tested using Ookla Speedtest). On my new build, I'm capping out at about 10% of that speed -- ~90Mbps down and up. I've confirmed on other devices that I'm still getting Gigabit speed to the home and elsewhere on my wired network. I've also confirmed when I boot this build into Windows (both booting via OpenCore and booting directly by selecting that drive via BIOS) that I'm only getting ~90Mbps down and up -- so this isn't a macOS software thing.

Is anyone else seeing issues similar to this? Any ideas where to look to resolve this bottleneck?

Folks, I'm curious what kind of networking speeds you're getting on your Vision D rigs. For background, I'm lucky enough to have FiOS Gigabit fiber to the home and I was getting speeds to the internet routinely around 750-900Mbps down/850-900Mbps up on my previous Hackintosh (tested using Ookla Speedtest). On my new build, I'm capping out at about 10% of that speed -- ~90Mbps down and up. I've confirmed on other devices that I'm still getting Gigabit speed to the home and elsewhere on my wired network. I've also confirmed when I boot this build into Windows (both booting via OpenCore and booting directly by selecting that drive via BIOS) that I'm only getting ~90Mbps down and up -- so this isn't a macOS software thing.

Is anyone else seeing issues similar to this? Any ideas where to look to resolve this bottleneck?
I use an Aquantia AQC107 Card which SCREAMS,so I don’t have this problem...

I was really hoping to avoid that...especially because if I can use Migration Assistant I can adopt my Time Machine backup...that thing is about 10GB so I hate to rebuild it. I did use Migration Assistant in the past successfully on a Hackintosh from one drive to another, but that was with Clover and I did it post-install. Oh well...time to do what I know works. :D

Have you tried to restore System/Library/Extensions content from original installation before you ran Migration Assistant? From my experience that's the main source of errors after restoring from backup.

Here's how I do restore from Time Machine backup. I keep it in the sparsebundle so it has to be mounted separately:

1) Enable Profile Switcher
2) Create a dummy user with a different name from your main user
3) Disable Screen saver and energy saver
4) Use Directory Access on new Mac and enable Root user
5) Login into Root user and mount Time Machine backup
6) Leave it mounted in Root user
7) Relogin (switch profile) as dummy user and use Migration Assistant to restore
8) After a couple of restarts I reboot from external macOS installation USB and restore S/L/E

Have you tried to restore System/Library/Extensions content from original installation before you ran Migration Assistant? From my experience that's the main source of errors after restoring from backup.

Here's how I do restore from Time Machine backup. I keep it in the sparsebundle so it has to be mounted separately:

1) Enable Profile Switcher
2) Create a dummy user with a different name from your main user
3) Disable Screen saver and energy saver
4) Use Directory Access on new Mac and enable Root user
5) Login into Root user and mount Time Machine backup
6) Leave it mounted in Root user
7) Relogin (switch profile) as dummy user and use Migration Assistant to restore
8) After a couple of restarts I reboot from external macOS installation USB and restore S/L/E

I ended up doing another clean install of macOS after wiping the SSD clean...once complete, I shut down the machine, attached the SATA SSD from the old machine, then rebooted and ran Migration Assistant after logging in and using that SSD as the source. That seemed to work just fine, and no problems created on reboot (once I remembered to disconnect the SATA SSD -- got a shock when the new machine booted to Clover until I remembered about that drive being attached!).

And in case anyone is wondering...it's highly unlikely that this Migration is the source of my Ethernet slowness issues given that they are the same in both macOS and Win10 Pro under dual-boot...

Does this happen if WiFi is turned off so that wired Ethernet is the only active option?

I have cable (alas, not fiber) at 150 Mbps although I routinely get more than that. This was taken two minutes ago (www.speedtest.net) using wired Ethernet with WiFi turned off:

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 12.08.55 PM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ have you been able to boot your EFI from post #1 using Opencore without a Cpuid emulation? I have not... I had to emulate cpuid with the 10700k

also, any progress on the thunderbolt ssdts?

@CaseySJ have you been able to boot your EFI from post #1 using Opencore without a Cupid emulation? I have not... I had to emulate cpuid
Correct; no CPUID emulation needed for me since the beginning. Although I have the 10400, those with 10700K are also not using CPUID as far as I know.
also, any progress on the thunderbolt ssdts?
Yes I tested a couple of variations, but alas no success.

Does this happen if WiFi is turned off so that wired Ethernet is the only active option?

I have cable (alas, not fiber) at 150 Mbps although I routinely get more than that. This was taken two minutes ago (www.speedtest.net) using wired Ethernet with WiFi turned off:

View attachment 480667

No joy - same result at 94.2Mbps down, 92.0 Mbps up under Catalina after making the WiFi interface inactive in Network Preferences. Which of course impacts things like Handoff, so it wouldn't be ideal anyway. I'm going to do a couple more things to ensure it's isolated to this machine off the switch in my office, but that I used to get nearly all Gigabit off the same switch just a week ago...

This is the only real problem I've got with this setup - so hopefully we can solve it! :)

Correct; no CPUID emulation needed for me since the beginning. Although I have the 10400, those with 10700K are also not using CPUID as far as I know.

Yes I tested a couple of variations, but alas no success.

I'm running a 10700K with no CPUID -- just used @CaseySJ's V2 configuration of OpenCore with only the edits called out in the instructions for serial numbers, etc.

Back