Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ W480 chipset is not the best on 10th gen....
W480 supports ECC memory, but NOT support memory overclock (max frequency is 2933 for i7/i9) and CPU overclock too. So, this "enhanced power design" is for marketing purposes only.

Updated:
VRM on Vision D/G is ehough for ~450W CPU power. It's more than i9 with overclock can consume. Look at VRM power calculations in my post about OC (this post was updated after you add link to my post to the Post #1).

Updated 2:
on images of W480 Vision D VRM looks like the same as on Z490 version: 12+1 phases.

Last edited:
Heya thank you for the reply!

Yes, I've tried all of them now same problem :(

I get audio drop outs system wide and RME's Totalmix software takes ages to load on boot. I've also just seen on startup that the blue LED for 'USB' on the front of the audio interfaces comes on just as the software driver finally launches so my issue is definitely USB related.

I've attached my EFI folder - might there be someone who would kindly take a look? Happy to sling something your way as an appreciation i just need it working in Logic Pro X URGENTLY!

I'm getting rather desperate now as originally I bought a Ryzen upgrade that didn't work out well...at all. That had to be sent back as none of the 3rd party plugins were working in Logic. This whole upgrade has cost me 3 weeks off of work now and my clients are understandably getting rather agitated!

Best,

Tom

EDIT: I have tried CaseySJ's EFI folder to boot just now on my Vision G (both v1 and v2 open core 0.5.9) and they are slower and still both exhibit the same issue with USB :(
Hello Tom,

Is the RME device self-powered or it is powered by the USB cable (i.e. "bus powered")? How many USB devices are connected (across all USB ports)?

Have you tried moving the RME to different USB ports, including the two yellow ones on the rear IO panel? The yellow ports have improved voltage regulation. We can also boost the voltage in BIOS Setup or disable USB power on those two ports. EDIT: nevermind, the Vision G does not have yellow DAC-UP ports.

200618131412_resize.jpg

Last edited:
@CaseySJ W480 chipset is not the best on 10th gen....
W480 supports ECC memory, but NOT support memory overclock (max frequency is 2933 for i7/i9) and CPU overclock too. So, this "enhanced power design" is for marketing purposes only.

Updated:
VRM on Vision D/G is ehough for ~450W CPU power. It's more than i9 with overclock can consume. Look at VRM power calculations in my post about OC (this post was updated after you add link to my post to the Post #1).
Actually, in my humble opinion, overclocking is a marketing strategy as well. There is no guarantee as to how much any particular processor or DIMM can be overclocked, hence the term "silicon lottery". Companies charge a premium price for the ability to overclock, which most people do not do. And when overclocking is done, it tends to produce only 1% to 5% increase in real-world performance (on average), but comes at higher energy cost and heat.

It is better to buy a processor with native high base and boost speeds that is built on an inherently more energy-efficient process node such as 10nm or 7nm or 5nm.

So for me personally, overclocking is just marketing hype! :) I am very happy with the i5-10400 that has a TDP of only 65W. That's progress -- i.e. performance per watt.

The full path to the driver folder (no "s") is:

/usr/local/Cellar/liquidctl/1.3.3_1/libexec/lib/python3.8/site-packages/liquidctl/driver

My development branch with latest RGB Fusion driver:

I found the “driver” folder last night and copied your Gigabyte RGB driver into it, but still am drawing a blank when running ‘liquidctl list.’ Uncertain as to how to proceed. Already tried uninstalling and reinstalling liquidctl and replacing the driver. If only I could change the front panel strip to something other than orange!

Actually, in my humble opinion, overclocking is a marketing strategy as well. There is no guarantee as to how much any particular processor or DIMM can be overclocked, hence the term "silicon lottery". Companies charge a premium price for the ability to overclock, which most people do not do. And when overclocking is done, it tends to produce only 1% to 5% increase in real-world performance (on average), but comes at higher energy cost and heat.

