Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hey Tonben

Thank you for your offer of help!

I stayed up all night working in Logic Pro X 10.5.0 so am a little sleepy. Someone earlier asked about my system overloads...I should mention all my projects are at 96kHz as I'm one of those annoying music producers who hears a difference.

The problems I am having with the build are the following (I am using Ayvan's EFI from post 476 which I've also linked below):
  • USB related issue when my RME Fireface 802 is connected that way which results in 30 seconds before Totalmix loads. Totalmix behaves normally when the FF802 is connected by way of Firewire (see below).
  • Audio drop outs/glitches system wide (this seems a little better when using the firewire 800 interconnect and PCI-E add in card vs. USB). The Fireface 802 conveniently has both Firewire & USB connectivity.
  • System overloads in Logic Pro X (my 10900K is clocked to 5.1Ghz with 16GB 3200Mhz DDR4)
  • Rendering a mix in Logic Pro X you see the locator bar jumping backwards in time sometimes in an akward manner. It still bounces correctly so I consider this minor.
I'm hoping someone with a Vision G (who is more expert than I) can come to the rescue with either a beautifully crafted EFI folder and/or noobs guide for dinosaurs like me!

What I noticed in Ayvan's EFI is way more kexts that didn't seem to be previously required. I wonder if there may be some unnecessary clutter in there? Having said this, Ayvan's is the best I've used so far so!

I work professionally in the music industry recording artists/bands which I know is a bit of a gamble with hackintosh (especially as an early adopter of Z490/10900K) but I have been doing this for 10 years and Apple simply don't offer a computer that can handle my requirements both by way of power and budget but I digress.

Best,

Tom

@hughythomas Good Day,
It has been our experience that production requirements as mission critical as reliable 96K audio recording, needs not only exorbitant processing power, but extremely stable power. This remains true for any DAW platform.

The supplied information indicates several system congestion possibilities.

But first, I am curious.

Have you utilized this Logic test? (https://music-prod.com/logic-pro-x-benchmarks/)
What are the findings with and without introduced overclocking?

Tony.

128 buffer size for tracking 1024 for mixing/mastering. Although a lot of the time I forget to switch to the latter and just carry on at 128.

Virtual Instruments?
there are virtual instruments that only work on one processor core.

Mostly use 3rd party sample libraries.

I work primarily in rock/pop/country/reggae/folk so not so much EDM or dance.

I was hoping this upgrade would net me better improvements to Logic but it is still suffering:

Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 14.00.02.png

Mostly use 3rd party sample libraries.

I work primarily in rock/pop/country/reggae/folk so not so much EDM or dance.
I was hoping this upgrade would net me better improvements to Logic but it is still suffering:

you can clearly see that you have an overloaded core. It's not an EFI or configuration issue. Do you have any plugins that are not going well. What do you have on the Master?

Gigabyte has deleted the F4d BIOS from their website. F2 and F3 are still available. I believe there are GPU-related bugs in F4d. We should upgrade to F5a.

I'll upgrade later. Maybe it'll solve my sleep issues... :) btw: with F4d I had issues with my mainboard resetting the rgb color all the time. It was different with F2/F3.

you can clearly see that you have an overloaded core. It's not an EFI or configuration issue. Do you have any plugins that are not going well. What do you have on the Master?

I beg to differ mate - the whole computer is a little sluggish compared to my previous build (i7 8700K / Z390) and this current project is by no means particularly complex.

I have 1x Waves SSL bus compressor on the master.

This is another project more typical of the sort of thing we do (and closer to completion than the other one that I screenshotted earlier) but admittedly using UAD-2 alongside other native plugins like Waves, Native Instruments, Plugin Alliance & Drumforge.

EDIT: Sorry didnt mean to come across rude here I just re-read my post haha :p

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 14.16.14.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 14.16.14.png
    835.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 14.15.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 14.15.51.png
    675.3 KB · Views: 75
@Ayvan One more question.

What power supply are you using?

I am also planning to have a 10700K and upon reading the Z490 Vision G manual it has one 8-pin CPU connector and one 4-pin CPU connector. I am planning to reuse a RM750x bought in 2016 which has only one 8-pin CPU connector.

Does the 10700K boot on the Vision G with only one connector? Is the 4-pin necessary to power it or only necessary for extreme overclocking?

Hi @inapis.crazy,

My reply comes a bit late, sorry for that. I have exactly the same power supply as you (same year, same power, same name...). I would still plug this additional 4-pin CPU connector to the motherboard, if I were you, since it appears to be highly recommended in the manual (even though you don't do any OC). But the good news is that there is absolutely no problem with it!... because your awesome power supply is modular! :) All you need is another Corsair 8-pin CPU connector (they don't provide any 4-pin version as far as I know). This one fits anyway because it's simply a doubled 4-pin connector: you just need to plug one half of it to your motherboard. Of course, on your power supply side, this additional connector would take the place of a PCI Express connector (which uses the same input), but there is still of course one PCI Express input available along with these two 8-pin CPU connectors. Knowing that one PCI Express connector (on power supply side) can actually offer two different supplies (on motherboard side), then don't worry... unless you want to build a three graphic cards configuration (as far as I know... graphic cards are the only type of PCI-E cards which needs this additional supply), your power supply is definitely safe with this build. Corsair sells this connector around 20 dollars, which is kinda expensive, but you can find some on ebay for around 5 dollars.

Maybe just a last thing, in case you don't know. Your 8-pin connector is probably a Type-4 version like mine. The ones that are currently sold are of Type-5. But precisely regarding the CPU 8-Pin connector, the version change has no influence: backwards compatibility from T-5 to T-4 is ensured (Corsair mentioned it on its website)

Hope this helps...

P.S. Very special thanks @CaseySJ for this great guide. I don't think that one can reasonably expect more than what you just offered us. This was convincing enough to take the plunge and upgrade my 5 years old hackintosh. :clap:

Okay, the saga continues... This version of util.py should be used. In fact, just grab all of the files in the screenshot below and copy them to the liquidctl folder (overwrite the previous ones).

View attachment 477444
This reminds me of a flight two years ago from California to New York with a layover at Chicago O'Hare. Due to last minute thunderstorms, the flight circled the region (holding pattern) and was then asked to divert to a regional airport about 80 miles away and wait on the ground. When we eventually arrived at Chicago the flight attendant made the most memorable remark:

We hope you enjoyed the ride as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride.

So I hope you're "enjoying the ride" :)
Ha! Great quote. Unfortunately after following all of these steps I am back to square one, ie drawing a blank when performing 'liquidctl list.' I am going to give it a rest for a couple of weeks and enjoy my new build. Pulled up an extremely processing intensive Logic Pro X session last night and was amazed to see an average of no higher than 25% CPU usage in LPX's monitoring tab.

Back