Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

For AMD Radeon Vega 56/64/VII users:
in OpenCore you can add device property for your GPU, as explained in this thread:

Снимок экрана 2020-06-17 в 19.16.57.png

On screenshot you can see my Vega 64 properties, it includes overclocking, undervolting and "zero fan" mode for fans in PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable property.
My card works on 1070 MHz HBM2 memory clock, up to 1670 MHz GPU clock in P7 state, and 1070 mV on GPU in P7 state.

To make you own settings for overclocking/undervolting you can go to this thread and download xls file (pptable_v64-2.0.xlsx.zip) to calculate you setting (without VGTab application): https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/forum/thread/39923-tool-vega-64-powerplaytable-generator/

Before using this generator you can start AMD Adrenaline in Windows and test settings for your GPU (voltage, frequencies and GPU stability with overclocking/undervolting).

Upd: on RX 580 it possible too, but xls-calculator is not compatible with RX 580, and you need to use MSI Afterburner and get settings from Windows registry, if anyone need it - I'll do research how to do it.

Upd2: GFXBench Metal
without GPU oc/uv settings
Снимок экрана 2020-06-17 в 20.34.29.png

with GPU oc/uv settings
Снимок экрана 2020-06-17 в 20.34.37.png

Last edited:
hi, coming back Again.
still, cant find igpu anywahere, i tried log-out-icloud stuff, sidecar still wont work. it can perfectly work on my macbook though. in finalcut i cant select igpu either,there's only radeon 7.
Did you follow this build guide from Step 1 to Step 13? Please check BIOS parameters and run IORegistryExplorer, scroll down to IGPU@2 and post a screenshot.
and my monitor seems not working properly with this hacintosh, when i boot into the system,at first it's 4K when it's reading progress bar with the Apple logo on,then between in about half of the progress, it turned black and about 2secs later, a 1080P-like logo turned on, then it's the login screen...
This is 'normal'. It may not look ideal, but it's cosmetic.
and when i use 2 DP cable to connect my monitor, the sys will recognize them as 2 monitor rather than a 4K 144hz one, at the same time, no sound comes out from the monitor, which should be working when i use just one cable.
If you use two DP cables you will generally get two monitors. However, some questions:
  • Does your monitor have the ability to combine multiple DisplayPort streams from two DisplayPort cables?
  • Does this work on a real Mac?
  • Does it work if you run Windows on the same Hackintosh?
Regarding sound: If you followed this build guide from Step 1 to Step 13 then sound should work. You might want to compare your OpenCore config.plist settings with those in the Journey through OpenCore spoiler:

Last edited:
Hello @MuffinCrumbs,

It's been a while since we heard from you. Regarding Meg Z490I Unify, I would highly suspect that it uses Titan Ridge instead of Alpine Ridge. If someone has a clear view of the front and back of the board, perhaps we can spot the chip and read the part number printed on that chip...

The Thunderbolt firmware chip is, of course, separate from the Thunderbolt controller chip. The firmware chip is typically a Winbond 25Q80DV or a Macronix MX25L800xx. We should be able to read and flash that device. Keyword "should".

Update: Just confirmed that MSI Z490I Unify does in fact use a Titan Ridge controller.
View attachment 476568

Awesome. I might actually go with this board. The only thing that concerns me is the Wifi card. I would have to replace it with the Fenvi BCM94360NG. As there is only one PCIe slot.

I'm not sure, but it is probably not ideal to use a wifi card via ThunderBolt. It might perhaps not be stable. unless flashing theWinbond 25Q80DV or a Macronix MX25L800xx (depending on which chip it is), makes it better.

@CaseySJ comment about Vision G adaptation after testing:
USB needs SSDT-EC-USBX.aml (I sent you this file in ZIP archive) to start all ports correctly without XchiPortLimit quirk, if use only SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-UIAC-VISION-G-V1.aml only 15 ports works.
@Ayvan,

In the ZIP file you provided earlier, there are two files:
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml
  • SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
However, SSDT-EC-USBX only contains the USBX device, but not EC device. Should EC device be added to that file?

@Ayvan,

In the ZIP file you provided earlier, there are two files:
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml
  • SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
However, SSDT-EC-USBX only contains the USBX device, but not EC device. Should EC device be added to that file?

Can EC device be added by SSDT-EC.aml? My SSDT-EC-USBX generated by Hackintool and I use it with SSDT-EC.

Update:
May Hackintool add EC device to SSDT-EC-USBX if generate file when SSDT-EC not added to system?

Last edited:
many thanks @CaseySJ for this thread and the detailed descriptions!

