Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi chaps

I have the Vision G but cant get the onboard Ethernet working. The Vision G has only 1x Intel 225Gbe Ethernet port unfortunately.

I've got Catalina 10.15.5 successfully installed and everything is working beautifully aside from the network. This is a work machine so I'm getting rather desperate after 2 days of solid tinkering!

Would anyone be able to lend a hand at all? I've tried multiple times now to no avail and am starting to pull my hair out at this point!

Another user said to try the latest intelmausi.kext but it seems like I already have that? (1.0.3). I must admit that seemed strange when he said to me as I thought we needed the "FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext" & "FakePCIID.kext" to make the Intel i225 2.5Gbe point work?

Best Wishes,

Tom
You need FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext, FakePCIID.kext and device-id in config.plist:
Снимок экрана 2020-06-22 в 00.37.52.png

My Ethernet controller on Vision G works fine.

Last edited:
Hi, I built a Hackintosh 8 years ago that I kept working for almost 4 years so I have some experience (although very dated). However, for the last 4 years I've been using a MacBook Pro. I just decided to get back into a new Hackintosh and purchased all the same equipment as CaseySJ expect I got the "G" version instead of the "D". I didn't feel I need the TB support so figured I could save $100. Anyway, for the life of me I'm unable to get through step 7:

If macOS has not yet been installed:
  • Boot the Z490 Vision-D with the USB install disk connected.
  • Press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu and select the USB flash disk.
  • The OpenCore graphical boot picker will appear.

The OpenCore graphical boot picker will not appear for me. What shows up on the BIOS boot menu is "UEFI: iXpand, Partition 1". However, if I select that option the screen goes black for about 3 seconds and the same BIOS boot menu shows up again. I have rebuilt the USB drive twice now and have included the changes for the Vision G board. Would greatly appreciate any help folks can provide --- I know I'm only a short time away from a great Hackintosh if I can only just get through this menu.

Kind regards.

You need FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext, FakePCIID.kext and device-id in config.plist:View attachment 477376

My Ethernet controller on Vision G works fine.

Hiya, thank you for the reply - I finally fixed my issue by using PlistEditPro.

I finally have working Ethernet with the Vision G.

I do however have an issue in that I seem to be having some drop out audio with a USB RME Fireface 802 (I use mine as a Logic Pro X workstation). I never had this in my previous Z390 (ASUS Prime-z370-a w i7 8700K).

Also, RME Totalmix is taking ages to load on boot so I PRESUME there is a problem with my USB config somewhere. If anyone can lend a hand I would be super grateful as I'm going a bit above my pay grade now!

Last edited:
Hi, I built a Hackintosh 8 years ago that I kept working for almost 4 years so I have some experience (although very dated). However, for the last 4 years I've been using a MacBook Pro. I just decided to get back into a new Hackintosh and purchased all the same equipment as CaseySJ expect I got the "G" version instead of the "D". I didn't feel I need the TB support so figured I could save $100. Anyway, for the life of me I'm unable to get through step 7:

If macOS has not yet been installed:
  • Boot the Z490 Vision-D with the USB install disk connected.
  • Press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu and select the USB flash disk.
  • The OpenCore graphical boot picker will appear.

The OpenCore graphical boot picker will not appear for me. What shows up on the BIOS boot menu is "UEFI: iXpand, Partition 1". However, if I select that option the screen goes black for about 3 seconds and the same BIOS boot menu shows up again. I have rebuilt the USB drive twice now and have included the changes for the Vision G board. Would greatly appreciate any help folks can provide --- I know I'm only a short time away from a great Hackintosh if I can only just get through this menu.

Kind regards.
Hello @kiwimac,

Welcome to the forum. Let's see if we can get past this hurdle...

If the OpenCore boot picker itself does not appear, please check if EFI partition was created on USB install disk. Then post a screenshot of the EFI folder with the main sub folders expanded.

Last edited:
Hello @kiwimac,

Welcome to the forum. Let's see if we can get past this hurdle...

If the OpenCore boot picker itself does not appear, please check if EFI partition was created on USB install disk. Then post a screenshot of the EFI folder with the main sub folders expanded.

@CaseySJ - Many thanks for the quick response. I've attached a number of screenshots that might be useful. I'm building this machine with my son and figured this was a no brainer based on great instructions --- I guess somewhere I went wrong!

@hughythomas - Many thanks for your response also. I'm going to check out the video -- always good to come at things from many angles.

I appreciate all the help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.29.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.29.09 PM.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.29.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.29.18 PM.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.31.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.31.15 PM.png
    622.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.32.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.32.39 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.37.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.37.30 PM.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 119
@CaseySJ - Many thanks for the quick response. I've attached a number of screenshots that might be useful. I'm building this machine with my son and figured this was a no brainer based on great instructions --- I guess somewhere I went wrong!

@hughythomas - Many thanks for your response also. I'm going to check out the video -- always good to come at things from many angles.

I appreciate all the help.
It looks as if the “BOOT” and “OC” folders are at the root level of the EFI partition. However both of these folders must be placed inside a folder called “EFI”.

So we have an EFI partition and we need a folder at the root level of that disk called “EFI”. The BOOT and OC folders must then be moved inside the EFI folder.

Wow! Thank you very much for such a detailed manual! I'm in the process of upgrading my hackintosh.

I have a Cintiq that is probably using USB2 over Thunderbolt, same problem discovered here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-964#post-2029247 You posted an SSDT patch that enabled that on Z390. Is there a way you can help the same way with new SSDT? Thank you!
This is your lucky day because this is already standard now on the new V2 zip file attached to bottom of Post 1. The USB Map in “Tech Talk” also illustrates this.

It looks as if the “BOOT” and “OC” folders are at the root level of the EFI partition. However both of these folders must be placed inside a folder called “EFI”.

So we have an EFI partition and we need a folder at the root level of that disk called “EFI”. The BOOT and OC folders must then be moved inside the EFI folder.

@CaseySJ - Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't believe I made that mistake, but I'm now back on track.

Hi Casey. Thanks for the guide, superb resource. I had a question re intermixing the guide for the Designare Z390 and the Z490. I've been planning my build for a while and already have most of the components but just seen the Z490 get upped from a still tinkering to golden build. I'd love to put those extra threads to use in a 10th gen but I run a mix of Logic Plugins at 32 and 64bit. As such I'm avoiding Catalina. I'm wondering how tricky it would be for me to navigate a middle road between the installs. I've built 3 hacks to date through the uni/multibeast and kexts route. This looks like a tidy solution and I wondered whether I'd be biting off more than I can chew trying to merge the two guides. At the end of the day, dramatic downtime would cost me harder than missing a performance bump I probably won't notice coming from a 5th gen CPU... but plugins do love those threads

Back