Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Just to close the loop on the issue with Windows 10 and MacOS not waking up from sleep, because of the Fenvi T919 card.

My spec: i7-10700k, Radeon 5700 XT Gigabyte OC, Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Bios F5a).

Replacing this card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WGS46PY/ with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082X8MBMD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 solved the issue for me and @dranose (if I understood it correctly)

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WGS46PY/ doesn't work. AFAIK many folks with the same hardware spec had no issues with this card.

Thanks @CaseySJ for the great tutorial and config.

Just to close the loop on the issue with Windows 10 and MacOS not waking up from sleep, because of the Fenvi T919 card.

My spec: i7-10700k, Radeon 5700 XT Gigabyte OC, Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Bios F5a).

Replacing this card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WGS46PY/ with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082X8MBMD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 solved the issue for me and @dranose (if I understood it correctly)

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WGS46PY/ doesn't work. AFAIK many folks with the same hardware spec had no issues with this card.

Thanks @CaseySJ for the great tutorial and config.
Thank you -- I'll add a note at the top of Post #1 regarding the MQUPIN.

Last edited:
Hello, all I've been lurking for a while and enjoying seeing this all play out. I'm just about to fire on a new system, I'm looking at going for:

• Designare Z390 / Vision D or G
  • i9 9900k / i9 10900k / 10700?
  • 500gb Samsung Evo Plus (will check firmware version)
  • Corsair RM650i
  • 32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4
  • Corsair iCue case
  • Corsair AIO cooler
I get a discount through a friend on Corsair stuff but I'm not particularly tied to it as a brand. I'm looking at making the order through Scan. I'm based in the UK.

I can get a Fenvi T919 from amazon, but if anyone can recommend anything else I could get through Scan for less than ~£50 that'd be very welcome. This will just be for hand-off/continuity stuff I plan on using ethernet for the connection.

I‘ve seen a few posts saying “jump to gen 10”, but thought I’d see if anyone has any opinions on if 10th gen stuff is heading towards the same stability of 9th.

TLDR:
Gen 9 or 10 for first build?
Vision D or G?

Thanks in advance
Sam

@sam.brett,

I recommend the Z490 Vision D. This board is an improvement over the Z390 Designare in several ways: Additional USB 2.0 header, additional M.2 slot, two thermistor probes, RGB Fusion, 2.5Gbps Ethernet port, POST code LED, BIOS flashback). It will also support Rocket Lake desktop CPUs later this year (but most likely early next year).

As for a lower cost version of Fenvi, there is also the Fenvi FV-H1200.

@sam.brett,

I recommend the Z490 Vision D. This board is an improvement over the Z390 Designare in several ways: Additional USB 2.0 header, additional M.2 slot, two thermistor probes, RGB Fusion, 2.5Gbps Ethernet port, POST code LED, BIOS flashback). It will also support Rocket Lake desktop CPUs later this year (but most likely early next year).

As for a lower cost version of Fenvi, there is also the Fenvi FV-H1200.

Thanks for the input, i just priced up the difference and the 10th gen is about £120 more with the 10900k or marginally cheaper with the 10700k. Most of the components are out of stock everywhere for now, so I may have to be patient...

I'm doing the same thing now, deciding between this build with the Z490 vs the Z390 golden build. I'm just not sure I want to deal with the required x64 limitations of Catalina unfortunately. Just incase I need backwards compatibility with Mojave. Though I want to do a build that is well documented incase I get confused in the process. Hah.

• Designare Z390 / Vision D or G
  • i9 9900k / i9 10900k / 10700?
TLDR:
Gen 9 or 10 for first build?
Vision D or G?

Thanks in advance
Sam
Gen 10 the best choice, I think.

10900K if you REALLY need 10 cores/20 threads, for example for video edit software.
If you don’t need 20 threads and 16 threads will be enough, 10700K is good choice, it has the same performance per core, and its price is much lower: for 10900K you pay about 25-30% more than for 10700K.

For me the best choice is i7-10700K and upgrade to Gen 11 in next year.

Vision G is good choice if you don't need Thunderbolt 3 and other features of Vision D.
For me, Vision G is good choice for its price: it has the same CPU VRM, and (excluding TB3 and WiFi/Bluetooth) this motherboard almost the same as Vision D, but its price is lower.

VERY IMPORTANT difference!
Vision G has only two M.2 connectors! Additional M.2 connector near CPU (M2B_CPU) reserved for 11-th gen of CPUs (and PCI-E 4.0), note in manual says: "The M2B_CPU M.2 connector is reserved only. No functionalities."
On Vision D all three M.2 connectors available (but only M2A_CPU supports PCI-E 4.0 on Gen 11, AFAIK, and two M.2 connectors affects SATA3 connectors: if you use all three M.2, you can't use 3 of SATA3 connectors)!
On Vision D M2P_SB shares bandwidth with PCI-Ex4 slot, and this slot operates at up to x2 mode when a PCIe SSD is installed in the M2P_SB connector.

On Vision G you can use two M.2 PCI-E SSD and all 6 SATA3 connectors, or one M.2 PCI-E SSD and one M.2 SATA SSD and 5 SATA3 connectors (in SATA mode M2A_SB uses all bandwidth of SATA3 1 connector).

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ and @Ayvan
I'm considering a Vision D / G build (probably G) and I'm wondering: do you have sleep functional without ejecting drives? (another way to say this is: are these boards intel native USB3.x, or do they use ASMedia chips for USB3.x?)
Thanks in advance!

Hi @CaseySJ and @Ayvan
I'm considering a Vision D / G build (probably G) and I'm wondering: do you have sleep functional without ejecting drives? (another way to say this is: are these boards intel native USB3.x, or do they use ASMedia chips for USB3.x?)
Thanks in advance!
Hello @canyondust

These boards use Intel native USB controllers built into the PCH. Just tested sleep and wake with USB flash disk inserted. Disk was not ejected and no warning was displayed. Disk was restored after wake.

Last edited:
Hello @canyondust

These boards use Intel native USB controllers built into the PCH. Just tested sleep and wake with USB flash disk inserted. Disk was not ejected and warning was displayed. Disk was restored after wake.
Interesting. I would have expected no warning / ejection on sleep with the native chipset. Does this behavior happen on your Z390 build as well? (and are you injecting USB properties via SSDT to kext?)

Back