I have a very similar build and problems with sleep mode. I have been looking for hours for solutions, replugging components, trying out various configurations, etc. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

When I try to go into sleep mode, it takes about 20-25s and then the system turns off completely (all LEDs on the board go off). Afterwards I can only reboot the system by pressing the power button on the case several times. The board then makes a cold double boot (on off on) and boots afterwards like after a normal hutdown.

pmset -g log | grep -I failure shows...

"Failure during sleep: 0xFFFFFFFF0000001F : EFI/Bootrom Failure after last point of entry to sleep"

I have observed it a few times that the system successfully went into sleep mode. In this case the LEDs from the board stay on and I can successfully wake up the system by pressing a key. I have observed these successful cases without having made any changes to the hardware or software configuration before. But it also happens very rarely.

My system: i9-10900K, Z490 Vision D, SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 2 TB, Fenvi T919, Radeon 5700 XT.

Devices connected to the internal usb headers: Fenvi T919, Kraken X73, NZXT Usb Hub, NZXT Smart Device, Corsair Lightning Node Core. Today I tried to unplug the Fenvi T919 as I saw that @dranose seems to have a similar problem and said it helps. Afterwards the system did not go into sleep mode at all anymore (it didn't turn off at all).

I also tried to disconnect all devices except the Fenvi T919 and the Kraken X73 from the two USB headers. Unfortunately, this also had no positive effect. The behaviour has remained the same.

One difference to other systems here seems to be that I use a second NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD exclusively for Windows. I'm not sure it's relevant. The SSD is located in the M.2 slot above the SSD for macOS.

Can anyone help me figure out how to proceed?

Last edited:
@CaseySJ tested, system starts without SSDT-EC, Hackintool generates the same files.
Снимок экрана 2020-06-18 в 02.09.46.png

Update:
ooops, forgot to disable XhciPortLimit quirk when tests SSDT for USB yesterday... Need some time to re-test USB....

Update 2:
ok, it's strange, but:
1. System boots without SSDT-EC
2. With or without SSDT-UIAC, SSDT-USBX and SSDT-EC (tests UIAC+EC, UIAC only, UIAC+EC-USBX, UIAC+EC+EC-USBX) I have only 15 ports without XhciPortLimit quirk, but i'm sure it worked before without XhciPortLimit quirk (or, may be, it was enabled, and I forgot about it?).
3. With quirk XhciPortLimit all works good (sleep and wake too).

Last days I change my config more than 10 times, testing something, and I'm not sure it was not affected USB ports...

Update 3:
@CaseySJ earlier in this thread you said (after my posts and testing results in your system) that everything worked for you with UIAC and without XhciPortLimit quirk, now you have more than 15 ports, and all works as expected?

Update 4:
And one more strange thing: yesterday, after cleaning NVRAM by EFI tool, OpenCore stops add to BIOS boot menu variant “OpenCore”. Early it adds each time after OC start, if NVRAM was cleared. - it was misc -> security -> bootprotect -> "bootstrap" option, disabled it yesterday

Last edited:
and when i use 2 DP cable to connect my monitor, the sys will recognize them as 2 monitor rather than a 4K 144hz one, at the same time, no sound comes out from the monitor, which should be working when i use just one cable.
If you use two DP cables you will generally get two monitors. However, some questions:
  • Does your monitor have the ability to combine multiple DisplayPort streams from two DisplayPort cables?
  • Does this work on a real Mac?
  • Does it work if you run Windows on the same Hackintosh?
Regarding sound: If you followed this build guide from Step 1 to Step 13 then sound should work. You might want to compare your OpenCore config.plist settings with those in the Journey through OpenCore spoiler:
The secret sauce for enabling dual cable displays is still unknown (whether it's 8K 60Hz or 4K 144Hz)

BTW, there is a small addition that I don't see very often in guides. I've had trouble with two Z390 and this Z490 board with pro USB sound cards on Catalina (and a bit less on Mojave) like Focusrite and MOTU that were just cutting the sound on and off randomly every few seconds. This was fixed instantly by disabling the Serial port in the BIOS. So maybe that can help someone ;)
Hi, I had this problem in my Z390 Designare. It was particularly bad in ProTools. I have the Scarlett2i4. I solved the problem by changing which usb port the focusrite was plugged into. No problem since i changed the port. With the z490 vision i have not had the problem.

Followed these instructions precisely....Thanks @CaseySJ for all of the hard work and documentation. Everything appears to be working great for me with the following Hardware:
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Intel I7 10700K
Mushkin Pilot 2TB PCIe NVMe 1.3 M.2
Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ Rx 5700 Xt
Fenvi T919 Wifi/BT card
G.Skill 32 GB (2 x 16GB) RipJaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz

Back