Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey,

Thanks again for the ongoing support here. Extremely kind of you sir!
  1. UAD-2 is indeed a PCI-E card physically attached inside my rig
  2. I personally never had any drop outs with FF802 and Z390. I was on a Asus Z390-A Prime motherboard.
  3. I'm now using samuel's EFI from github found here. It does mention some stuff about USB that I've not done personally and I must admitt I'm by no means an expert. Does the SSDT-USB need to be built seperately for each respective user? Ie. I can't just download someone elses working EFI for that mobo?
Best,

Tom

It seems to me that Samuel's EFI has a few problems.
Why don't you use Casey's EFI?

Hi Casey,

Thanks again for the ongoing support here. Extremely kind of you sir!
  1. UAD-2 is indeed a PCI-E card physically attached inside my rig
  2. I personally never had any drop outs with FF802 and Z390. I was on a Asus Z390-A Prime motherboard.
  3. I'm now using samuel's EFI from github found here. It does mention some stuff about USB that I've not done personally and I must admitt I'm by no means an expert. Does the SSDT-USB need to be built seperately for each respective user? Ie. I can't just download someone elses working EFI for that mobo?
Best,

Tom
The USB SSDT (SSDT-UIAC.aml) is generally customized once per motherboard. Every owner of that motherboard can use the same SSDT (no changes needed).

Samuel's EFI has a problem regarding USB:
  • The USB SSDT is present in the ACPI folder
  • But USBInjectAll.kext is missing from the Kexts folder
This means SSDT-UIAC.aml has no effect.

Follow-Up Questions:
  • Have you tried disabling all plug-ins? Then enabling them one by one?
  • If the RME device is disconnected during boot, does the system boot up at normal speed?
  • If the UAD device is disconnected during boot, does the system boot up at normal speed?
Often we have little choice but to perform a process of elimination.

Tsk tsk tsk... :)

MacOS drives should be physically disconnected or removed when installing Windows. When the Windows installer starts, it will give you an option to format the disk. It's been a while since I did this, but I was able to create an EFI partition (by choosing "GUID Partition Map" or "GUID Partition Table").

Actually, I would suggest doing this:
  • Boot into macOS first with Windows NVMe SSD installed.
  • Use Disk Utility to format the Windows M.2 with Format = FAT or exFAT, and Scheme = GUID Partition Map. This will create an EFI partition automatically.
  • Then shutdown macOS.
  • Turn off power to the system (flip PSU to OFF).
  • Physically remove macOS M.2 SSD(s).
  • Insert Windows USB Install disk and start up the system.
  • When Windows installer begins, it may detect the large FAT/exFAT partition and reformat it to NTFS (or you can do this manually).
  • Now Windows will install its boot loader into the EFI partition of the M.2 SSD instead of Master Boot Record (MBR) or anything else.
Little update, this install process worked just fine. Thanks again. One quick question regarding OpenCore-

My Windows 10 install is now appearing first at boot as "Bootcamp" :)lol:) followed by the Catalina disk. Is there a way to rearrange the two boot options so Catalina is selected by default instead of W10? Not a huge deal, but would be nice.

Little update, this install process worked just fine. Thanks again. One quick question regarding OpenCore-

My Windows 10 install is now appearing first at boot as "Bootcamp" :)lol:) followed by the Catalina disk. Is there a way to rearrange the two boot options so Catalina is selected by default instead of W10? Not a huge deal, but would be nice.
Try the following:
  • At the OpenCore picker menu, select the icon to Reset NVRAM.
  • Then boot macOS and open System Preferences --> Startup Disk.
  • Click the padlock on the lower left to unlock.
  • Then select the macOS disk.
  • On the next reboot, check if macOS is selected by default.
At this time, OpenCore will think every Windows disk is a Boot Camp disk because OpenCore is being designed for real Macs as well (i.e. MacPro5,1 and 6,1 and others). OpenCore is still in beta as well...

Is the internal macOS drive an NVMe (M.2) SSD?

Is the backup drive an internal SATA SSD or an external SATA SSD mounted inside a USB 3 enclosure?

Does the backup disk also have an EFI partition? Does that partition contain the same EFI folder as the internal SSD?
Is the internal macOS drive an NVMe (M.2) SSD? Yes. Internal macOS drive "original SSD" is an NVMe SSD
Is the backup drive an internal SATA SSD or an external SATA SSD mounted inside a USB 3 enclosure? Backup drive "cloned SSD that creating problem now" is also internal NVMe (M.2).
Does the backup disk also have an EFI partition? Yes. when formatting the NVMe using disk utility, the EFI partition is created.
Does that partition contain the same EFI folder as the internal SSD? I copied the EFI from original NVMe SSD to "cloned" NVMe SSD

I noticed only 2 front USB 3 port not working. When I plugged USB 2 disk, it did recognize it. When I disable SSDT-UIAC, the USB 3 can be recognised and working as usual. Now I just disable SSDT-UIAC.

Try the following:
  • At the OpenCore picker menu, select the icon to Reset NVRAM.
  • Then boot macOS and open System Preferences --> Startup Disk.
  • Click the padlock on the lower left to unlock.
  • Then select the macOS disk.
  • On the next reboot, check if macOS is selected by default.
At this time, OpenCore will think every Windows disk is a Boot Camp disk because OpenCore is being designed for real Macs as well (i.e. MacPro5,1 and 6,1 and others). OpenCore is still in beta as well...

@CaseySJ Good evening Sir, It has come to my attention that the names and unique icons associated with tools within OpenCore's picker menu do not any longer exit. Labels just reflects....Tools, bearing a generic icon.

This, I have observed is true, as of OC-0.5.9.

Are you experiencing the same?

Tony.

@CaseySJ Good evening Sir, It has come to my attention that the names and unique icons associated with tools within OpenCore's picker menu do not any longer exit. Labels just reflects....Tools, bearing a generic icon.

This, I have observed is true, as of OC-0.5.9.

Are you experiencing the same?

Tony.
The "boot camp" listing for my Windows drive was driving me crazy so I did some digging and found if you go into the Misc-Picker Attributes and change it from "15" to "1" in your config.plist - it showed "windows" on reboot.
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.52.30 PM.png

Hello @CaseySJ, could you confirm whether your fan sensor readings (provided by VirtualSMC+SMCSuperIO) are working properly even after waking up from deep sleep, please?

Hello @CaseySJ, could you confirm whether your fan sensor readings (provided by VirtualSMC+SMCSuperIO) are working properly even after waking up from deep sleep, please?
I have only 2 fans (liquid cooler pump anf fan) connected to my Vision G (other fans connected to NZXT controller), and in HWMonitorSMC2 I can see speed of this fans after waking from sleep too: pump speed is always max and fan changes speed as expected. Looks like it working properly.

Back