Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

...The basic unit is up, we needed to spoof the CPUID for the i7 to boot, but the i5 seems to work out of the box. ...
@tonben,

Was it necessary for you to also specify CPUID in the kernel section of OpenCore config.plist?

@CaseySJ I just want to say thanks for all your work helping people in this thread.

I have achieved success with my recent build. I mostly used the dortania guide , but I definitely consulted and read through this guide quite a bit, too.

specs: iMac19,1 / Z490 Vision D / i7-10700K / Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC / 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 Mhz
2TB Inland Premium NVME SSD in slot 2 running macOS Catalina 10.15.5, Opencore 0.5.9
1TB Sabrent Rocket NVME SSD in m.2 slot 1 running Windows 10 Pro
Phantenks Eclipse P600S

biggest challenge was: my RX 5700 GPU was giving me problems with the install, even with the pikera boot-arg. apple logo to a grey screen with error message and text after the first reboot.

The fix was: I had to add -wegnoegpu to the boot-args in USB drive's config.plist *after* the first reboot in the install process. then, remove the USB drive, remove the -wegnoegpu boot arg, and then finish the install.
Everything else was a breeze comparatively-- that part took quite a while to figure out.

sleep/wake working, thunderbolt hotplug seems to be working... still need to fix my audio layout id, but I am using an external audio interface with 0 issues, so that is low on my priority list. Also need to figure out how to enable the iGPU because sidecar isn't working yet. Oh and the 2.5gig Ethernet isn't working yet, only the 1gig. using onboard Bluetooth and no issues with it so far. Eventually I will get a Fenvi Bluetooth card. Does sidecar require wifi to work as well, even if you use it with a wired connection?

one of my front panel USB ports causes external hard disks to show up as internal. not a huge issue. I'm guessing this is due to the port limit?

one thing I was wondering--what is the downside of continuing to use the CFG Lock patches in the config.plist? What benefit will I notice from disabling it in the BIOS? I am kinda nervous about bricking my install as I already jumped the gun and transferred loads of files and setup all my software.

I guess I should really get on making a bootable backup drive... wow, anyway I typed more than I meant to. Thanks again, this community has impressed me with how responsive and helpful everyone is, and I really enjoyed building my first hackintosh.

Last edited by a moderator:
using onboard bluetooth and no issues with it so far.

Um @0rca ... you got the Z490 Vision D Bluetooth to work?! That's pretty great news, since I'd been having a little trouble with my USB Bluetooth adapter.

I note that @CaseySJ mentioned in the guide that one of the SSDTs installed will disable it:
Disables on-board Intel Bluetooth module residing on HS14

@0rca did you remove one of the SSDT files to get this to work?

Um @0rca ... you got the Z490 Vision D Bluetooth to work?! That's pretty great news, since I'd been having a little trouble with my USB Bluetooth adapter.

I note that @CaseySJ mentioned in the guide that one of the SSDTs installed will disable it:

There are two cases in which on board Intel Bluetooth can work, but each has its limitations:
  • If we boot Windows first and warm-boot into macOS, then Intel Bluetooth will partially work. Mice and keyboards may connect. We won't be able to turn Bluetooth off and on the next cold boot, it will stop working again. Handoff, Continuity, etc. will not work.
  • If we use the AppleIntelBluetooth kext being developed by zxystd on GitHub. This is the most promising option, but at this time Handoff, Continuity, etc. do not work.

@0rca,

Welcome to the forum! CFG-Lock should be disabled. There is virtually no risk now because of the CFGLock.efi. Because macOS is already installed on your system, you're in a position to simply create a new USB Boot Disk by following the appropriate sections of the build guide in Post #1. This will be completely independent of your existing installation, so you can freely experiment with the new boot disk before deciding whether or not to commit to it.

The issues you describe have already been resolved in the OpenCore 0.5.9 ZIP file in Post 1. However, a compatible Broadcom-based WiFi/BT card is strongly recommended at this time.

Hello, my Z490 vision d motherboard is set like this, BIOS->Settings->Platform Power->ErP->Enabled
Then the computer shuts down, press the power button, the motherboard will start twice, is this the same for you?

This is a shot of my EFI folder. It was giving me trouble at first, so I just went with a super basic install, figured I could tweak from there more easily once it was installed.

I am just using a magic keyboard 2 + magic trackpad 2... I actually haven't tested the bluetooth much beyond that. I plan to add one of the broadcom cards pretty soon, probably will order it next week. I haven't decided whether or not to use my 3rd m.2 slot for it or just get a PCIe card one... if the m.2 card can use the integrated antenna, that would be ideal, rather than having more antennae sticking out the back

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.12.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 10.12.13 PM.png
    425.8 KB · Views: 77
@0rca,

Welcome to the forum! CFG-Lock should be disabled. There is virtually no risk now because of the CFGLock.efi. Because macOS is already installed on your system, you're in a position to simply create a new USB Boot Disk by following the appropriate sections of the build guide in Post #1. This will be completely independent of your existing installation, so you can freely experiment with the new boot disk before deciding whether or not to commit to it.

The issues you describe have already been resolved in the OpenCore 0.5.9 ZIP file in Post 1. However, a compatible Broadcom-based WiFi/BT card is strongly recommended at this time.

Awesome, thanks--I will definitely do that then. I will read over that section again before I attempt.

I actually got spooked initially because I tried tweaking the OS EFI and it didn't boot-- had to use the USB to recover. but at least I was smart enough to keep two backups of my working EFI. In the future for tweaking I will boot from the USB, that's definitely much safer.

Has anyone had issues with the 15.5 supplemental update? & is it safe to install it straight from the macOS software update in system prefs? I was hesitant to attempt it after the issues I had with my GPU during initial install.

Mine also has a white label marked Rev 1.1. Have you tried enabling CSM Support in BIOS?

Hey what an AWESOME suggestion!

This (setting CSM Support to Enabled) solved it - I googled a bit about it, indeed some video cards may require legacy BIOS features to work... and as a coincidence all my cards seem to require it. Some graphics cards manufacturers provide firmware upgrades for this but for my Sapphire RX 580 I'd need Win10 to do it which I am not keen on - and I am not even sure that will fix it.

Many thanks for this @CaseySJ and for the awesome guide you put together!

You may want to add a note there around CSM support for poor souls like me who happen to have the wrong video card :)

Update: In the meantime Gigabyte also came back with the same suggestion. Pretty quick turnaround.

Last edited:
Back