It is better to buy a processor with native high base and boost speeds that is built on an inherently more energy-efficient process node such as 10nm or 7nm or 5nm.

So for me personally, overclocking is just marketing hype! :) I am very happy with the i5-10400 that has a TDP of only 65W. That's progress -- i.e. performance per watt.
I agree that overclocking a CPU is more of a marketing hype, but overclocking memory with X.M.P. profile is a good thing, but Intel chipsets of H/B/W series not support it. You can buy DDR4 RAM with 3600-3866 MHz (and it costs not so much), but you cant start X.M.P. profile if you have not Z490 motherboard. But in some tasks memory speed is very important.

Also, if you have good CPU cooler, you can overclock multiplier of other (not two "top boosted") cores to achieve more multi-core performance.

Hi CaseySJ, any specific reason why you picked the iMac 19,1 SMBIOS? I assume to get QuickSync working?

Also, has anyone tried running final-cut pro with the quick sync and 2 additional GPUs on the PCIE slots?

Thinking if having 2 Vega 64 GPUs on this board will not benefit much since it has QuickSync enabled. This would allow me to move the other Vega 64 GPU to another build (test build probably - Ryzen B550)

I found the “driver” folder last night and copied your Gigabyte RGB driver into it, but still am drawing a blank when running ‘liquidctl list.’ Uncertain as to how to proceed. Already tried uninstalling and reinstalling liquidctl and replacing the driver. If only I could change the front panel strip to something other than orange!
We need to copy these two files:
  • gigabyte_rgb_fusion.py
  • __init__.py
Then try:
Code:
liquidctl --debug list

I agree that overclocking a CPU is more of a marketing hype, but overclocking memory with X.M.P. profile is a good thing, but Intel chipsets of H/B/W series not support it. You can buy DDR4 RAM with 3600-3866 MHz (and it costs not so much), but you cant start X.M.P. profile if you have not Z490 motherboard. But in some tasks memory speed is very important.

Also, if you have good CPU cooler, you can overclock multiplier of other (not two "top boosted") cores to achieve more multi-core performance.
Agree with you on X.M.P. Profile, but even Apple's new Mac Pro only supports a max of 2933 MHz memory, probably due to the same Intel chipset restrictions. On workstations, the need for reliable ECC memory trumps the need for fastest (and sometimes less stable) memory.

More important, I think, is the number of PCIe lanes because that allows us to add SATA drives and M.2 drives and use all PCIe slots without incurring any penalty.

We need to copy these two files:
  • gigabyte_rgb_fusion.py
  • __init__.py
Then try:
Code:
liquidctl --debug list
Followed and returned this -

Attachments

• liqctlsc2.png
    liqctlsc2.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 75
Hello Tom,

Is the RME device self-powered or it is powered by the USB cable (i.e. "bus powered")? How many USB devices are connected (across all USB ports)?

Have you tried moving the RME to different USB ports, including the two yellow ones on the rear IO panel? The yellow ports have improved voltage regulation. We can also boost the voltage in BIOS Setup or disable USB power on those two ports. EDIT: nevermind, the Vision G does not have yellow DAC-UP ports.

View attachment 477427

Hey Casey thank you kindly for taking the time to reply. Really appreciate that mate.

I have the Vision G motherboard and although the BIOS looks mostly the same (or very similiar) there does not seem to be the option on the 'G' for this USB 3.0 DAC-UP 2.

I have made SOME progress in the sense that I slotted an old PCI-E Firewire 800 card into my machine and have connected the RME Fireface 802 up by way of firewire. This has improved the loading time(s) of the Fireface driver panel and Totalmix software but I am still getting intermittent audio drop outs both on pro music applications and even on Youtube that I did not have on my previous system (ASUS Z370-A Prime / i7 8700K). My rig is exactly the same albeit a move to a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G / i9 10900K.

I'm starting to be fairly convinced theres a problem with my config.plist.

If anyone has a working Vision G or could check out my previous post that contained my EFI folder in case I've done something stupid I would be super grateful!

Back