Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi everyone!
My GA-Z77x-UD5H just died after 8 years of loyal services.
So time to renew it!
Thanks @CaseySJ for this great tutorial, I've opted for your config:

- Z490 Vision D
- i5-10400 (temporary, hopefully replaced by a Rocket Lake next year)
- 2x16Go G.Skills NEO 3200MHz
Already own:
- PNY 3030 NVMe 1TB (for macOS)
- SSD Samsung EVO 500GB (for Windows)
- Corsair rM850i 850W

A few questions:
As I'm planning dual boot Windows on a SATA SSD for the moment (before maybe switching it on an NVMe in the future)
1- Should I install Windows first on the SATA SSD? (or install order doesn't matter if on SATA SSD?)
2- Which slot should i put my macOS NVMe for fresh installation if I later move my Windows install on a new NVMe?
3- Is N-D-K fork of OpenCore project dead?

Hi everyone!

A few questions:
As I'm planning dual boot Windows on a SATA SSD for the moment (before maybe switching it on an NVMe in the future)
1- Should I install Windows first on the SATA SSD? (or install order doesn't matter if on SATA SSD?)
2- Which slot should i put my macOS NVMe for fresh installation if I later move my Windows install on a new NVMe?

I don't think the installation order matters, you just can't have the macOS installed while installing Windows, you'll get an error during the Windows installation if the macOS drive is also installed.

Hi everyone!
So time to renew it!

- Z490 Vision D
Already own:
- Corsair rM850i 850W

A few questions:
Good choices!

Yes, it’s a good idea to install Windows first. That will avoid having to remove the MacOS SSD later on. It can also confirm that your hardware is fully functional.

If you do switch Windows from SATA SSD to NVMe SSD, then use a M.2 slot “above” the MacOS slot.

The NDK fork hasn’t been updated in a couple of months so for the time being it’s on hold. I would really like to see that fork continue...

Hi everyone!
So time to renew it!

- Z490 Vision D
Already own:
- Corsair rM850i 850W

A few questions:

I’m upgrading from a GA-Z77-UP5 TH that’s still working, and largely have this new configuration built around a Vision D board, using CaseySJ’s technique. Machine works great and just flies.

I mounted my NVMe SSD for a Windows install in the slot closest to the processor and installed Win10 Pro first. Once that was up and running, I installed macOS Catalina on an NVMe SSD in the “bottom-most” slot so I would keep the maximum number of SATA ports available. I’m also not using the PCIe slot that shares bandwidth with this NVMe slot, so I get the maximum 4x performance on this slot.

Good luck!

Big thanks to everyone on this thread for their help with this build! I’ve gotten things up and running quite well with this approach. I do have a question on others’ experience with using Migration Assistant to move files from my old machine to this one.

I decided to try a clean install on a freshly-formatted SSD and utilize Migration Assistant during the install via a direct connection to the SATA SSD that is my old Hack’s boot drive. Everything went well...UNTIL it came time to restart after Migration Assistant completed its work. After booting into OpenCore and selecting the new SSD to continue, I got a brief image of the white Apple logo but then dropped into the ”bad drive” logo. OpenCore reported the following error:

Code:
OCB: StartImage failed - Aborted
Halting on critical error

Has anyone ever gotten this application of Migration Assistant to work, or is it better to run it AFTER the OS install and running it with a first administrative user?

Big thanks to everyone on this thread for their help with this build! I’ve gotten things up and running quite well with this approach. I do have a question on others’ experience with using Migration Assistant to move files from my old machine to this one.

I decided to try a clean install on a freshly-formatted SSD and utilize Migration Assistant during the install via a direct connection to the SATA SSD that is my old Hack’s boot drive. Everything went well...UNTIL it came time to restart after Migration Assistant completed its work. After booting into OpenCore and selecting the new SSD to continue, I got a brief image of the white Apple logo but then dropped into the ”bad drive” logo. OpenCore reported the following error:

Code:
OCB: StartImage failed - Aborted
Halting on critical error

Has anyone ever gotten this application of Migration Assistant to work, or is it better to run it AFTER the OS install and running it with a first administrative user?
I wouldn't recommend using Migration Assistant on Hackintoshes (perhaps even on real Macs) because it does not provide the necessary level of control we need to select what to migrate and what to emphatically avoid. The best solution in my opinion is also the most manual solution, namely:
  • Just drag-and-drop your Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Movies, Music and other files using Finder.
  • Reinstall the applications you need and avoid installing any "baggage" from the old disk that you will probably never use.
    • This means having to re-license many or most of the apps, but this is often needed with Migration Assistance as well.

I wouldn't recommend using Migration Assistant on Hackintoshes (perhaps even on real Macs) because it does not provide the necessary level of control we need to select what to migrate and what to emphatically avoid. The best solution in my opinion is also the most manual solution, namely:
  • Just drag-and-drop your Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Movies, Music and other files using Finder.
  • Reinstall the applications you need and avoid installing any "baggage" from the old disk that you will probably never use.
    • This means having to re-license many or most of the apps, but this is often needed with Migration Assistance as well.

I was really hoping to avoid that...especially because if I can use Migration Assistant I can adopt my Time Machine backup...that thing is about 10GB so I hate to rebuild it. I did use Migration Assistant in the past successfully on a Hackintosh from one drive to another, but that was with Clover and I did it post-install. Oh well...time to do what I know works. :D

Catalina 10.15.6 has just been released

Please see follow-up here, which was actually done on Z490 Vision D!​

Catalina 10.15.6 has just been released

Please see follow-up here, which was actually done on Z490 Vision D!​

Yes, I can confirm, everything works well ... Thank you @CaseySJ and all other supporters and forum members ...

Back